Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2014, 08:23 AM   #1

Behaviour of the Q7 and Q-S1 with external flashes

I'm considering upgrading from a Q10 to (probably) a Q7 or (maybe) a Q-S1. I'd love it if it would work with my generic flash triggers so I could use it to properly shoot with off-camera flash.

Has anyone tried either of these bodies with non-Pentax flashes or triggers attached?

10-01-2014, 09:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

You can use your Q10 with a trigger now as long as you're using a lens with a leaf shutter. (Right?) Strangely enough, you have to turn flash to "OFF" for this work -- to activate the hot shoe. I think all the Q series work the same in this regard?
10-01-2014, 09:51 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by NeilGratton Quote
I'm considering upgrading from a Q10 to (probably) a Q7 or (maybe) a Q-S1. I'd love it if it would work with my generic flash triggers so I could use it to properly shoot with off-camera flash.

Has anyone tried either of these bodies with non-Pentax flashes or triggers attached?
Yes, to use a generic flash trigger set the flash to OFF. It will the fire a signal to the hot shoe and not fire the built-in flash. I've used the Q-S1 with off-camera flash and wireless triggers with no problem.
10-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On the Q7 the hotshoe will trigger with leaf shutter lens or the Pentax adapter at shutter speeds up to 1/250 sec.
Flash setting must be set to 'Flash Off' to do this, the hotshoe does not trigger otherwise.
This will allow you to use a generic wireless trigger.

If you are using adapted lenses or other lenses without leaf shutter the Q7 will not fire the hotshoe for a generic trigger or flash that does not have PTTL contacts.

If you install a PTTL Flash such as a Pentax AF540 the flash will trigger up to 1/30 sec with non leaf shutter lenses or adapters.

One trick I have used for external flashes is to use the Q's built in flash as an optical trigger for external flashes.
Since the internal flash will trigger up to 1/2000 of a sec I use this method to trigger a Better Beamer for daytime fill telephoto.

10-01-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
One trick I have used for external flashes is to use the Q's built in flash as an optical trigger for external flashes.
Since the internal flash will trigger up to 1/2000 of a sec I use this method to trigger a Better Beamer for daytime fill telephoto.
Doesn't it preflash? (Causing dumb optical triggers to fire early.) Can that be turned off?
10-01-2014, 10:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Doesn't it preflash? (Causing dumb optical triggers to fire early.) Can that be turned off?
There is a slave setting on the AF540 that ignores the preflash, I think there are other brand flashes that have an option to ignore preflash when in optical trigger mode.
I recall reading that the Yongnuo's can do this?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/144043-need-a...-preflash.html
10-01-2014, 10:49 AM   #7
Pentaxian

There is a slave setting on the AF540 that ignores the preflash, I think there are other brand flashes that have an option to ignore preflash when in optical trigger mode.
I recall reading that the Yongnuo's can do this?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/144043-need-a...-preflash.html
Yeah, no I use these old manual Vivitar flashes -- all my optical triggers are dumb, they can't handle preflash. I can use the Cactus triggers, but it has to work off the hotshoe...
10-02-2014, 04:50 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks. I tried it a while ago with the Q10 and couldn't get it to play nicely, but I can't recall which lens I had on at the time and it may well have been an adapted one. I'll play some more this weekend.

The 'leaf shutter' lenses are the 01, 02, 06 and 08, right?

10-02-2014, 06:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NeilGratton Quote
Thanks. I tried it a while ago with the Q10 and couldn't get it to play nicely, but I can't recall which lens I had on at the time and it may well have been an adapted one. I'll play some more this weekend.

The 'leaf shutter' lenses are the 01, 02, 06 and 08, right?
Yes. The Pentax k-q adapter has one also.
10-06-2014, 12:40 AM   #10

Original Poster
I retested on my Q10 with my flash triggers, and they wouldn't activate whichever flash settings I had the Q10 set to :-( Maybe it's a fault, or it doesn't like the particular triggers I'm using. (Yongnuo RF-603C).

At any rate, I've just ordered a Q7, I'll see if there's any change in the behaviour with that. (It's not a big deal anyway, it'd just be fun to use the baby Pentax with the big flashes. And yes, optical slaving works fine - as long as the background light level is not too high. So basically, indoors or at night time is fine).
12-01-2014, 07:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
You can use your Q10 with a trigger now as long as you're using a lens with a leaf shutter. (Right?) Strangely enough, you have to turn flash to "OFF" for this work -- to activate the hot shoe. I think all the Q series work the same in this regard?
I'm just trying my Q7 with flash triggers now. It works when set to Av mode...but not for any other modes (such as Tv or M).

Does anybody know why this is happening?
12-01-2014, 07:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveInPA Quote
I'm just trying my Q7 with flash triggers now. It works when set to Av mode...but not for any other modes (such as Tv or M).

Does anybody know why this is happening?
What lens are you using so I can test it on mine?
12-01-2014, 07:36 AM   #13
Veteran Member

What lens are you using so I can test it on mine?
crewl1...I'm using the 01 lens.

I'm seeing the same behavior with the 02 lens.

The flash also triggers in "P" and "Auto" mode. But it won't fire in "M" or "TV".

Last edited by DaveInPA; 12-01-2014 at 01:37 PM.
12-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveInPA Quote
crewl1...I'm using the 01 lens.

I'm seeing the same behavior with the 02 lens.

The flash also triggers in "P" and "Auto" mode. But it won't fire in "M" or "TV".
I just tested the 01 lens on the Q7 - My PT triggers work fine in AV M TV modes as long as shutter speed is below 1/250

Make sure you are using a shutter speed 1/250 or less in your testing, faster than that it will not trigger.
12-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I just tested the 01 lens on the Q7 - My PT triggers work fine in AV M TV modes as long as shutter speed is below 1/250

Make sure you are using a shutter speed 1/250 or less in your testing, faster than that it will not trigger.
Thanks crewl1! Turns out I had my shutter speed too fast. I thought I had checked that but apparently I missed it. Works now.

The FlashQ triggers I picked up appear to work well and are incredibly small and keep the Q7 nimble.