Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2014, 08:19 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So what happened to the Q tele-macro lens?

A prototype of this lens (without specs) was displayed last February at Photo+ (see here). It's been over six months and no release date or specs have been announced. As far as I know, there was not a single word about this lens at Photokina. Is this lens dead? It'd be nice to know...

10-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I thought I saw something posted that there would be a new version of the 06 lens coming out that had macro capabilities.
10-03-2014, 08:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Under planning.

2014 Roadmaps for Pentax 645, K, and Q Lenses - Photokina 2014 | PentaxForums.com
10-03-2014, 08:41 AM   #4

There's a macro on the roadmap, and like DaveinPA mentioned there were also two Q patents spotted, one for a version of the 06 with macro capabilities (larger, but a minimum focus distance of 14" instead of 40"), and another for a 45mm 1.8 prime macro, but neither of them seem to be on the roadmap

10-03-2014, 09:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Hadn't they always said "2014 or later"?
The QS-1 was the big Q format news this time around.
10-03-2014, 09:12 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, of course, it's 2014 "or later", which, for all intents and purposes, might also mean never... I just wish they'd be a little bit more precise - as other manufacturers are doing with their roadmap. They could have at least brought the same prototype to Photokina, but nothing, AFAIK.
10-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #7

I really want to like this system, but so far it doesn't exist. I'd want three good primes, a corresponding hotshoe viewfinder, and stereo video recording. Or maybe an MX-2,3,4, etc. with a hotshoe.

A few years ago we went on a large sailing boat and I left the newer stuff in the truck and brought out the ole' *ist-DS and an M50 and DA21 onto the boat. Great photos.
10-03-2014, 02:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It is a great system. Just enjoy what you've got!

10-06-2014, 07:36 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlG Quote
It is a great system. Just enjoy what you've got!
Actually, I don't have a Q camera, but this lens, if it does at least 1:2, could sell me one...
10-06-2014, 08:05 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Actually, I don't have a Q camera, but this lens, if it does at least 1:2, could sell me one...
The Q series are amazing with adapted Macro SLR lenses.

I shot the following on a Q10 with an adapted (M42) 135mm lens with a 28mm lens reversed onto it:

Last edited by NeilGratton; 10-08-2014 at 12:54 AM.
10-07-2014, 04:52 PM   #11

i'm getting very discouraged by the lack of high quality primes in the Q lineup. I love my two original Qs, but in the wake of the Panny GM1 - and especially the GM5 - it seems that other, better options are coming available with the same form factor and a much, much wider array of native lenses. sure, only a few of those m43 primes are similar in size to the Q lenses, but it's a small concession to make for expanded features and abundant lenses. I don't want to jump ship, but it just might happen when the price of the GM5 drops to an acceptable level.
10-07-2014, 06:49 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by emergo Quote
i'm getting very discouraged by the lack of high quality primes in the Q lineup.
Well, the quality wide angle lens is a zoom.

This is a modern trend, following the Nikon 14-24,
and it looks like Pentax are going the same route
with the new DA 645 28-45.

At the longer end, I'm with @NeilGratton,
using K-mount lenses on the OEM adapter.
10-07-2014, 09:36 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emergo Quote
i'm getting very discouraged by the lack of high quality primes in the Q lineup. I love my two original Qs, but in the wake of the Panny GM1 - and especially the GM5 - it seems that other, better options are coming available with the same form factor and a much, much wider array of native lenses. sure, only a few of those m43 primes are similar in size to the Q lenses, but it's a small concession to make for expanded features and abundant lenses. I don't want to jump ship, but it just might happen when the price of the GM5 drops to an acceptable level.
Are you a wide angle guy? For background, I am, and have been since one of my daily drivers was an LX with the 20/4 and a grid focusing screen. My opinion was much the same as yours on my two Qs. Then this summer I picked up a Q7, and last month I added an 08. I have to tell you it's a revelation. I'm liking ALL the lenses a lot better. I'd actually given two 02s to family members and didn't bother carrying one with my Qs; now, with the Q7, the wide end is 24mm equivalent, which is on the edge of ultrawide. And the 08 is...amazeballs. Not even close to figuring it out yet. DEFINITELY need to pick up a hood for it -- anyone have one they like? -- but side-by-side on two shoots the Q7/08 clearly outperforms my K20d/DA 18-55. Sure, neither were low-light situations, but color me impressed so far. Definitely worth it.

Cjf
10-08-2014, 07:34 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by cjfeola Quote
Are you a wide angle guy? For background, I am, and have been since one of my daily drivers was an LX with the 20/4 and a grid focusing screen. My opinion was much the same as yours on my two Qs. Then this summer I picked up a Q7, and last month I added an 08. I have to tell you it's a revelation. I'm liking ALL the lenses a lot better. I'd actually given two 02s to family members and didn't bother carrying one with my Qs; now, with the Q7, the wide end is 24mm equivalent, which is on the edge of ultrawide. And the 08 is...amazeballs. Not even close to figuring it out yet. DEFINITELY need to pick up a hood for it -- anyone have one they like? -- but side-by-side on two shoots the Q7/08 clearly outperforms my K20d/DA 18-55. Sure, neither were low-light situations, but color me impressed so far. Definitely worth it.

Cjf
One of my Qs has the 01, and the other has adapted, vintage movie lenses. I gave the 02 from my second body to my brother because I'm not a fan of zooms. Too big, too slow. but yes, I'd like a nice wide. I've heard many good things about the 08, and perhaps that's an answer, but I'd prefer primes. like you, I usually ignore my K5 and take the Qs with me - partially because of the size, partially because of the FUN! truth be told, I don't think I'd ever sell my Q (unless it was to fund purhcase of the QS1).
10-08-2014, 12:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cjfeola Quote
DEFINITELY need to pick up a hood for it -- anyone have one they like?
I am using this one from ebay -- JJC LH RBF49 Lens Hood for Pentax 08 Wide Zoom 3 8 5 9mm F3 7 4 Replace Ph RBF49 | eBay

It is good enough. Tried a few cheaper ones also, but ran into vignetting in the wide end.