Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #31
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,705
QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
I agree with you 100%. I think most folks do not spend enough time getting the most out of the equipment they have.

Personally Iím a bit tired of all those negative posts on this board or those who want the Q to be something itís not instead of appreciating what it is and making the most out of itís strengths. There are some photographers on this board churning out and posting some really good pictures with their Q series cameras and I for one look to those photographers for inspiration on using the Q.

As far as speculating about the next lens or whatever, why wish for something else when you have not learned how to get the most out of what is currently available? Reading some of these posts I believe some of these folks do not own a Q series camera and some of them may never own one they just like to mix it up a bit on such forums.
I'm not seeing much negativity toward the Q in this thread, or even this forum. Rather, I see much enthusiasm for the Q, and people want more for and from it, just like with any camera system.

10-21-2014, 11:42 PM   #32
Senior Member
mythguy9's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 274
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
I think a collection of UWA, WA, Normal, and Telephoto primes would attract a lot of attention from the market and show that Ricoh is serious about the Q
Size would be a great factor too. I wouldn't mind if the quality isn't as good as the limiteds (I can accept DA quality), if the size is right (small like 02). Maybe there is a way to design flatter lens cap to go with these future lenses too.

---------- Post added 22-10-14 at 04:44 PM ----------

By the way, the Pentax-Q 07 Mount Shield Lens is interesting but it doesn't have a lot of "creative" element. A dedicated pin hole lens would be nice (although technically not a lens...)

EDIT: I'd like to add to the pin hole suggestion - because there is no mirror between the lens and the sensor, I'd like Ricoh-Pentax to make a ultra-ultra-ultra WIDE pin hole cap (make it curves into the camera front plate) - that would be super awesome - something I can't DIY on my K5.
10-22-2014, 02:01 AM   #33
Senior Member
sapporodan's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 123
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I'm not seeing much negativity toward the Q in this thread, or even this forum. Rather, I see much enthusiasm for the Q, and people want more for and from it, just like with any camera system.
I have to agree, I am not seeing negative comments but people who want to see the Q evolve and get better.

The Q's are great cameras but certainly not perfect. The terrible screen in sunlight, very low battery life and the lack of a viewfinder are not unreasonable complaints.
10-22-2014, 02:54 AM   #34
Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,245
The 01 is fine as it is.
The 02 is a decent kit lens, which seems to be thoroughly outdone by the 08.
The 03 is a beaut. AF in a lens with almost infinite depth of field? Gah!
I have no opinion about the 04 and 05, and probably never will.
The 06 is perfect. I can't believe there are rumours of an upgrade.
The 07 is a piece of rubbish, but I guess it's more useful than a body cap.
For longer telephoto - get an adaptor.

What the system needs is a fast wide angle prime and a short tele macro. End of story.

10-22-2014, 06:17 AM   #35
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 128
If the lenses in those two new patents come into being, then there's a 8.17mm f/1.4 and a 35mm f/1.4 on the way, designed with a 2/3" sensor in mind: ~32mm and ~138mm equivs. Maybe this new 8.17mm f/1.4 is why the 01 has practically vanished as a bundled lens? I imagine a faster lens designed for a slightly bigger sensor would be a little larger, though.
10-22-2014, 07:30 AM   #36
Senior Member
sapporodan's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 123
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goodnight Quote
If the lenses in those two new patents come into being, then there's a 8.17mm f/1.4 and a 35mm f/1.4 on the way, designed with a 2/3" sensor in mind: ~32mm and ~138mm equivs. Maybe this new 8.17mm f/1.4 is why the 01 has practically vanished as a bundled lens? I imagine a faster lens designed for a slightly bigger sensor would be a little larger, though.
A larger sensor? If they have designed them for a 2/3" sensor that gives us a crop factor of about 3.6. I think that would make the 5-15 a 35mm equivalent of a 18-53 and the 08 start at 13mm!!! Now that would be very cool

Will Pentax want to enlarge the sensor again, and could the existing lenses cope with it?
10-22-2014, 09:02 AM   #37
Pentaxian




Join Date: Nov 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,615
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
A nice, fast, telephoto prime would also be great, something like 40mm f2.8.
No AF, but I just put my DA 40 XS on the OEM adapter.
That setup is shorter than the 06 zoom.
10-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #38
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,705
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The 01 is fine as it is.
The 02 is a decent kit lens, which seems to be thoroughly outdone by the 08.
The 03 is a beaut. AF in a lens with almost infinite depth of field? Gah!
I have no opinion about the 04 and 05, and probably never will.
The 06 is perfect. I can't believe there are rumours of an upgrade.
The 07 is a piece of rubbish, but I guess it's more useful than a body cap.
For longer telephoto - get an adaptor.

What the system needs is a fast wide angle prime and a short tele macro. End of story.
So, basically, if its a lens you want, Pentax should make it. But if its a lens somebody else wants and you don't, "get an adaptor".

10-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
narual's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Bend (Notre Dame), Indiana
Posts: 1,934
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
So, basically, if its a lens you want, Pentax should make it. But if its a lens somebody else wants and you don't, "get an adaptor".
Well, he does have a point. Almost non-q lens is a telephoto with the adapter. Even the 15mm ltd is a short tele. So it's not like the Q is lacking in manual focus telephoto options.
10-22-2014, 12:46 PM   #40
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,705
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Well, he does have a point. Almost non-q lens is a telephoto with the adapter. Even the 15mm ltd is a short tele. So it's not like the Q is lacking in manual focus telephoto options.
Sure, but what about AF? What about size? AFAIK, every ILC system other than Q and Fuji offers offers a long tele.

