Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #1

Pentax Q10 Problem

Hello. I have a problem with my Pentax Q10. When I shot in manual the picture is completely black. Help, please.

Attached Images

10-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
EXIF data would be really helpful.

aperture, shutterspeed, iso, ect.......
10-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
EXIF data would be really helpful.

aperture, shutterspeed, iso, ect.......
Only happens in manual mode.

---------- Post added 10-16-14 at 10:37 PM ----------

Problem solved. Thanks for help
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
XT1032  Photo 
10-16-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What is probably happening is the exposure setting is too dark for the conditions, so you are getting a severely under exposed shot which looks black.
In M, you are in control of the exposure so you need to decide what settings work best for the shot.
When in shooting mode you will see a scale at the bottom of the picture.
If all bars are to the left you are under exposed.
Change the shutter speed by turning the rear wheel to slow down the shutter speed until the scale shows a bar in the center.
Another option is to put ISO into automatic mode so it adjusts the exposure for you in M.
1/200, f5.6 at ISO 200 is not enough for dim indoor lighting.
It might work OK if you walk outside in bright sunlight.
Read this book http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Edition-Photographs/dp/0817439390

10-16-2014, 02:16 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
What is probably happening is the exposure setting is too dark for the conditions, so you are getting a severely under exposed shot which looks black.
In M, you are in control of the exposure so you need to decide what settings work best for the shot.
When in shooting mode you will see a scale at the bottom of the picture.
If all bars are to the left you are under exposed.
Change the shutter speed by turning the rear wheel to slow down the shutter speed until the scale shows a bar in the center.
Another option is to put ISO into automatic mode so it adjusts the exposure for you in M.
1/200, f5.6 at ISO 200 is not enough for dim indoor lighting.
It might work OK if you walk outside in bright sunlight.
Read this book Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera: Bryan Peterson: 0884798534707: Amazon.com: Books
Thank you very much for your help
10-17-2014, 07:40 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I always appreciate when experienced photographers recommend reference materials. It makes me wonder if this is a book I should add to my reading list.

What did you find of interest about this book and did it impact the way you shoot?

For what level of photography do you consider it appropriate?

In Ansel Adams book titled "The Negative" he discusses Exposure which then leads into a discussion of the Zone system. Is this book the equivalent to that material?

Thanks for the suggestion.
10-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
I always appreciate when experienced photographers recommend reference materials. It makes me wonder if this is a book I should add to my reading list.

What did you find of interest about this book and did it impact the way you shoot?

For what level of photography do you consider it appropriate?

In Ansel Adams book titled "The Negative" he discusses Exposure which then leads into a discussion of the Zone system. Is this book the equivalent to that material?

Thanks for the suggestion.
Hi this book I recommend for folks new in photography that need to understand the basics of exposure including the interaction between shutter speed, aperture and ISO.

It shows photo examples of what happens with different settings.

The tone of the book is simple and casual for new users to understand easily.

The concepts are general and not targeted at any camera brand.

It is not an advanced technical book for more experience photographers, but there may be something that could be learned.

The writer is this guy, he speaks like he writes.

Last edited by crewl1; 10-17-2014 at 08:34 AM.
10-17-2014, 08:57 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Thanks for the info. I did check out the linked video. Which led me to another of his which I think is good watching for any photographer. No cost tips that many of us forget when quickly attempting to capture an image, such as the tree growing out of the subjects head, or going to a vertical format when the subject is more vertical than horizontal. The guy has an easy to understand presentation.