Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-02-2014, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ClearViewer LCD viewer

While making another post I was reminded of this wonderful accessory for the Q and K01. I have no relationship to this company except to own one of its products but I thought newer Q users might like to know that there is a handy device which allows better focusing with the LCD, even in bright sun light. Here is the URL

ClearViewer home

What I like most about it is that, in addition to the clearer view, it allows some of the stability of a viewfinder since you can press your face against it to stabilize the camera.

11-02-2014, 07:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Looks intriguing. I have to admit that I love my Q7, but find it very difficult to compose and focus in bright daylight,
particularly with all the manual glass I want to use on it.

The product images could be better and larger. As is, that lens looks quite crude and gives the impression it would
create considerable distortion.

Do you use the tripod or hotshoe version?
11-02-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Maybe take a look at this: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/268824-cooked-my-q7-lcd.html
11-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Looks intriguing. I have to admit that I love my Q7, but find it very difficult to compose and focus in bright daylight,
particularly with all the manual glass I want to use on it.

The product images could be better and larger. As is, that lens looks quite crude and gives the impression it would
create considerable distortion.

Do you use the tripod or hotshoe version?
I use the hotshoe version. It works very well with the optional better quality lens. I mainly use it in bright sunlight but also for stability.

---------- Post added 11-02-14 at 08:57 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
I asked Clearview about this and reported their response in the thread you quote.

11-03-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just be careful, I still plan to keep using my ClearViewer on my new Q7 it is a great device and less obtrusive than the hood loupe, just keep the lens folded when not is use.

Hans
11-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Just be careful, I still plan to keep using my ClearViewer on my new Q7 it is a great device and less obtrusive than the hood loupe, just keep the lens folded when not is use.

Hans
Wow, thanks for the link to your earlier thread. How long was the lens cooked, if known? Instantaneous, seconds, minutes?
Definitely a bummer no matter how it happened.
11-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Wow, thanks for the link to your earlier thread. How long was the lens cooked, if known? Instantaneous, seconds, minutes?
Definitely a bummer no matter how it happened.
It took just seconds for the screen to get damaged, I was carrying it on a shoulder strap dangling at my side with an adapted 200mm lens on the camera, the heavy lens was holding the camera in a position with the lcd screen facing straight up. The eye piece was attached and I was just walking. You can see the movement of the burn marks on the screen. I have to believe it happened in an instant.

11-03-2014, 05:28 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have used the Q with the ClearViewer in the Arizona summer sun without problems. I always turn the camera off (the camera overheats quickly in the summer here) and fold the lens up. However, I have done nothing special since Hans unfortunate experience.