Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-23-2014, 04:38 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
LCD shade/hood

Definitely needs a shade/hood for the LCD screen. DIY to the rescue.

This one's made from a potted meat tin (Spam in this case). Held in place only by the tab in the flash shoe although a little tape might be needed in windy conditions. The tab's made from the cut-out of the top (trimmed to size with common scissors) and is folded double to provide a spring fit in the shoe. Clear tape covers the tab so the flash contacts can't short out.

The tab's presently Super Glued but may be soldered or epoxied later

The hardest part was cutting out the top of the can with a can opener - the corner radius is too tight and I had to finish them with an Xacto blade - watch your fingers!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
11-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
that paint looks like it's left over from a PBR
11-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is clever and looks like it will work. But, gosh, is it ugly!
11-23-2014, 07:36 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lcd hood will help with reflections. Good job pacerr.

Pentax made a small PnS camera once with two slots on either side of the LCD. A small plastic shade fit those slots. So handy - no idea why they abandoned it.
thanks
barondla

11-24-2014, 04:45 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Definitely needs a shade/hood for the LCD screen. DIY to the rescue.
Nice mod! I could try something like it for the K-01...

QuoteOriginally posted by dh4412 Quote
that paint looks like it's left over from a PBR
Excuse my thickness...
PhotoBioReactor?
Patrol Boat/River?
Plastic Baton Round?
Polished-Bore Receptacle?
Patapsco and Black Rivers Railroad Company?
11-24-2014, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Nice mod! I could try something like it for the K-01...

Excuse my thickness...
PhotoBioReactor?
Patrol Boat/River?
Plastic Baton Round?
Polished-Bore Receptacle?
Patapsco and Black Rivers Railroad Company?
forgive my obtuseness : yes, patrol boat riverine- PBR (Patrol Boat, Riverine) - Armed Low Water Patrol Boat - History, Specs and Pictures - Navy Ships ( not sure pacerr goes that far back though )
11-24-2014, 07:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

forgive my obtuseness : yes, patrol boat riverine- PBR (Patrol Boat, Riverine) - Armed Low Water Patrol Boat - History, Specs and Pictures - Navy Ships ( not sure pacerr goes that far back though )
Haha thanks! I figured it must have been something very pragmatic and practical... like a military paint...
The hood should go well with this as well:
Camo Ready Limited Edition Pentax K-m

11-24-2014, 08:20 AM   #23

looking again at the images above of your camera and ingenious spam-can adaptation...... why do you have an ND4 filter on there ? weren't you paying attention when bcb and i were trying to figure out that in-camera nd filter setting ( which i don't know if i have ever truly figured out yet anyway ) on the Q ?
11-24-2014, 10:09 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
why do you have an ND4 filter on there ? weren't you paying attention when bcb and i were trying to figure out that in-camera nd filter setting
Mmmm, OK . . . how 'bout the first post in this thread? It's an empty ring used with a mask-type hood. Check the lens in the 1st pic.

My first 'fix' has been to get a half a dozen cheap 40.5mm UV filters, remove the glass and 'MacGyver' some compact/pancake hoods . . . Simply stack a few empty filter rings for starters.
11-24-2014, 03:30 PM   #25

Originally posted by dh4412
why do you have an ND4 filter on there ? weren't you paying attention when bcb and i were trying to figure out that in-camera nd filter setting
Mmmm, OK . . . how 'bout the first post in this thread? It's an empty ring used with a mask-type hood. Check the lens in the 1st pic.
ok, i stand , once again, corrected .
11-26-2014, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Coupl'a more

The "peg-legged" Joby pod makes a stable support for hand-holding the camera at eye-level. I actually prefer all three legs (two on chest, one over shoulder) or two legs (two on chest) for best effect but the single leg is significantly more convenient to pack and carry. Works better for me than any of the shoulder stock rests I've tried and accommodates DSLRs too.

Many medicine bottles make the right size hood tube for a slip fit into a 40.5mm filter ring. A total length of 2.5 cm works fine without vignetting on the 06 lens at 15mm and for the 02 lens at its longer FLs.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
11-27-2014, 06:31 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice projects pacerr. Really like the hood for the 06. It looks close to store bought.
Have you done any aux. batteries for the Q?
thanks
barondla
11-27-2014, 09:04 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Have you done any aux. batteries for the Q?
No, but that's an interesting thought. Three, maybe four, AA Eneloops and a tiny voltage regulator circuit in a pocket-sized flat pack . . . ? Ought'a last a while.

( not sure pacerr goes that far back though )
Oh, I go back farther than that -- but I preferred to view 'em from an air conditioned cockpit and return to a cold PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon).
11-27-2014, 11:30 AM   #29
Pentaxian

No, but that's an interesting thought. Three, maybe four, AA Eneloops and a tiny voltage regulator circuit in a pocket-sized flat pack . . . ? Ought'a last a while.
I would think that AAA would be sufficient. I've been leery of special batteries ever since my Super Program pooped out on the first outing my wife and I took using it, and we spent some of our time looking for someone who sold those button batteries that (it turned out) my Super Program went through way too fast. The good thing about AA and AAA batteries is that everyone sells them, and they don't run out of those batteries even when there is a run on supplies, for example before a hurricane or snow storm approaches.
12-01-2014, 01:32 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I would think that AAA would be sufficient. I've been leery of special batteries ever since my Super Program pooped out on the first outing my wife and I took using it, and we spent some of our time looking for someone who sold those button batteries that (it turned out) my Super Program went through way too fast. The good thing about AA and AAA batteries is that everyone sells them, and they don't run out of those batteries even when there is a run on supplies, for example before a hurricane or snow storm approaches.
No surprises here... also, I have a KM and a KX (the film ones) and they each use a different button battery...