Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Q7 + 01 Prime vs MX-1 (or other premium compact)?

Has anyone compared the Q7 (or Q-S1) + 01 Prime vs the MX-1 or other premium small-sensored compact... just in term of image quality?

Yes, I'm talking pixel-peeping here.

11-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Good question. The MX-1 has been compared to the Sony RX1(?) but I do not recall seeing a direct Q7 vs MX-1 comparison.
11-08-2014, 11:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm very interested in this! I have the MX-1 and love it. I considered the Q7 during my shopping phase, but eliminated it since the MX-1 was more convenient (no lenses to change and an articulated screen). The IQ is great and it's easy and responsive.... The Q system is so endearing, though, I find myself desiring the QS-1...

I'll be tuning in to this thread...
11-08-2014, 12:19 PM - 1 Like   #4

I have had a Q for a year or so, and purchased an MX-1 in September of this year for a month-long bicycle trip from Canada to Mexico on the Pacific Coast Highway. My K-5 and lenses were too bulky and heavy, while the MX-1 has a larger sensor than the Q, so I chose the MX-1 for the trip. I am happy with the performance and image quality of the MX-1, and love it just as severalsnakes does.

Now that the price of the Q-S1 + 02 lens kit has dropped on Amazon, I may go for that. But, first I will compare and contrast its image quality to that of the MX-1 here: Pentax MX-1: Digital Photography Review. DPReview offers the handy ability to compare images side-by-side from two cameras.

I was pleased that several stock photo agencies accepted quite a few photos from the MX-1. Small-scale samples are attached.

If the IQ of the Q-S1/Q7 is as high as the MX-1, it might make a good bird photography body when combined with the Q to K adapter and the M 135mm or DA* 300mm lenses in my kit. If I take the plunge, I'll let you know how it compares to the MX-1.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX MX-1  Photo 
11-08-2014, 12:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rruntsch Quote
I have had a Q for a year or so, and purchased an MX-1 in September of this year for a month-long bicycle trip from Canada to Mexico on the Pacific Coast Highway. My K-5 and lenses were too bulky and heavy, while the MX-1 has a larger sensor than the Q, so I chose the MX-1 for the trip. I am happy with the performance and image quality of the MX-1, and love it just as severalsnakes does.

Now that the price of the Q-S1 + 02 lens kit has dropped on Amazon, I may go for that. But, first I will compare and contrast its image quality to that of the MX-1 here: Pentax MX-1: Digital Photography Review. DPReview offers the handy ability to compare images side-by-side from two cameras.
The Q7 images on DPR were taken with the kit zoom, not the 01 prime, which is why I did not cite the DPR comparison, and am asking specifically about the 01, as the kit is not highly regarded for sharpness.
11-08-2014, 12:44 PM   #6

Ah, I see. The only Q lens I own is the 01 prime, but unfortunately, only the Q body with the smaller sensor.
11-08-2014, 03:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Check out Digital Cameras, Digital Camera Reviews - The Imaging Resource! they will let you do side by side comparisons of different camera images full size, they have some images from the Q7 and some from the MX1 but again it is with the 02 zoom
11-08-2014, 04:54 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
Check out Digital Cameras, Digital Camera Reviews - The Imaging Resource! they will let you do side by side comparisons of different camera images full size, they have some images from the Q7 and some from the MX1 but again it is with the 02 zoom
But that's the zoom, and I'm looking for a comparison with the 01 prime...

11-09-2014, 12:54 PM   #9
Pentaxian

MX-1 has a zoom lens, so you can't really compare the 01 with it or any other compact - elements are different of course.
For IQ, you honestly can't go past the MX-1. It's superior. It's movie IQ is also superior to the Q.
11-14-2014, 07:14 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I don't own the MX-1, but since I got the GR the Q (Original + 01) sees pretty little usage. I never did a pixel-peep comparison but I have the feeling that would be really unfair to the Q!
11-14-2014, 04:06 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
MX-1 has a zoom lens, so you can't really compare the 01 with it or any other compact - elements are different of course.
For IQ, you honestly can't go past the MX-1. It's superior. It's movie IQ is also superior to the Q.
Yeah, I know that the lenses are different, I'm just thinking in terms of absolute IQ at a given focal length. The FOV with this lens on a Q7 feels like it might be a good one for me for general use. I'm also thinking about the fact that the 01 is a prime and thus doesn't have the compromises inherent in the zoom lens of the MX-1, so even though the MX-1 has a lens more specifically "tuned" for it there wouldn't be a difference in IQ.

Basically, I'm just thinking out loud...
11-15-2014, 08:48 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mano Quote
I don't own the MX-1, but since I got the GR the Q (Original + 01) sees pretty little usage. I never did a pixel-peep comparison but I have the feeling that would be really unfair to the Q!
Yes, it would be unfair considering the size of the GR sensor compared to the tiny Q/Q7 sensor. Nevertheless for many purposes the Q7 is really outstanding.