Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2014, 06:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Using a Q with a conventional Astro scope.

I'm use my 560mm Astro scope with a T adapter with good results on my K5.
With a new Q body for only 110 bucks plus a T adapter I thought I'd try the same setup with a Q.

However...

...on the K5 I have to go to the custom menu and set custom setting number 27 "using aperture ring" to permitted in order to make the shutter work.

The problem is when looking at the Q user manual no such setting is available.

So what do you think - can I setup my T mounted astro scope on the Q to work as well as it does on the k5 or not?
BTW Q to T mount adapters are available.

Last edited by wildman; 09-22-2014 at 06:48 AM.
09-22-2014, 06:47 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With updated firmware the Q will ask for a focal length when you adapt a non Q lens.
Not sure what adapter you will need but I'm thinking a K-Q if you are adapting to the K-5.
Electronic shutter will work if not using the OEM k-q adapter which has a leaf shutter.
09-22-2014, 07:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
With updated firmware the Q will ask for a focal length when you adapt a non Q lens.
Not sure what adapter you will need but I'm thinking a K-Q if you are adapting to the K-5.
Electronic shutter will work if not using the OEM k-q adapter which has a leaf shutter.
The matter of a physical adaptation of the scope to the Q is no problem.

Amazon.com : Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, T-mount Lens to Pentax Q-Series Camera, fits Pentax Q Mirrorless Cameras : Camera & Photo

Just screw one end of the adapter into the back end of the scope and snap the other end into the Q.

My question is if the damn shutter will work without having that same custom setting that is required with the K5,
Is shutter system of the Q much different than on a conventional Pentax DSLR like the K5?

Last edited by wildman; 09-22-2014 at 07:14 AM.
09-22-2014, 07:19 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
The matter of a physical adaptation of the scope to the Q is no problem.

Amazon.com : Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, T-mount Lens to Pentax Q-Series Camera, fits Pentax Q Mirrorless Cameras : Camera & Photo

Just screw the adapter into the back end of the scope and snap the Q to the other end of the adapter.

My question is if the damn shutter will work without having that same custom setting that is required with the K5,
Is shutter system of the Q much different than on a K5?
It is an entirely different shutter. The mechanical leaf shutter is built into certain lenses and the OEM adapter, not the body.
The electronic shutter that turns the sensor on and off is used instead when leaf shutter is not present.
It has limitations for long exposure as to how long it stays open, and also it has a sequential shutoff for the sensor lines that could cause issues with moving subjects.
If your application is astro photography check the Astro thread for more info.
If it is daylight telephoto check the Reach thread.

09-22-2014, 07:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
It will fire. It's the same as using any other adapted lens on the Q - no setting needed. The Q uses a shutter simulator (i.e. just a reading of the sensor for a short period of time) on adapted lenses without the OEM PK adapter, which has, like the Q lenses themselves, an internal mechanical shutter.
If so I might as well have them throw this in and see what my conventional K mount glass will do on the Q as well?

Amazon.com : Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Pentax K Lens to Pentax Q Series Camera : Adapter Q For Pentax Q : Camera & Photo

---------- Post added 09-22-14 at 09:48 AM ----------

If it is daylight telephoto check the Reach thread.
Where is that? - I did a search and can't find it.
09-22-2014, 08:20 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For adapted lesnes reference see the sticky https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested...ce-thread.html

For telephoto see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/173602-reach-q-images.html

---------- Post added 09-22-14 at 08:24 AM ----------

If so I might as well have them throw this in and see what my conventional K mount glass will do on the Q as well?

Amazon.com : Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Pentax K Lens to Pentax Q Series Camera : Adapter Q For Pentax Q : Camera & Photo

That adapter will not work if you have lenses without aperture such as DA type - try this instead
http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter-Aperture-Pentax-Series/dp/B006NQ9T34/...s=fotodiox+Q-K
09-22-2014, 10:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

I have the same adapter and it works great with old lenses WITH an aperture ring. You are limited to a 2sec exp. time though, and a tripod mount is a must for anything over a 100mm lens. The Pentax brand converter is really the best way to go if you've got the $199.

