Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
SD card size for Pentax Q

Hi guys I have the pentax Q and can someone tell me what the highest capacity sd card my camera will recognize? I'd like to get a high card for an upcoming trip but know that some camera's won't work on higher cards and didn't know what it was for the Q

10-03-2014, 03:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any currently-available SDXC size should be supported, i.e. 128GB or 256GB, but due to the Q's relatively small files you'll probably be more than fine with a 32GB or 64GB card.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Any currently-available SDXC size should be supported, i.e. 128GB or 256GB, but due to the Q's relatively small files you'll probably be more than fine with a 32GB or 64GB card.

awesome thank you so much
10-03-2014, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd bring more than one, of a smaller size, and swap every once in a while.
1. having all of your pictures on a single SD is not a sound strategy in case something goes south...
2. there's a sweet spot in prices: prices per GB are high in low capacity cards (e.g. a 4GB card is usually more expensive, per GB, than a 16GB card), but this should not be valid when you reach the limits of current technology, so extreme sizes are more expensive per GB.

10-04-2014, 01:44 AM - 1 Like   #5

Photos: Albums
I think I've got a 4GB card in mine. Given the file size, it still holds about a 1000 shots I think. Which is quite a lot of photos, really, isn't it?

And I also agree that it's best to have a smaller size and swap when full for a new card. Just in case something happens to the card/camera.
10-06-2014, 01:05 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
I'd bring more than one, of a smaller size, and swap every once in a while.
1. having all of your pictures on a single SD is not a sound strategy in case something goes south...
2. there's a sweet spot in prices: prices per GB are high in low capacity cards (e.g. a 4GB card is usually more expensive, per GB, than a 16GB card), but this should not be valid when you reach the limits of current technology, so extreme sizes are more expensive per GB.
I agree with this - entirely for the first reason. If your SD card fails, or your camera is stolen or lost, you will sorely regret having everything on the one card.
10-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have to say that I am more bothered by the probability of loosing one of several smaller cards out of my bag than having a larger card in the camera go bad. But that's just me.

10-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlG Quote
I have to say that I am more bothered by the probability of loosing one of several smaller cards out of my bag than having a larger card in the camera go bad. But that's just me.
I will agree with this when in my hometown where I can go home every night, but when traveling there are too many possible ways to lose a camera.
See Found Photos - Category: FOUND A CAMERA (Upload photos from Found Camera - Head shots only!)