Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Why the pricing inconsistency

With Q7ís now selling for around $300 and Q10ís regularly selling for around $175 I wonder how some folks think they can sell a Q for over $500.
Pentax Q Digital 12 4MP 3 0" LCD Camera w 8 5mm Lens White 027075207967 | eBay

What I find funny is the name of this company and their claim that you wonít pay Big. Before I sell something on Ebay I do research to see the actually selling price of a similar item. I wonder if companies do any market research before they list cameraís?

09-21-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
Pentaxian

THis is the same for manty items on Ebay . The world is a big ponds and a lot of fish ready to bite to anything.
09-21-2014, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
THis is the same for manty items on Ebay . The world is a big ponds and a lot of fish ready to bite to anything.
Yep. Pricing varies widely by region and what is high in the U.S. may be a bargain in another part of the world.

Steve
09-21-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yep. Pricing varies widely by region and what is high in the U.S. may be a bargain in another part of the world.

Steve
Yes, that is true for regional sales of items however, Ebay is a much larger global environment. With so many of the same item selling for much less it would seem that to compete and call yourself a Big Value company you would at least price your product similar to others being sold. Not three times as much as others are selling for. Imagine listing a three year old car for three times what a current model is bringing. That would not happen. From a marketing perspective when dealing in a global market such as Ebay, it does not make sense.

09-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
Forum Member

Many sellers will raise their price to a totally unrealistic level if they are out of stock - their price then returns to market value when they get more stock in. A bizarre practice at first glance, but it saves them the time and effort of writing a new listing.
09-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Because it is Ebay? And these folks do their research, don't assume they are asking those prices because they don't know any better. All it takes is one sale at the high price to make a huge payoff. No different than scammers in any other place.

Another possibility, is money laundering. And another is that you get something a little more in the package if you include the right code word. No one who actually knows the real price will buy, but if you know what is going on then you do.
09-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 35millimeter Quote
Many sellers will raise their price to a totally unrealistic level if they are out of stock - their price then returns to market value when they get more stock in. A bizarre practice at first glance, but it saves them the time and effort of writing a new listing.
^ This ^

Though some private sellers haven't a clue and want to get their own purchasing price back.
As a rule, eBay is the wrong place to buy cameras or anything other than cheaper acc's.
09-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
With Q7ís now selling for around $300 and Q10ís regularly selling for around $175 I wonder how some folks think they can sell a Q for over $500.
By bundling it with the elusive 01 prime, and selling to folk who are in a hurry to get that lens.

However, the evil inlet is not the only place for inconsistencies.

At the big NYC retailers, an 02 zoom alone may cost as much as the same lens in a bundle with a Q7.

---------- Post added 09-21-14 at 05:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 35millimeter Quote
That doesn't seem to apply in this case: They're promising delivery next week.

09-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter

It's not just unscrupulous dealers on ebay, here's a couple of local Craig's List ads, some people think their items never depreciate in value:

Pentax K-m/K2000 digital camera for sale. Includes camera and strap, 2 interchangeable lenses, batteries, memory card, software, USB cable and carrying case. Lenses are Pentax-DA 18-55mm and 50-200mm. In perfect condition, used only twice in the past. Send message if interested or if you have questions. Thank you for your interest! (Price is $600)

I have a Pentax k100d digital camera for sale. Barely used, like new. Comes with original box, manuals, cords, and attachments. Asking $250 it is well worth the price. (it does have an 18-55)
(The camera looks OK, it may be dusty, they have the box pictured, it is crushed, hope the camera wasn't in it!)

They probably really do have low shutter counts!
09-21-2014, 07:11 PM   #10
Forum Member

Not to be a contrarian, but I like my Q more than my Q7. Could it simply be the demand for the Q is higher and the supply is lower?
09-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Yes, that is true for regional sales of items however, Ebay is a much larger global environment. With so many of the same item selling for much less it would seem that to compete and call yourself a Big Value company you would at least price your product similar to others being sold.
Perhaps you did not understand my writing. I was talking worldwide. EBay prices reflect the value of the item in the market the seller intends to penetrate. It is not unusual to have stuff (not just Pentax) be listed on eBay at a higher than market price and have it sell at those prices due to the item being unavailable for sale in many countries. It may be for sale on the Web for much less, but many Web merchants will not sell to many countries.* For sure, Pentax and other camera products are priced higher in some markets (Europe, for example), but that is not what is driving the strange eBay pricing.

