Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2014, 12:30 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Cheap no name PK DA adapter “test”

I decided to buy a new adapter for my Q allowing to open and close down aperture on DA lenses. I have chosen a no name unit from Ebay - it just says EM DA-PQ on it, no manufacturer specified on the box or in sellers description.

The cost was 20,5 USD including shipment from Hong Kong to Europe.

After 10 days the postman gave me "the gift" from my Hong Kong friend (according to custom declaration).

Here the unboxing - just a carton box with some notice by hand.

The adapter itself.

This shows that it is painted with matte dark grey inside.

This is a stepless adapter, so the only possibility to control the aperture value is to check the exposure with the Q. It is not convenient, but not a big deal for me because I plan to use my DA40XS close to wide open and my other lenses have aperture rings.
I see no possibility to combine the adapter with a tripod ring. The adapter fits my camera and the lens fits into, nothing moves, or at least not much (trust me this is sometimes problematic with generic Chinese adapters).

BTW the seller named this: Pentax DA Lens to Pentax Q PQ P/Q Mount Adapter DA-PQ

I have tested this one mainly with my DA 40 XS and I'm satisfied with the results. The price/quality relation is really OK for me.

…now I can fit my selfmade adapter featuring tripod ring with M42 adapter permanently and use it for my Takumar lenses (which are mainly longer lenses).

11-08-2014, 01:51 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been wondering about these myself - but really thinking that the ones with a lens foot would work a bit better.

11-08-2014, 02:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I have been wondering about these myself - but really thinking that the ones with a lens foot would work a bit better.

For me the best is to have two - one for shorter lenses without the foot and for longer you definitely have to mount this to the monopod at least.
11-08-2014, 05:47 AM   #4
Forum Member

Have you tried any of the manual pk/a or pk lenses with the adapter? I have the fotodiox version for DA lenses and noticed that I cannot close the aperture down (manually) all the way on the manual lenses. The pin on the adapter prevents this.

11-08-2014, 05:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gt6plus Quote
Have you tried any of the manual pk/a or pk lenses with the adapter? I have the fotodiox version for DA lenses and noticed that I cannot close the aperture down (manually) all the way on the manual lenses. The pin on the adapter prevents this.
I tried this just - it works normally and it seems it works for the whole aperture range.
11-08-2014, 06:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Piotrek K, good post. Like that your adapter is painted inside to reduce reflections. The designer must read these forums. Interesting.

Have fun witth the adapter, Q, and long adapted lenses, You have opened doors to new photo possibilities. Enjoy.
thanks
barondla
11-19-2014, 11:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks or the review. I hadn't seen this version yet. Fotodiox has switched to this design and does not have a tripod mount version any more.
11-20-2014, 07:55 AM   #8
Site Supporter

So when are we going to see some pictures of actual results?

11-20-2014, 11:26 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Some results were posted here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/209474-adapted-lenses-tested...ml#post3010026
11-20-2014, 01:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice examples, Piotrek K! All shot with an electronic shutter, then?
11-24-2014, 07:04 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Nice examples, Piotrek K! All shot with an electronic shutter, then?
Yes, I have not the genuine adapter.