Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2014, 09:48 AM - 4 Likes   #1

Pentax Q-S1 Review

The video review is up!

09-27-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Wow.. 1hr 49min !? That's rather a long talk about one camera. I'll just assume the reviewer must like it
09-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
a lot!
09-27-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Very good review. Many thanks for that

09-27-2014, 04:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
1:48:46??!! Wow!

Summary?
09-27-2014, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #6

Thanks for the comprehensive review!

QuoteOriginally posted by knightzerox Quote
The video review is up!

Pentax Q S1 - YouTube
After watching the whole thing, I don't think there's any feature I'm not aware of on the Q-S1! I really like the aesthetic of the Q-S1, but the premium over the Q7 right now gives me pause.

Question: Do you have to call Pentax (or a retailer) to order a Q-S1 with an 01 prime (and a matching finish)? I tried the color options on Ricoh Imaging but it always bundles it with the 02 zoom.

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
1:48:46??!! Wow!

Summary?
Pretty much everything is covered: a comparison with the original Q, (the Q-S1 is a little larger), how the Q's changed and been refined (especially in the improvement of JPEGs versus RAWs), the ergonomic features, like the aluminum knob and the very slight curve in the body next to it to accommodate one's fingers (something I hadn't seen in the photographs), size: "purseable, not pocketable," a one-by-one look at the menu options, including the handy magnification feature for focusing and the magical green button, neither of which I knew about. Video capabilities, (or lack thereof) including the continuous AF feature, electronic/lens shutters, the smart dial and the things that be assigned to it (smart effects, aspect ratio, AF mode, ND filter on/off...), another feature which lets you know which highlights are going to be killed (I think) by making those areas red, the strengths of smaller sensors (large DOF at large apertures, small lenses) their weaknesses, (noisier, lower dynamic range, less MP), and how to work with/around them: multiple exposures, HDR (auto's nice), stitching, the Brenizer method, a look at the lenses, including the newer 08 and the cool 06 (which twists past its zoom range to snap to a shorter length for storage) ...it's like a video manual, there's a lot in there, and a lot of new stuff for someone who hasn't explored all the features on the K-30, and doesn't own a Q, but is looking at buying one
09-28-2014, 05:28 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goodnight Quote
After watching the whole thing, I don't think there's any feature I'm not aware of on the Q-S1! I really like the aesthetic of the Q-S1, but the premium over the Q7 right now gives me pause.

Question: Do you have to call Pentax (or a retailer) to order a Q-S1 with an 01 prime (and a matching finish)? I tried the color options on Ricoh Imaging but it always bundles it with the 02 zoom.

Pretty much everything is covered: a comparison with the original Q, (the Q-S1 is a little larger), how the Q's changed and been refined (especially in the improvement of JPEGs versus RAWs), the ergonomic features, like the aluminum knob and the very slight curve in the body next to it to accommodate one's fingers (something I hadn't seen in the photographs), size: "purseable, not pocketable," a one-by-one look at the menu options, including the handy magnification feature for focusing and the magical green button, neither of which I knew about. Video capabilities, (or lack thereof) including the continuous AF feature, electronic/lens shutters, the smart dial and the things that be assigned to it (smart effects, aspect ratio, AF mode, ND filter on/off...), another feature which lets you know which highlights are going to be killed (I think) by making those areas red, the strengths of smaller sensors (large DOF at large apertures, small lenses) their weaknesses, (noisier, lower dynamic range, less MP), and how to work with/around them: multiple exposures, HDR (auto's nice), stitching, the Brenizer method, a look at the lenses, including the newer 08 and the cool 06 (which twists past its zoom range to snap to a shorter length for storage) ...it's like a video manual, there's a lot in there, and a lot of new stuff for someone who hasn't explored all the features on the K-30, and doesn't own a Q, but is looking at buying one

Hi, thank you for the comments. I'm glad someone found it helpful. To answer your questions, it looks like the US Ricoh site will only allow color changes, but if you go to the Japanese version, you can select a matching 01 lens. I know some retailers like B&H have different custom combinations coming, but I would give US Ricoh a call and see if they can order you one.

I would suggest the Q7 if budget is a concern, however , there are a few main features that have been upgraded over the Q7. AF Speed, Continuous Movie AF, and Styling, possibly IQ improvement as well. I know I sounded harsh on the Continuous AF, it does work, just has some quirks to be ironed out.

It looks like I'll need to make a par 2 as I didn't get time to cover the Playback mode and options, Turning the camera into near dead silent street shooter, and spend more time showing image IQ samples.

