Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Is the original Q/Q10 worth it just for the crop factor?

I've been thinking of getting a Q just for the extreme telephoto effect on the k-mount lenses for mostly astronomy projects. Plus I guess it would be nice to have such a small system for on the go.

I'm just thinking is the crop factor alone worth it for the Q? Or should I hold out for the IQ increase of the Q7?

10-30-2014, 01:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'd be better off with the Q7 IMO. But when it comes to astrophotography, I think traditional DSLRs are much easier to work work, as the larger sensor size really helps to bring out that detail while keeping noise under control.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-30-2014, 01:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You'd be better off with the Q7 IMO. But when it comes to astrophotography, I think traditional DSLRs are much easier to work work, as the larger sensor size really helps to bring out that detail while keeping noise under control.
The larger sensor only serves as a hindrance in certain situations, such as planetary photography.
10-30-2014, 02:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Unfortunately it's too cloudy where I live to test. I have a Q and Q7. I will try to test both with a Tele-Takumar 200 mm f/5.6 at a color target this weekend and post to this thread. Hopefully that will give you some idea for your needs.

10-30-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
Unfortunately it's too cloudy where I live to test. I have a Q and Q7. I will try to test both with a Tele-Takumar 200 mm f/5.6 at a color target this weekend and post to this thread. Hopefully that will give you some idea for your needs.
Would be great, thanks.
10-30-2014, 04:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You would need to use a tripod that has a rotating rig, so it follows the movement of the stars across the sky. And then you would also have to take dark frame photos for some noise reduction.
Buying the O GPS attachment for your DSLR might be a better choice, and then just crop in post production. But make sure your camera accepts the astrotracking module (the info on the following page might be dated, not sure)
https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/pentax-o-gps1.html

That being said, the Q system is nice and compact and you can always take it with you. This is its main advantage, and its compatibility with K mount via simple adapters is a huge bonus, makes for easy extreme tele and maco
10-30-2014, 05:04 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
You would need to use a tripod that has a rotating rig, so it follows the movement of the stars across the sky. And then you would also have to take dark frame photos for some noise reduction.
Buying the O GPS attachment for your DSLR might be a better choice, and then just crop in post production. But make sure your camera accepts the astrotracking module (the info on the following page might be dated, not sure)
Pentax O-GPS1 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

That being said, the Q system is nice and compact and you can always take it with you. This is its main advantage, and its compatibility with K mount via simple adapters is a huge bonus, makes for easy extreme tele and maco
I've been incredibly interested in the O GPS, but I haven't found anything to suggest it works with the k-01.

11-01-2014, 09:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
but I haven't found anything to suggest it works with the k-01.
wish I could help with that
11-01-2014, 09:42 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Here are my test shots with a Tele-Takumar 200 mm f/5.6 at various ISOs. Aperture set at a fixed f/11. Obviously, these are all manually focused. Keep that in mind when judging for sharpness.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/benchan/sets/72157649067206732/

Full size JPEGs are here. I can put the original DNGs there if you want.

https://copy.com/rCjNBayI0K6pok20

Straight out of camera RAW. JPG conversion using Adobe Lightroom 4.4. For Flickr upload, JPG was compressed at 90 and resized to 5 megapixels.

Studio setup
* 2 X 23W 5000K natural daylight CFL
* X-Rite ColorChecker Passport
* Manfrotto 785B Modo Mini Tripod
* Generic IR wireless remote
11-03-2014, 10:14 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I've been incredibly interested in the O GPS, but I haven't found anything to suggest it works with the k-01.
astrotracker doesn't work with K-01.
11-04-2014, 05:34 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Boy, has this thread gone off topic!
11-05-2014, 08:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
Here are my test shots with a Tele-Takumar 200 mm f/5.6 at various ISOs. Aperture set at a fixed f/11. Obviously, these are all manually focused. Keep that in mind when judging for sharpness.
Interesting, I have kept my Q after getting a Q7 just for this reason (additional reach that is) just a point, diffraction at f11 would lower resolution for both cameras and would impact on the results in favor of the Q7

Last edited by hnikesch; 11-05-2014 at 03:34 PM.
11-05-2014, 08:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I believe I read somewhere that cropping an APSC frame to match the Q's crop factor was inferior to just using the Q.
11-05-2014, 09:33 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Somebody, I think it was crewl1, did a test of the Q vs. Q7 with adapted lens and it showed convincingly that you got better detail by cropping the Q7. The extra range of the original Q did not produce better detail at long range.
11-05-2014, 10:42 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes the Q7 IQ improvements make it an overall better camera than the Q in my opinion if the goal is adapted telephoto use.
It helps if you have a great tele lens to start with. I find the DA*300 to be such a lens. @Pearsaab uses a Sigma 500 4.5 with excellent results also.