Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2014, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Both mine and my wife's 02 copies are plenty sharp. I like 'em just fine.

High res pic: https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t31.0-8/10265417_7381...79176183_o.jpg

Not so hi-res:

11-15-2014, 08:01 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Wonderful shots there, Gibby! They show that the 02 lens is capable of great IQ!
11-15-2014, 08:06 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Wonderful shots there, Gibby! They show that the 02 lens is capable of great IQ!
Yeh, I agree with Gibby and 6BQ5. The lens is just fine as Gibby's pictures show. It is wide angle so the photos with it will have a different quality than the 06 or 01 but not necessarily a lesser quality. I do not think what I just said was as inconsistent as it may appear
11-17-2014, 09:52 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
Mine is absolutely terrible. I never use it. It is not sharp at all, at least on the telephoto end. In fact, the images from it are so bad that it takes the fun out of using the camera. The few times I've tried to use it, I've just ended up staring at the screen trying to figure out where the point of focus was supposed to be.
Maybe we got bad copies because I agree 100%. I will go a step further and say it is the worst lens I have ever purchased on any platform. I didn't realize it until I got an 01.

11-17-2014, 10:04 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Gibby,
I forwarded the link to this discussion to a friend of mine who spends a lot of time on the water and just as I thought, he said your image of the water would make a great computer screen saver.
11-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
That is true but if you shoot in program mode the camera will keep you out of diffraction zone. I see some talk of poor copies, I have had 3 copies of the 02 and all were excellent. Sold one with one of my Q's to fund a new Q7 still have the other 2

As for poor quality, I have had a bad 06 (failed to focus) that Pentax replaced but I have also has a bad Canon SD 500 (always missed focus) it was the top of the line P&S at the time.
It could be something like 90% of the 02's are just fine, but the remaining 10% will cause 90% of the talk about the lens. I'm not saying this to criticize the folks who have a bad copy, its simply human nature to talk more about the negative experiences
11-19-2014, 08:14 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
Gibby,
I forwarded the link to this discussion to a friend of mine who spends a lot of time on the water and just as I thought, he said your image of the water would make a great computer screen saver.
Thanks very much! That was taken last year on a boat ride in the Wisconsin Dells. The Q is a nifty little vacation camera.

11-30-2014, 11:58 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Since I started this thread I have noted a bunch of really good images shot with the 02 lens posted in various threads on this forum. So I am wondering if the bad rep the 02 had might have been some early lenses, or were they lenses that were not compatible with the original Q sensor, or possibly a software issue that did not make proper use of the 02’s optics? It seems most of the folks who had difficulty with the 02 were using the Q or Q10. But again I am wondering if somewhere along the way the 02 has been upgraded without that upgrade being publicized.
11-30-2014, 03:20 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
Since I started this thread I have noted a bunch of really good images shot with the 02 lens posted in various threads on this forum. So I am wondering if the bad rep the 02 had might have been some early lenses, or were they lenses that were not compatible with the original Q sensor, or possibly a software issue that did not make proper use of the 02’s optics? It seems most of the folks who had difficulty with the 02 were using the Q or Q10. But again I am wondering if somewhere along the way the 02 has been upgraded without that upgrade being publicized.
Interesting theory. It would be nice to find out. Does anyone have both the original and the newer (usually black) Q 02?