Steve

* E.g. certain pariah states and those in which the chance of theft en route is high.

---------- Post added 09-21-14 at 07:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Another possibility, is money laundering.
Indeed. Or even to move goods across borders on the black market. The purchase price merely goes out one pocket and into the other.
09-22-2014, 12:06 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Perhaps you did not understand my writing. I was talking worldwide. EBay prices reflect the value of the item in the market the seller intends to penetrate. It is not unusual to have stuff (not just Pentax) be listed on eBay at a higher than market price and have it sell at those prices due to the item being unavailable for sale in many countries. It may be for sale on the Web for much less, but many Web merchants will not sell to many countries.* For sure, Pentax and other camera products are priced higher in some markets (Europe, for example), but that is not what is driving the strange eBay pricing.

Steve

* E.g. certain pariah states and those in which the chance of theft en route is high.

---------- Post added 09-21-14 at 07:24 PM ----------

Indeed. Or even to move goods across borders on the black market. The purchase price merely goes out one pocket and into the other.
I never understand the fuzz.. if I want it new, BHPHOTO or Adorama are always my to-go place. their prices are honest. ebay might get lucky if you are getting second hand cameras.. but for cameras that aren't officially in the store, people tend to smuggling from Japan which they wanted to have unrealistic profit for. If you ever shopping in Japan, you will know this. In Japan, majority of electronics aren't cheaper than US. However, when it's onsale, it is indeed cheaper. For camera equipments would be great if they are on promotion and give back some % of store credits, and that's how BHPhoto survive while buying bulk.

However, individual sellers don't have the buying power and earning margin from the store credits.. They have to actually trick some mind who are blind (or not doing researches) and just buy off from them by mistakes. These sellers also do not provide any kind of warranty whatsoever.

I only turn to ebay if bhphoto doesn't have stock of colors or options I want. Otherwise, I always buy from them if I need a "NEW" equipment. For things that is truly NEW from the box, ebay doesn't offer any better price at all.. at most you probably thought you saved $10 from MSRP, then they charge you $30 for shipping something like that. Of curse! buying USED, it's a completely different story~
09-22-2014, 09:43 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I donít care what part of the world you are in, these prices are ridiculous but very amusing.

PENTAX Black Digital Camera w/Dual-Lens Kit | Quill.com
09-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #14

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Another possibility, is money laundering. .
I think this kind of goes on a lot. And another thing I think goes on is contraband selling. A few years ago I started noticing a lot of used parts that were way out of pricing logic being sold. Like, a couple of rusty 10mm bolts. You could go to Menards and buy a couple of new zinc plated 10mm 1/2" long bolts, but here are a couple of rusty ones that should just be thrown away selling on Ebay for $25- $45. Or a spring out of a motorcycle carb for $50+. And not even something rare. And the numbers were never even, they were like, $28.97 and $53.79 or something and they were all Buy it Now auctions...it was really strange. At first glance you could have chalked it up to a sucker born every minute, but this guy was selling hundreds of items like this. It'd be like if someone started taking old ME or whatever film cameras apart and was selling a winding knob for $40 or a camera back off of one for $100, all listed as buy it now...and they all sold.

I wonder what the people were getting WITH their rusty parts...
09-24-2014, 12:31 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I don’t care what part of the world you are in, these prices are ridiculous but very amusing.

PENTAX Black Digital Camera w/Dual-Lens Kit | Quill.com
Agree, amusing price that. If it had Leica on the front it would make sense though.

As has been pointed out, in some parts of the world, we pay large premiums for the official distributors margin, but even in South Africa here we have some wan-a-be online stores quoting prices 30-50% up on main local agent pricing. Here it is very easy to import from the big international stores with the only rider being courier cost and local tax. So with the connected world and so much info freely available, some of these online types have lost the plot.