Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thoughts on Q battery

There seem to have been a great many complaints about the battery but I think it works pretty well for the size of both the camera and the battery. If I am just taking stills I can count on 200 shots, sometimes more. It really is a tiny battery so it can only hold a limited charge. I have been satisfied with the performance. Spares are very cheap so I have never run out of power for my Q/Q7. I do not remember ever having to use more than 2 fully charged batteries over a full day of shooting.

Another thing just occurred to me and actually prompted this post - the batteries charge very quickly! That is a positive for me.

11-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was oddly fortunate that it takes the same battery as the Fuji F550 that fell hard onto concrete a few months before the Q sales hit. Spare battery and wall charger were just waiting for a camera to show up!
11-15-2014, 08:00 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I was oddly fortunate that it takes the same battery as the Fuji F550 that fell hard onto concrete a few months before the Q sales hit. Spare battery and wall charger were just waiting for a camera to show up!
Funny.Same here. I had the Fuji F600 and later the F770 and prefer the Fuji charger. Batteries are the same.
11-15-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The Super Program was seriously underpowered - using two of those funky button batteries. The first time my wife and I went on an outing using my Super Program, it ran out of power right at the beginning, and we ended up spending part of our limited time looking for someone, anyone, who carried them. This was thirty years ago, and ever since then my camera bag has included several sets of batteries ready to go. From my perspective, that is just part of being a photographer, like carrying extra film used to be.

Frankly, I'd prefer that cameras use readily available batteries, like AAA or AA, so I could just go to the nearest convenience store in case of an emergency, but I understand the space limitations that prevent that. I'm glad that the K-50 has an AA-adapter, which is one reason it is at the top of my next camera list. I try to have a car charger for whatever batteries I'm using. But having several extra sets will always be the best preparation.

11-15-2014, 11:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm happy with the Pentax branded batteries for my original Q. The generics I bought are rubbish though.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 11-15-2014 at 11:59 PM.
11-16-2014, 01:23 AM   #6

I'm also pragmatic, it is what it is.
However does anyone know of a method of charging these via USB rather than needing a wall charger? That would be quite handy.
J
11-16-2014, 09:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't have a problem with battery life on my Q's it is what it is, so I carry several batteries. To think of it I carry one or 2 extra batteries with whatever camera I am using. That includes my K30, Kr, my Canon P&S's and the Q's doesn't everybody. Batteries are small and I don't want to miss THAT shot.

11-17-2014, 12:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have no complain with the battery.
However, the temporary battery (may be a cap) holding the time data is very bad.
I have to set the time EVERYTIME I change my battery. I am very disappointed on this.
11-17-2014, 02:35 AM   #9

I've always found the battery life a bit too short. but spares are thankfully cheap and easy to find.

It will never happen in a million years but I would love them to make a tiny Q battery grip, the whole thing could be a moulded battery with a micro USB port to charge it!

A bit pointless but would look good
11-17-2014, 05:21 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sapporodan Quote
I've always found the battery life a bit too short. but spares are thankfully cheap and easy to find.

It will never happen in a million years but I would love them to make a tiny Q battery grip, the whole thing could be a moulded battery with a micro USB port to charge it!

Funny thought!
11-17-2014, 09:34 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery
Let's lobby for the battery grip!

I'd buy one!
Though I'd prefer a non-moulded approach.
Two parts, screwed together, with weather seals [rubber bands], and some kind of replaceable battery packs inside.
That way you only have to open the grip when the batteries need exchanging. Not very often...
Also I'd prefer mini-USB to micro. The micro ports clog up with dirt much easier than mini.
The size difference is negligible.
Super idea, though!

Thanks/Erik
11-17-2014, 09:53 AM   #12
Pentaxian

If I were going to have one, I'd much prefer something using a couple of AAA batteries.
That way I could grab a recharge at any convenience store.

The "scaring" incident in my life occurred when the button batteries powering my Super Program gave out at the beginning of the first outing my wife and I took with it, and we spent a portion of our precious time together finding someone who sold that particular type of battery.
11-17-2014, 10:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This topic, or some variation of it, seems to get regurgitated every month with no change in the outcome.
11-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #14

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
This topic, or some variation of it, seems to get regurgitated every month with no change in the outcome.
Fun to participate, though....
Thanks/Erik