Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2014, 12:06 AM   #1

How do you release the robot arm flash?

For my original Q, the flash release mechanism is undampened. It just springs up quite violently and I would always slow it down with my finger because it feels like something might break! I'm sure the Pentax engineers has calculated all the force and impact to the flash unit during the motion during the design, so I think it's just me. Do you damp the mechanism or just let it spring open on it's own?

11-11-2014, 01:14 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yes, I just let it go , never had any problems with the Q or recently purchased Q-s1.
the only time it needs some help is when I have optical viewfinder attached.
11-11-2014, 01:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just pop that sucker out when you need it
11-11-2014, 01:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I always manage to momentarily startle my subjects while using Q01 up close, and flicking that flash . (Of course, I retract it immediately, as I don't really use it anyway . I just wish that it has an automated retracting system)

Last edited by drypenn; 11-11-2014 at 02:11 AM.
11-11-2014, 02:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Everyone wants the Q to do more automation, but that little battery is barely enough to run the camera and still let us record a few photos
11-11-2014, 05:33 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How often do you guys pop up the flash vs use it collapsed? I shoot very few people with the Q so the flash is rarely popped up. Acually use the flash rarely at all.

thanks
barondla

Time to take the Q for a walk.
11-11-2014, 07:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
How often do you guys pop up the flash vs use it collapsed? I shoot very few people with the Q so the flash is rarely popped up. Acually use the flash rarely at all.
I only use it when I absolutely have to for quick snapshots, but I always pop it up when I do use it. The farther away from the lens, the better... even if it is only an extra inch or so.

11-11-2014, 07:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

About the only time I use the flash is when I am photographing someone out of doors. In those situations I use the flash in it's extended position to fill shadows and soften the subjects facial features which are rendered harsh by the bright sun light out here. I also use it to separate them from the background when they are in the shade. In the attached snap shot photo of two of my motorcycle riding friends, taken in the shade, I used the flash to brighten their faces. Had I not used it then the area under their hats, their foreheads, would have been quite dark. By the way, when using the flash with the 06 lens, the flash has to be in the up position otherwise you will get a shadow from the lens.

I use a two finger method of activating the flash. Two fingers from my left hand on the top of the camera. The second finger is resting lightly on top of the flash while the first finger trips the flash activation button. As the flash snaps up my second finger acts as a snubber and moderates the force with which it moves up into position. While it might not cause any damage I just don’t like hearing the snap and feeling that slight amount of vibration through the camera body when it pops up into position.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 

Last edited by CWRailman; 11-11-2014 at 07:46 AM.
11-11-2014, 08:38 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe a competition to see how far one can flip a coin off the Q camera using the flash would be better than these silly best photo and most post contests?
11-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

It is pretty abrupt, isn't it?
But it helps having it that much higher. Not a lot, but a bit.

I just got my own Q (my wife has had one for a while now) and used it as my primary camera at a birthday party over the weekend for the first time. I was being lazy and taking snapshots from the couch and so on, nothing like I usually would do. Even with the flash raised, I've never had to correct that much redeye before since I stopped using P&S cameras. I should have put my external flash on it, even if it is bigger than the camera.
11-12-2014, 05:55 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice people image CWRailman. The fill flash improves the picture quality.
thanks
barondla

But which direction does a coin fly when launched by the Q flash? Uh ohhh.
11-13-2014, 03:26 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use the built-in flash ALL THE TIME. It works great with the 03 for low-light selfie shots with multiple people (use the 2 sec. timer).

I just flick the switch and let the flash fly with no worries. I've done it hundreds of times. Sometimes when I'm just at my computer and my Q is at my desk, I just fiddle with it, and sometimes this means I just constantly pop the flash open and closed.

I have tried to use the flash to launch things on my desk while bored at work.

When I'm showing the Q off to people, I always say "WALL-E" in a really annoying robot voice as I'm opening the flash, and it sometimes makes people laugh (and sometimes they don't and I quickly change the subject).

In short: Don't worry!