I know the review is long enough already, but I don't understand how any reviewer can explain all the details and a parts of a camera in it's usage without talking about all these points. I'm sure I could get it under 1-1.5 hours if I had too.

09-28-2014, 09:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks for taking the time to put together the video on the Q-S1 and for posting it. I know how long it takes to produce such material so I know you put a lot of time into it.

I followed along and except for the auto focus in movie mode, which apparently needs more work, it seems that the Q-S1 is operationally exactly the same as the Q7.

I noted your issue with the flash. When using some sort of diffuser or bounce card, set the flash to FLASH ON. If it is set to any of the Auto flash modes, you will have the issue you mention. But then I really do not think such flashes are designed to be used as bounce flash, a technique better reserved for DSLR camera’s. I found that by reducing the amount of flash through the flash I was able to get a more natural lighting effect similar to bounce flash.

You mentioned the color noise. Shooting in Natural mode instead of Bright mode reduces some of that color noise especially in the dark areas. As far as comparing it to the K3 as far as noise. Not all 12.4mp sensors are the same. As I noted in a previous thread, the smaller sensors have smaller photo sites which are less capable of capturing light. (Complete Digital Photography by Ben Long explains this.) Sandwiching 12.4mp into that small sensor means each photo site is smaller than the same 12.4mp in a larger sensor such as a 12mp K-x and as such is less capable of capturing as much light as a larger photo site. Your findings on noise seem to be on Par with my findings when comparing the Q7 to my K-5 or K-5IIs camera’s. .

As far as the Q7 - Q-S1 being better than a DSLR. In the shooting of models, as shown in the July 2014 Blogs on my WEB site, the depth of field produced by the Q series of cameras is significantly better than any DSLR especially any of the full frame DSLR’s. As I have stated in other threads, this is the reason I have been experimenting with and will continue to use my Q series cameras for such shots.

Thanks again for the demo and review and the test images you posted prior to this video.

Last edited by CWRailman; 09-29-2014 at 09:41 AM.
09-30-2014, 08:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very comprehensive review! Nice! I also got to test a Q-S1 earlier at an exhibition today. Not sure how fast it is vs. the Q7, but it's DEFINITELY lovable to look at. Am not very comfortable with the new grip; since my fingers are fat, but it feels like the original Q without the cold metal feel
10-02-2014, 03:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Quick question.. would an LCD protector for the k5 work for the QS-1?
10-02-2014, 09:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm assuming the answer to this is "no," but...does the flash have a tilt or swivel feature? That would be absolutely amazing, and would enable one to get near-dslr results in dark rooms (assuming you were to bounce the flash)
10-03-2014, 05:43 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The review is great, the camera seems fairly good for what it is but I still am not convince that it's worth the upgrade (from original Q). Or am I missing the "big" picture here?

I mean I still haven't seen any real comparison about processing time or AF for example. I am hesitant in taking the plunge for the new sensor or AF if they are not a major improvement.

At the moment the iteration is nothing that looks revolutionary. Am I wrong? Need to be convinced because there are good deals to be had on the Q7 at the moment. If the hardware of the Q-s1 is the same as the Q7, choice will be easy.
10-03-2014, 06:38 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
At the moment the iteration is nothing that looks revolutionary. Am I wrong? Need to be convinced because there are good deals to be had on the Q7 at the moment. If the hardware of the Q-s1 is the same as the Q7, choice will be easy.
I'm thinking of this as the ideal time to upgrade to a Q7 (currently on a Q10); the prices are coming down nicely, the Q-S1 doesn't seem that much of an improvement over the Q7, and I don't like the look of that knob which replaces the previous grip shape on the body. (I find the Q10 very comfortable to hold). However, the 1/1.7" sensor does appear to be a reasonable upgrade and worth having, and gives the existing lenses a slightly wider field of view, which appeals to me.
10-03-2014, 06:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Q7 in tempting indeed but has anyone compared video of the Q7 to other offerings, say a Canon EOS-M or similar?

At equivalent prices, the question needs to be answered...

I think the Q diserves more attention from Ricoh in the video area.
10-03-2014, 07:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote

I think the Q diserves more attention from Ricoh in the video area.
Panasonic fired a warning shot at the Q system with the release of GM1. Ricoh understands that Panasonic is leading the charge in video and I think that's a fight Ricoh doesn't want to kick up. Follow Fuji on this one and let it slide.