Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2014, 06:10 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Q by no means is a bad camera and I was very happy with it and still am...I could not see any reason to justify paying for the q7 plus I thought why get it when I would also lose some of the distance with the adapted lens so I held off until a few months ago?? I immediately noticed the difference with the regular Q lens...subtle but still there. When I did the comparison using the sigma 500mm I again noticed it. It's not massive but it is there. You will be happy with the Q unless you get the Q7

11-06-2014, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Here is a quick comparison between the Q (upper image) and Q7 using the same lens SMC M 156 @ f5.6 Base ISO on both cameras on a tripod with a 12sec. timer and cropped to the same view displayed the same size. Same PP in Lightroom. I see almost no difference so for use on adapted lenses and max reach I would recommend the Q because of cost. For native lenses the Q7 wins.

Last edited by hnikesch; 11-06-2014 at 01:40 PM.
11-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #18
Site Supporter

If you check out the resolution factor as demonstrated in this review you might get some idea of how the Q-Q10 matches up with the Q7. And since the Q7 can now be purchased for $240, IMHO it's really a no brainer. (This comes from a guy who is giving two new Q10's to different people as Christmas presents this year.)
Review: Pentax Q7 - Compared to the Q | PentaxForums.com Reviews
11-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
If you check out the resolution factor as demonstrated in this review you might get some idea of how the Q-Q10 matches up with the Q7. And since the Q7 can now be purchased for $240, IMHO it's really a no brainer. (This comes from a guy who is giving two new Q10's to different people as Christmas presents this year.)
Review: Pentax Q7 - Compared to the Q | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Of course! If the choice is between a Q and a Q7 based on IQ the Q7 wins. But for someone new one of the older models may be just the thing to spark interest.

11-09-2014, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Of course! If the choice is between a Q and a Q7 based on IQ the Q7 wins. But for someone new one of the older models may be just the thing to spark interest.
Newcomers to the hobby or the brand tend to come in with expectations based on the most current information available about the brand. Except for Blunty's enthusiastic review of the Q, which was tempered by him saying that the Q was not for everyone and it was not meant to be, most of the major reviewers such as Digital Photography Review (DP Review) did not review the Q or the Q10. Now if you consider that such sites love to review a new camera series when it is unveiled I have to believe they found nothing really positive to say about the Q so they decided not to post a review. Their first review of the series was the Q7.

More likely trying to extract that degree of quality (IQ) out of the early versions of the camera will result in disappoint and turn potential customers off to the brand. In July of this year I personally went from a Q to a Q10 to a Q7 all in a period of one month doing my own testing and making comparisons but if I was trying to persuade someone to give the series a go, and their financial resources were limited, I would not want them to be making their decision based on the earlier members of the series but of that produced by the larger sensor. Now, if someone is given one of the earlier Q series cameraís as a gift (as I am about to do for two individuals) that would be a different story as itís probably better than what they currently have (in my case it is and I will be introducing them to shooting RAW with the Q10ís I give them) and this forum would be a good source of information on how to extract the most from those versions of the camera. IMHO if itís their money they are spending, at the current prices, $240 for a new Q7 verses $150 for a used Q or $175 for a used Q10, like I said itís a no brainer.