Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
What is focus peaking?

What is focus peaking? How do you use focus peaking? when do you use it?

09-26-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Short version.

Long winded advert version (jump to :35).

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 09-26-2014 at 08:35 PM.
09-26-2014, 09:40 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sidwes14 Quote
What is focus peaking? How do you use focus peaking? when do you use it?
It's just a manual focusing aid. It highlights edges that are in focus (in live view) so you can more easily tell what's in focus without having to zoom in as much.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-26-2014, 11:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

A gimmick...
Maybe it's just Pentax's implementation of the feature, but I have no luck using it with the K-01, Q or K-50. To my eye there's too much range within the almost-in-focus/in-focus/just-out-of-focus range where the highlighting occurs.
I get better MF results without using FP.

09-27-2014, 07:02 AM   #5

It really helps me on the 03 fisheye. I set the zoom to 4x amd turn on focus peaking so when you hit the ok button you get a zoomed version of your shot to see the highlights better. Bring those little dots to where you want your depth of field and focus and shoot
10-09-2014, 04:08 AM   #6

I first discovered focus peaking when I purchased my K-01, and I find it an invaluable tool. If you always use a DSLR and always use the optical viewfinder when taking pictures then you probably won't need focus peaking. But, if you use live view on your DSLR, or have a mirrorless camera such as the K-01 or any of the Q series, then focus peaking is very useful indeed. Basically it makes it very easy to manually adjust your lens to ensure that the exact part of the subject that you wish to be in focus, is in focus. The camera screen shows a white highlighted fringe around portions of the subject that are focussed, and turning the focus ring on your lens moves the effect around the subject giving you a live visual indication of the depth of focus. It's a really useful, accurate tool, and one that I use a great deal. It's especially handy for me on the K-01 when mounting older manual lenses. Using them becomes a breeze. I see that Steve doesn't get on well with it, but everyone has their own styles and preferences, and for me, with my lenses, it works brilliantly.

ps - If I had my way the absolutely perfect electronic focus aid would be an emulated diagonal split focus ring, just like the pentaprism version in my old film era Chinon CE4-S SLR. I see that Fuji have taken the first step with this notion!!
10-09-2014, 08:28 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
A gimmick...
Maybe it's just Pentax's implementation of the feature, but I have no luck using it with the K-01, Q or K-50. To my eye there's too much range within the almost-in-focus/in-focus/just-out-of-focus range where the highlighting occurs.
I get better MF results without using FP.
Remember to hit the OK button and zoom in, Steve!

White was not a great colour for the cameras' designers to choose, BTW.
10-11-2014, 12:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Just got a Q less then a week ago.
Never had focus peaking on a camera before so I tried it out with the Q after reading this thread.
Works fine for me and a real advantage when trying to focus 560mm glass on fast moving birds using just the LCD.

Full frame...

Last edited by wildman; 10-12-2014 at 06:32 AM.
10-11-2014, 01:37 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Wish the focus peaking colour was not white. Doesn't stand out enough. Otherwise I find it very useful and I can't believe other brands do not have it.
10-11-2014, 02:40 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
Wish the focus peaking colour was not white. Doesn't stand out enough. Otherwise I find it very useful and I can't believe other brands do not have it.
Just a guess on my part-

As I used it I found that it became very intuitive. The white gives a "natural" sense of increasing sharpness rather like looking through a viewfinder which may very well be the reason it's in white. As I used it I started to not pay attention to the details of the display but to the overall sense of "sharpness" the halo gave to the scene and just snapped the shutter when it looked "sharp" just as I would with my K5. It sort of feels like normal manual focus with the K5. Using it this way not only increased accuracy but speed - very important to a Birder.

My guess is any other color other than a neutral white would not so realistically give this impression of sharpness.
Seems to me the best deal is give the user 2 or 3 colors to choose from, including white, depending on what they are doing.
10-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote

My guess is any other color other than a neutral white would not so realistically give this impression of sharpness.
Unfortunately, white or off-white occurs very often in many objects in many scenes.

As we've been saying, a choice would have been better.