Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-24-2014, 07:50 AM   #46

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by goodnight Quote
If the lenses in those two new patents come into being, then there's a 8.17mm f/1.4 and a 35mm f/1.4 on the way, designed with a 2/3" sensor in mind: ~32mm and ~138mm equivs. Maybe this new 8.17mm f/1.4 is why the 01 has practically vanished as a bundled lens? I imagine a faster lens designed for a slightly bigger sensor would be a little larger, though.
my guess is that these two patents are for new Ricoh C Mount lenses for their scientific and security series, and not for the Q. http://www.ricoh.com/fa_security/lens/vga/

10-24-2014, 08:53 AM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by emergo Quote
my guess is that these two patents are for new Ricoh C Mount lenses for their scientific and security series, and not for the Q. VGA Lens (Manual Iris Lens) / FA?Security | Ricoh Global
The dream is dead

Last edited by goodnight; 10-24-2014 at 10:56 AM.
10-24-2014, 09:24 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sapporodan Quote

The Q's greatest strength is the tiny lenses, just a shame we don't have that many of them.
And it's reach as evidenced by one of the early threads
11-12-2014, 01:59 AM   #49
Forum Member

So let me add to the group who'd like to see more wide to portrait primes, and smallish.
The choice on that end is significantly worse than on the longer end. I imagine one might want AF on something longer than 45mm, but that's niche compared to the normal range, and could hardly ever be small.
I'd love t see a true pancake.
As it is now, the 01 is pretty hard to find, which makes the Q not quite so much an interchangeable system!

11-12-2014, 02:12 AM   #50

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Antonio Marques Quote
So let me add to the group who'd like to see more wide to portrait primes, and smallish.
The choice on that end is significantly worse than on the longer end. I imagine one might want AF on something longer than 45mm, but that's niche compared to the normal range, and could hardly ever be small.
I'd love t see a true pancake.
As it is now, the 01 is pretty hard to find, which makes the Q not quite so much an interchangeable system!
It is really strange about the lack of Primes. Pentax is really famous for it's compact limited lenses, plus small primes right now are very fashionable, so why does Pentax produces a camera system with only one proper prime (I am not counting the toy ones)?
Even the Samsung NX Mini has two!!!
11-12-2014, 02:41 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Definitely more primes are needed. A non-toy wide angle and a telephoto would be a great start.
11-12-2014, 05:09 PM   #52
Forum Member

I have a depressing thought about this: the Q is meant only for beginners who would like to try out the concepts of real photography. As such, its lens lineup has a little bit of everything, but not in a way that non-beginners would like it. And before someone says something, consider that the 01 isn't sold in Europe, period.
Now, it may be the case that that's changing, as the development of the Q-S1 makes no sense otherwise. I mean, what gap does the Q-S1 fill? My only guess is as a part of a step up of the Q family, which will have to involve more lenses. If not that, then I have no idea.

11-12-2014, 05:17 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ricoh has stated that the Pentax Q line is the company's answer to the mirrorless ILC question.
11-12-2014, 06:55 PM   #54
Veteran Member

I want a 10-300mm equivalent f1.4 pancake lens.
11-13-2014, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveInPA Quote
And it should not cost more than $50 right?
11-13-2014, 08:09 AM   #56
Pentaxian

I would be thrilled with a pancake lens of normal range, kind of a thin 01, and have a package that included it (similar to packages offered by Sony and others);
that would enable the Q to compete in the new pocket camera market more easily.
11-14-2014, 04:37 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I would be thrilled with a pancake lens of normal range, kind of a thin 01, and have a package that included it (similar to packages offered by Sony and others);
that would enable the Q to compete in the new pocket camera market more easily.
That would be awesome. Unfortunately, with the Q-mount, the non-toy lenses have the shutter built into the lens. I think this makes it difficult to make a true pancake lens for the Q.

But it would be nice!
11-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #58
Pentaxian

That would be awesome. Unfortunately, with the Q-mount, the non-toy lenses have the shutter built into the lens. I think this makes it difficult to make a true pancake lens for the Q.

But it would be nice!
I still don't really understand how the Q works with adapted lenses that, by definition, don't have a shutter built in.
What are the implications of using an "electronic shutter" only??

Presumably a pancake lens could be built using this "electronic shutter".
What would be the downside of that?
11-14-2014, 09:18 AM   #59

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I still don't really understand how the Q works with adapted lenses that, by definition, don't have a shutter built in.
What are the implications of using an "electronic shutter" only??

Presumably a pancake lens could be built using this "electronic shutter".
What would be the downside of that?
I think (and I may be wrong) the main problem with electronic shutters is they work a bit like a photocopier and scan the image as a line. That causes an issue when there is any fast movement as it causes the image to look distorted.
Also I think it restricts what shutter speed you can use.
11-14-2014, 09:43 AM   #60
Pentaxian

But it would be nice!
Currently I have a Canon Elph that goes everywhere with me.
In order to justify a Q, it would need to be able to replace the Elph, and I'm thinking that a pancake lens would be needed for it to fill that role.
So I'd be using an electronic shutter to replace an electronic shutter - not a problem.
I'm guessing that there are others just like me.