Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #1

Help with Pentax K to Q Adapter with SMC-Pentax M 135

Hi all. I'm a bit puzzled by the best settings to use with the Pentax K-Q adapter. The aperture control on the K-Q adapter trips me up.

I am using an SMC Pentax -M 135 lens adapted on the Q. From the lens adapter thread, I read that the best place to set the aperture on the lens itself is about at F5.6 up to F8.

What setting should I be using on the actual K-Q adapter? Should it be set to 0-Open, 8- Close, L (I'm not sure what that does...)

Any tips or suggestions on how to properly use the aperture settings on the K-Q adapter are welcomed. Does one trump the other? How do they interact, etc.??

Thanks!
Steve

10-24-2014, 01:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CoachLittle Quote
Hi all. I'm a bit puzzled by the best settings to use with the Pentax K-Q adapter. The aperture control on the K-Q adapter trips me up.

I am using an SMC Pentax -M 135 lens adapted on the Q. From the lens adapter thread, I read that the best place to set the aperture on the lens itself is about at F5.6 up to F8.

What setting should I be using on the actual K-Q adapter? Should it be set to 0-Open, 8- Close, L (I'm not sure what that does...)

Any tips or suggestions on how to properly use the aperture settings on the K-Q adapter are welcomed. Does one trump the other? How do they interact, etc.??

Thanks!
Steve
For any lens without an aperture ring (newer digital era lenses don't have them) you need to use the aperture control on the adapter. But for your M series lens with an aperture ring, don't bother with that -- just set the adapter to "L" (all the way past "close") and leave it there. Now the aperture ring on the lens will open and close the aperture as you turn it.
10-24-2014, 02:15 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CoachLittle Quote

Thanks!
Steve
We have a how-to guide on the adapter here:

Using the K-Mount Adapter for Pentax Q - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Basically, you can use either the aperture ring on the lens or on the adapter, but not both.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: