Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2014, 10:56 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can the Q series be considered a Pocketable camera?

In various threads the question of the Q series camera’s pocket ability has been asked and debated. Whenever I decide to take my bike for a quick trip to the grocery store or just to burn off some energy I slip my Q7 with the 01 prime with a polarizer filter and lens cap into my shirt pocket. The other pocket usually holds my Nokia 928 cell phone which in it’s own right has a decent camera. Note that with the filter and lens cap on, the Q7 fits better when turned sideways. Sometimes I see something like this dead tree in the midst of a city garden that draws my interest.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K110D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K110D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
10-31-2014, 12:44 PM   #2

Thank you for sharing this.

I only read how the camera itself will fit in your palm. But I hadn't seen size comparisons, so this is really helpful. I do have some bigger pockets, but still wouldn't really call it pocketable. Aren't you wary that it could easily slip out? And that's with the prime, so a zoom would take more space, yet?

But I suppose there will never be anything smaller with switchable lenses. So I am still pondering on adding a Q to my collection. As small(er) alternative and, with lens mount adapter, incredible reach... tough choices, always such choices!
10-31-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depends on the pocket, doesn't it?

It'll fit into a jacket pocket no problem. The pockets on cargo shorts, too. But tight jeans or dress shirt pockets? Only with the 07 body cap lens.
10-31-2014, 03:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Undot Quote
Thank you for sharing this.
Aren't you wary that it could easily slip out? And that's with the prime, so a zoom would take more space, yet?
The first image shows how the Q7 as well as the wrist strap fits completely in my shirt pocket. There is no concern about it slipping out. The second image shows the Q7 pulled up a bit to demonstrate how I fit it into my shirt pocket sideways. It will also easily fit into the large size pockets of the short pants I wear while cycling but I do not like having it bounce around while pedaling so I usually carry it in my shirt pocket. For outings where I am planning on doing a lot with it I usually just strap on the small pouch onto my belt that I have shown in other threads. When I wear my motorcycle jacket I can carry the camera as well as the three lenses that I currently have for it.

Of course if you are wearing a pair of those $300 tight fitting designer jeans than you will definitely have a problem fitting it into one of those pockets. But then if such is you clothing of choice you probably should be considering one of the thin PHD camera’s.

One benefit of the Q series cameras that is seldom discussed is the ability to attach filters to the lens which is not an option when using some other pocketable cameras that have the clam type or other protective closure over the lens. Anybody who has been in photography for a while knows the importance of using filters to protect the lens itself from damage. I NEVER use any of my camera's without having some sort of filter installed as insurance. In my initial posting on this thread I noted that I had the polarizer filter installed on the 01 Prime for those photographs. Here in Arizona the polarizer is my normal outdoor filter.

10-31-2014, 03:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

For me, it's not. I usually wear T-shirts albeit with a pocket and they don't lend themselves to carrying much. I also always wear shorts year round (unless I'm on my motorbike) and they have only a hip pocket and a small fob pocket for loose change (Aussies will know what I mean when I say I wear Stubbies and have been for over 40 years).

So if I want to take the camera, it hangs off my wrist or in a shoulder bag. Consequently, it rarely goes anywhere with me. (To tell the truth, I don't even know where it is at the moment.)
10-31-2014, 03:32 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Ah stubbies, yes I'm wearing them as I sit and type this. However I find my Q fits easily in the pocket, even with the 02 zoom attached in my baggy long shorts. It gets to take a lot more pictures theses days than my Kr does, simply because it is a lot easier to carry around.
10-31-2014, 05:02 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Q or Q7 is always with me or my wife, usually in a pocket or small carry bag - unless there's a specific reason to have the big camera.

I have a pristine Q, user Q bought here and a Q7 that I couldn't care less whether it gets scratched up. When we go out one of us has the 02 or 03, the other the 01. If we're planning something we take an Optio bag with all the bits and the 06.

11-01-2014, 12:41 AM   #8

It's the only way I can take mine, in my pocket of some type. I have no bag for it that I can carry.
I'd rather spend a few dollars on trousers that work this way. It's hardly a hardship.
11-01-2014, 12:45 AM   #9
Forum Member

Yes it can be considered! Few nights back (yeah after work) I went to a pentax dealer in my area and handled one QS1 camera and so darn impressed it made me think to buy one for the wifey's birthday! in white and gold! Very nice solidly build cameras and the buttery smooth shutter button once its pressed down gives you that oh so nice feeling of a quality P&S compact camera. Otherwise for the ladies, I think it can fit into a small-medium size bags and for us guys a small leather bag will do!
11-01-2014, 04:19 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
[SIZE=3]The first image shows how the Q7 as well as the wrist strap fits completely in my shirt pocket. There is no concern about it slipping out.
Ah, I was wondering about that first pic. Thought it was just for comparison. But if that is the camera being inside it does look pocketable indeed!

QuoteOriginally posted by jcagara08 Quote
Otherwise for the ladies, I think it can fit into a small-medium size bags
Those bags are black holes! If you get a chance to rummage through you can find whole galaxies in there. So... not much of a point.
11-01-2014, 05:40 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Undot Quote
Those bags are black holes! If you get a chance to rummage through you can find whole galaxies in there. So... not much of a point.
I've always wondered, if a black clutch bag will do for a night on the town, why does a lady need to carry a steamer trunk the rest of the time?
11-01-2014, 06:36 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
My Q spends most of its life in a small pocket in my college backpack, I have on occasion went about with it in my jacket pocket with the 01 prime, i wouldn't dare try have it in my jeans pocket.
11-02-2014, 06:18 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not easily pocketable

I have tried carrying the Q in my cargo pant pockets but it is not comfortable or safe on hikes. The little leather case originally for the Optio is easy to carry and contains the Q, 08, 01 and 06 along with batteries and the Clear Viewer LCD viewer.
11-06-2014, 01:36 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zero86r Quote
My Q spends most of its life in a small pocket in my college backpack, I have on occasion went about with it in my jacket pocket with the 01 prime, i wouldn't dare try have it in my jeans pocket.
Be careful how you handle that backpack. When she was in college, my older daughter had the LCD on a camera go bad. We eventually realized that she would often drop her backpack when she arrived somewhere because it was so heavy. She didn't worry about the camera because it was in a side-pocket, but shock is a danger to LCDs, and just the sudden stop at the end of each backpack drop delivered enough shock to the camera that eventually the LCD was ruined.