Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #1

Roxsen 110-Q adapter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Anyone have one of these?

I'm going to be joining the Q owners with a Q10 in about ten days, and I have one of the 18mm lenses for the Auto 110 SLRs which I notice seems to be well reviewed on the Q. Just wondering whether this adapter is reasonably well made and whether it maintains infinity focus?

I'm well aware of the fixed aperture and manual focus, but for the price of the adapter it sounds like it could be fun to play with.

11-15-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I have the fotodiox Q 110 adapter, works fine -- you can put lensbaby aperture discs in it and they fit perfectly. The picture that Roxsen has on ebay looks identical except the word "fotodiox" is missing. (I wonder if that is a real picture or they are really the same.) The 50 and 70 are nice to use as they give you a compact telephoto beyond the range of the any of the Q lenses. The 20-40 zoom is also surprisingly good and not a bad budget option if you don't want to buy the 06.

Amazon/Fotodiox listing:

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter-Q-Series-Mirrorless-Cameras/dp/B008BB...+q+110+adapter

Roxsen ebay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pentax-110-Mount-Lens-To-Pentax-Q-PQ-P-Q-Mount-Inter...item19d53c3fa7
11-15-2014, 08:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I have the fotodiox Q 110 adapter, works fine -- you can put lensbaby aperture discs in it and they fit perfectly. The picture that Roxsen has on ebay looks identical except the word "fotodiox" is missing. (I wonder if that is a real picture or they are really the same.) The 50 and 70 are nice to use as they give you a compact telephoto beyond the range of the any of the Q lenses. The 20-40 zoom is also surprisingly good and not a bad budget option if you don't want to buy the 06.

Amazon/Fotodiox listing:

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter-Q-Series-Mirrorless-Cameras/dp/B008BB...+q+110+adapter

Roxsen ebay listing:

Pentax 110 Mount Lens to Pentax Q PQ P Q Mount Interchangeable Lens Adapter | eBay
So when you're using this adapter you're using the electronic shutter?
Are you concerned about the usual problems of needing a static situation?
11-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So when you're using this adapter you're using the electronic shutter?
Are you concerned about the usual problems of needing a static situation?
I think you are over concerned about this, but it depends on what you take pictures of I suppose. The "problems" don't really come up that often -- every once in a while you'll see a shot with a weird effect or a "split" in it. (The longer the lens, the more it will come up.) But I take pictures of mostly static things, so it just isn't a big deal for me. If you shooting race cars, you'll want a shutter.

See this thread for some examples, and make sure you click on crewl1's link to another thread where he shows the bizarre effect of shooting moving fan blades:

11-15-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I think you are over concerned about this, but it depends on what you take pictures of I suppose. The "problems" don't really come up that often -- every once in a while you'll see a shot with a weird effect or a "split" in it. (The longer the lens, the more it will come up.) But I take pictures of mostly static things, so it just isn't a big deal for me. If you shooting race cars, you'll want a shutter.

See this thread for some examples, and make sure you click on crewl1's link to another thread where he shows the bizarre effect of shooting moving fan blades:
Thank you for your patience.
It may take time for me to absorb all of this.

As I already mentioned, one use I would have for a Q would be bird walks with my wife, where it with a good zoom lens might work better than a K-50 with the long lens too expensive for me to pay for, so need to think about the implications of this as my only k-mount legacy zoom lens wasn't top-of-the-line even when I bought it in 1982.
11-15-2014, 09:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Thank you for your patience.
It may take time for me to absorb all of this.

As I already mentioned, one use I would have for a Q would be bird walks with my wife, where it with a good zoom lens might work better than a K-50 with the long lens too expensive for me to pay for, so need to think about the implications of this as my only k-mount legacy zoom lens wasn't top-of-the-line even when I bought it in 1982.
You'll want any K lens you put on it to be very sharp and decently fast -- a not very good old zoom will probably look terrible, period. Because of diffraction you don't want to be shooting with a smaller aperture than f/5.6, f/8 max (and only then with a very sharp lens) , shooting at f/4 on a lens that is max 2.8 or bigger is ideal.) Lenses prone to fringing won't look great. You want to keep your ISO down to avoid noise (Q7 and newer more forgiving than original Q here, I've yet to use it but have one on the way.) The A 35-105/3.5 might be good fairly cheap option, it has a very good rep although I haven't tried it. A macro lens in the 70-105 range could be good. And of course any of the high-end primes...
11-16-2014, 08:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The F 35-70 f/3.5-4.5 is small, light, cheap and sharp enough for the Q. The A version is supposedly optically identical. I haven't taken any real test shots (I should), but it seems very good on the long end, and perfectly acceptable on the "wide" end (still long on the Q). Probably best one click closed (f/4.5 on the wide end, f/6.7 on the long). Nice on a K body too. (Well, optically, the mechanics are not exactly inspiring.)

11-16-2014, 09:17 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Getting back to the original subject, if you're not looking for super-telephoto, the 110 70mm is very sharp and much more light & compact than any K lens you're going to get. (Although it is huge and heavy compared to the other 110 lenses, which are tiny and weigh nothing.) You just have to live with the electronic shutter and the fact that you can't change apertures (often, anyway). I put in the f/11 lensbaby disc (the f/11 disc gives you around an f/4 on 110 lenses I think). There is even the Soligor 1.7x teleconverter for 110 lenses, which I also have been haven't tested enough to know how sharp the combo is on the Q...