Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Grapevine TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 61
It saddens me

That not a single Q lens has been nominated for the Greatest Pentax Lens tournament. Not the razor sharp 01. Not the glorious 08, or the stupid useful 06. Or even the fisheye for a hundred bucks 03....

Since I'm the writer, I can't nominate any of 'em. All I can do is come over here and whine about it...

Sorry!

cjf

10-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #2
Junior Member
Spaceman-Spiff's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Bath, UK
Posts: 28
I'm probably not experienced enough yet with the Q to get the best out of it, but from my own encounters thus far with the 01 lens I'd have to say it's surprisingly good, especially for the size/price, but not in the jaw dropping, "how-can-this-be-possible?" league of the results I get from my FA77 or 35 macro Limited. Those really do stop me in my tracks at times. Like I say though, it's brilliant for what it is, and it deserves praise.
10-09-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
Pentaxian
panoguy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,290
It's a tough crowd to compete in, with the FA limiteds, DA limiteds, those glorious old specialty lenses (200/4 Macro, 250-600/5.6) and a long history of wonderful Takumars. I also think the 01 is a real performer, but it's very new and part of a relatively niche lensmount (even among Pentaxians).
10-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
6BQ5's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Nevada, USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,084
I enjoy using my 03 Fisheye. It's a "good lens" to play with but it's not a "great lens".

The 01 prime is indeed capable of very sharp images but it's perceived performance is limited by the sensor tech in the Q. We'll never know what this lens can really do until the Q's sensor starts approaching the dynamics of today's APS sensors. It will happen but not tomorrow.

10-09-2014, 04:47 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,197
Well whether or not they're 'legendary,' the 01 and 06 are special lenses. Q people are a different breed of cat, sure, but Pentax has(d?) high aspirations for Q-mount when they designed those lenses.
10-09-2014, 05:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,763
I think part of the problem is that we don't have that many Q users here, mostly because of the high introductory price of the first Q (which cost around as much as the K-r or K-01 with kit lenses, if I remember right?). At the same time, the design and toughness of that Q set a high standard that is difficult to attain with the newer models.
10-09-2014, 05:21 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,197
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think part of the problem is that we don't have that many Q users here, mostly because of the high introductory price of the first Q (which cost around as much as the K-r or K-01 with kit lenses, if I remember right?). At the same time, the design and toughness of that Q set a high standard that is difficult to attain with the newer models.
We can only nominate one lens per category. In the normal category the 01 (converted) just isn't the all-time legendary best lens. Where would we nominate zooms? Sort of leaves the FA* 250~600 out in the cold, doesn't it?
10-09-2014, 05:49 PM   #8
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Boise, Idaho
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 23
I nominated the 06 lens but they missed counting it.

10-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,354
The 01 also has really bad barrel distortion. possibly the worst of all time for a normal lens. It's the only lens I use with my Q, but it can't be the best Pentax lens ever created.
10-10-2014, 03:06 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Na Horuk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Slovenia, probably
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,763
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We can only nominate one lens per category. In the normal category the 01 (converted) just isn't the all-time legendary best lens. Where would we nominate zooms? Sort of leaves the FA* 250~600 out in the cold, doesn't it?
Well yes, this comes down to the fact that the whole "best lens ever" thing is a marketing stunt to stir discussion and make a nice result that can be shown to other forums and advertise the brand (as well as PF itself). So its not very scientific or rigorous or fair. But it is fun and it does raise the question about Q lenses. Mostly I wonder if the reason for nominations is that the Q lenses are not as legendary, or if the Q system perhaps doesn't have as much potential, since it is a new, ultra compact system, and not a system with long tradition, focused mostly on optical quality in the traditional sense
10-10-2014, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #11
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Grapevine TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 61
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
We can only nominate one lens per category. In the normal category the 01 (converted) just isn't the all-time legendary best lens. Where would we nominate zooms? Sort of leaves the FA* 250~600 out in the cold, doesn't it?
Umm...no. You can only nominate each lens once. You can nominate as many lenses as you like in any category. The rule is supposed to be one nomination per comment to make it easier for me to count, but that lasted like six minutes. No worries.
Zooms are nominated by their longest length (35mm equivalent). So 02 goes in short teles; 06 in teles; and 08 in wide angles.

Hope that helps!

cjf

---------- Post added 10-10-14 at 09:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by janzenart Quote
I nominated the 06 lens but they missed counting it.
We're doing daily updates as of 1 am; your nomination is in today's count. Thanks!

cjf

---------- Post added 10-10-14 at 09:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Well yes, this comes down to the fact that the whole "best lens ever" thing is a marketing stunt to stir discussion and make a nice result that can be shown to other forums and advertise the brand (as well as PF itself). So its not very scientific or rigorous or fair. But it is fun and it does raise the question about Q lenses. Mostly I wonder if the reason for nominations is that the Q lenses are not as legendary, or if the Q system perhaps doesn't have as much potential, since it is a new, ultra compact system, and not a system with long tradition, focused mostly on optical quality in the traditional sense
Allow me to disagree!
Remember, you're only looking at the first round, which is nominations. The REAL fun begins when we start the knockouts. Now you can nominate every piece of glass you love. Next we do the opposite: there can only be one. Sure, everyone loves the DA* 300...but if you could only have ONE tele, would that be it? Think about it: if you could only have one, DA* 300 or the 06? Now that's an entirely different discussion.

Sure, the idea is to start some fun discussions, but its also to have an opportunity to consider glass you may or may not have tried. Take the 77 Limited vs. the 100 2.8 macro. There are some real advantages and disadvantages to that choice, and lots of users can only afford one.

That said, my real hope is that ya'll are enjoying this!

cjf
10-10-2014, 07:59 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,197
QuoteOriginally posted by cjfeola Quote
Umm...no. You can only nominate each lens once. You can nominate as many lenses as you like in any category. The rule is supposed to be one nomination per comment to make it easier for me to count, but that lasted like six minutes. No worries.
Zooms are nominated by their longest length (35mm equivalent). So 02 goes in short teles; 06 in teles; and 08 in wide angles.

Hope that helps!

cjf
Yes, Thank You. I'll still only nominate lenses I actually own or have owned, but that opens up the list significantly!!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, category, count, da*, fun, glass, lens, lenses, mirrorless, pentax q, pentax q10, pentax q7, q-s1, q10, q7, teles
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AF is it me? jerryleejr Pentax K-5 10 02-24-2014 02:20 PM
is it just me? adwb Pentax DSLR Discussion 16 03-25-2013 01:06 PM
Is it me or is it just wrong to... Iksobarg Photographic Industry and Professionals 15 01-08-2013 03:39 PM
it's killing me......how long will it take?? janstew Pentax K-5 25 03-28-2011 04:42 AM
is it me, or the K5..guess what..its me !!! Tommot1965 Pentax K-5 18 01-28-2011 02:35 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:48 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top