09-23-2014, 02:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That adapter will not work if you have lenses without aperture such as DA type - try this instead
Amazon.com : Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter with Aperture Dial, Pentax K Lens to Pentax Q Series Camera : Camera & Photo
I can assume that this one will work as well on either type of lens or should I get both?
Also I have the original OEM Pentax K mount to m42 adapter and I can see no reason why this couldn't be snapped into it and also use my Taks with it?
09-23-2014, 03:42 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Fotodiox with aperture ring will work with all K mount lenses. It has the aperture ring to adjust newer aperture ringless K mont lenses. Older K mount lenses with aperture rings will also work. To use the screw thread Taks, the flush mount screw adapter can be used with the Fotodiox adapter.

If you do a lot of astronomical work with your astro scope, the 2 second shutter speed limit will become a major limitation. At this point the Pentax made P-K adapter will be worth its weight in gold. It is nice to shoot longer than 2 seconds.

A wireless remote is also very useful with high magnification lenses. Vibration is the enemy. Having the Q mirrorless camera is a huge benefit.

Have fun.
thanks
barondla
09-23-2014, 06:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
The Fotodiox with aperture ring will work with all K mount lenses. It has the aperture ring to adjust newer aperture ringless K mont lenses. Older K mount lenses with aperture rings will also work. To use the screw thread Taks, the flush mount screw adapter can be used with the Fotodiox adapter.
Good to know.

If you do a lot of astronomical work with your astro scope, the 2 second shutter speed limit will become a major limitation. At this point the Pentax made P-K adapter will be worth its weight in gold. It is nice to shoot longer than 2 seconds.
No. Daylight terrestrial only - BTW will almost always be used on a heavy fork mounted tripod.

A wireless remote is also very useful with high magnification lenses. Vibration is the enemy. Having the Q mirrorless camera is a huge benefit.
I have both the OEM Pentax wired (Cable Switch CS-205) and "F" remote for the K5, will ether of these work on the Q?

Last edited by wildman; 09-23-2014 at 06:14 AM.
09-23-2014, 06:58 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is no port for wired remote on any Q body.
All iR remotes for Pentax will work.

Since I always forget my remote I use 2 sec delay instead
09-23-2014, 07:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Plus there is an IR sensor on the front and back of the Q, so you don't have to point the remote at just the front of the camera.
09-23-2014, 08:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
FYI: while there is an IR sensor on the rear, for some reason its performance is substantially inferior to the one on the front. Usually you have to be within just a few inches to get it to register.
I've always thought that was strange. You would think the sensors would be the same. My guess is if you're in front of the camera, you're going to be several yards away but if you're behind the camera, you would only be a few feet? Still, it's very convenient for my set-up.
09-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK now for the big question:

HOW DO YOU FOCUS IT?

I see plenty of shots of large slow moving waders and static architectural and other features but...

.... how do you get on and stay on target let alone focus it without a proper viewfinder?
I'm talking about small nervous little wood warblers deep in the bush at say at least 30x magnification or more.

I'm not saying it can't be done occasionally and by pure dumb luck but can it be done consistently like when I use my scope on the K5?
Off hand I can't imagine trying to find and focus quickly and accurately using only a LCD especially at high magnifications.

But I have no experience with the Q so I'm willing to listen.

Typical for me - no more than 10 seconds to see, acquire, compose and fire:
NOTE: this bird is in real life about one third the size of your fist.

Last edited by wildman; 10-06-2014 at 05:00 AM.
09-23-2014, 12:35 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK now for the big question:

HOW DO YOU FOCUS IT?

I see plenty of shots of large slow moving waders and static architectural and other features but...

.... how do you get on and stay on target let alone focus it without a proper viewfinder?
I'm talking about small nervous little wood warblers deep in the bush at say at least 30x magnification or more.

I'm not saying it can't be done occasionally and by pure dumb luck but can it be done consistently like when I use my scope on the K5?
Off hand I can't imagine trying to find and focus quickly and accurately using only a LCD especially at high magnifications.

But I have no experience with the Q so I'm willing to listen.

Typical for me - no more than 10 seconds to see, acquire, compose and fire:
NOTE: this bird is in real life about one third the size of your fist.
These are the types of discussions we have in the reach thread.

Personally, I find assistive devices including a red dot scope for targeting and a loupe for focusing on the magnified image along with a steady tripod very helpful.

I use a 300mm lens primarily and still find it a challenge, I can only imagine what a 560mm scope must bring since now you are shooting at 3080mm effective focal length.

Using the Q with long lenses takes time and a methodical approach.

Active subjects that only stay in one spot for a few seconds is an exercise in frustration, so I stick to static objects or those with focused activity, say feeding or at a nest.

When it all comes together the results can be very satisfying.