A long tele would cause a bit of a stir in the birding community, too.
10-22-2014, 01:47 PM   #41
Veteran Member




Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 402
I only have an 02. I've been "away" for a while from this forum and photography in general.

Recently, i find that I carry my Q with the 02 more often than my other digital which is a k200d with the 16-45.
With this in mind, I've started to look into updating my k200d by looking at what's available for the Q thinking that there'd be more available

I see that there is now
06 zoom: ~70-200 with fixed 2.8
08 zoom: UWA variable aperture (~ 18-28/21-33)
body cap lens

What I would like to see are lenses that would match the ease of carry of the Q system - more pancake lenses.
I believe the Q systems strengths should be played up not "toyed" with.

In general - the system should have the holy trinity wide/normal/portrait. Currently all we have is the normal with "toy" wide, fisheye, and portrait
at least the system has the 02/06/08 zooms; however the 02 should be updated to go along with the Q's compact size

1. 02a - pancake wide-normal zoom, 24 min -50/85 equivalent. something similar in size to the m4/3rd GM1/GM5 kit zoom; ie a "pancake" zoom. I'm ok if the long end is <85 as long as the the size (how far it sticks out from the body) is less than the current 02
2. 01a - pancake prime or wide, possibly a 28/35mm equivalent to match the 01's 40/47 mm equivalent, even if its an f2/f2.5. or they can just make the 01 more compact.
3. a 300mm or greater equivalent

At this point, I'm sorely tempted to get the GM1/GM5 m4/3rd system since it now has all the above in its system.
10-22-2014, 10:56 PM   #42
swa
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 7
1. A 22mm- to 24mm 35mm equivalent wide angle f/3.5 with AF (f/2.8 if the price can be kept affordable).

2. A 24mm and 48mm equivalent dual-focal-length AF lens, f/2 or f/2.8 at the wide end ó if, as I suspect, such a design would be less expensive to produce and buy than a zoom of the same range.

3. A really useful "toy" or special-purpose lens: 90mm equivalent, AF, f/3.5, with adjustable edge defocusing diaphragm or filter element built in. This would be for portraits that by design have the subject sharp at the center, then provide increasingly soft focus out to the edges, with the zone of graduated soft focus adjustable. (Same kind of thing achieved with varying degrees of success, and mess, in the old days by applying Vaseline or KY to the outer area of a UV or 1A filter.)

4. The oh-so-desirable 08 wide angle zoom at a more reasonable price. I don't begrudge Ricoh/Pentax a decent profit, but can't help thinking the prices on both the 01 prime and 08 WA zoom are, to be polite, overly ambitious.
10-23-2014, 07:49 AM   #43
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Lake District
Posts: 221
QuoteOriginally posted by swa Quote
4. The oh-so-desirable 08 wide angle zoom at a more reasonable price. I don't begrudge Ricoh/Pentax a decent profit, but can't help thinking the prices on both the 01 prime and 08 WA zoom are, to be polite, overly ambitious.
To me it not so over priced?
The Nikon 1 series is kinda close to the Q series.
Its super wide zoom is a similar range and similar price to the 08. It's not a scientific comparison but to me close enough. Perhaps they are just expensive to make?
$497 Nikon v's $500 Q

Amazon.com : Nikon 1 NIKKOR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 VR (Black) : Camera Lenses : Electronics

Amazon.com : Pentax Q 08 Wide Zoom Lens Q 08 Wide zoom 3.8-5.9mm Fixed-Zoom Lens for Other Cameras : Camera Lenses : Electronics
10-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #44
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,705
QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
To me it not so over priced?
The Nikon 1 series is kinda close to the Q series.
Its super wide zoom is a similar range and similar price to the 08. It's not a scientific comparison but to me close enough. Perhaps they are just expensive to make?
$497 Nikon v's $500 Q

Amazon.com : Nikon 1 NIKKOR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 VR (Black) : Camera Lenses : Electronics

Amazon.com : Pentax Q 08 Wide Zoom Lens Q 08 Wide zoom 3.8-5.9mm Fixed-Zoom Lens for Other Cameras : Camera Lenses : Electronics
The sensor in the Nikon 1 system is more than twice as large as the Q7/Q-S1's. Nikon 1 is also a significantly higher-specified camera system.

Of course, I also think some of the NIkon 1 lenses are overpriced, too...
10-24-2014, 12:59 AM   #45
Senior Member
sapporodan's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 123
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The sensor in the Nikon 1 system is more than twice as large as the Q7/Q-S1's. Nikon 1 is also a significantly higher-specified camera system.

Of course, I also think some of the NIkon 1 lenses are overpriced, too...
Problem with the Nikon 1 system is the the lenses are not that smaller then Micro Four Thirds lenses plus you have to live with probably the worst user interface I have ever seen

But they do have a far better lens selection. Of the top of my head, I think only the Samsung NX Mini and Canon M have fewer lenses the the Pentax Q.

The Q's greatest strength is the tiny lenses, just a shame we don't have that many of them.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, lens, lenses, lot, mirrorless, pentax q, pentax q10, pentax q7, q-s1, q10, q7, quality, size
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pets Well, what is it? What do you want from me? I am just a mere kat. rrstuff Post Your Photos! 6 02-17-2014 08:37 PM
Do M39 adapted lenses focus to infinity on the Q? GibbyTheMole Pentax Q 14 10-16-2013 07:49 AM
Pets You want me to do what???????????? eaglem Post Your Photos! 9 02-19-2013 03:25 PM
People What do you want? vikingo Photo Critique 3 02-03-2013 05:05 AM
What do you want Pentax will come up with the Kx successor? rustynail925 Pentax News and Rumors 31 07-29-2010 05:53 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:14 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top