Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2014, 11:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Video review of Q-S1

Video: Hands-On Review of the Pentax Q-S1 | explora

They give it a positive review which is not surprising as they like to sell things but still interesting none the less.

11-17-2014, 02:45 AM   #2

Always good to see more reviews for it, even slightly biased ones!

Talking about video reviews I wonder when Blunty will review it over on YouTube? (If you don't know him, he's a Tech reviewer who's a massive Q fan).
11-17-2014, 03:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Just because it's a store doesn't always have to mean that they are biased due to that in their reviews. Though I don't know how BH are but I know a bunch of stores that gladly calls stuff junk, even though they sell it.
11-17-2014, 04:08 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Just because it's a store doesn't always have to mean that they are biased due to that in their reviews. Though I don't know how BH are but I know a bunch of stores that gladly calls stuff junk, even though they sell it.
True, TheCameraStoreTV seem very honest with their product reviews, they must have annoyed a lot of manufacturers with some of the things they said. Even DigitalRev can be sometimes quite mean.

11-17-2014, 06:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm just waiting for the guys at DigitalRev to get their hands on one. I can just imagine the fun they'll have poking fun at the weirdness, the disco lights and all. :P
11-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I think you are confused with the K-S1. This thread is about the Q-S1.. No Disco LEDs

Has the reviewer actually used the camera..? I doubt it. He's likely reading from a script written hurriedly. He mentions Sensor Shift stabilization being used in video mode ("..to sharpen images" wtf!?.) Well, I think we all know about PENTAX's SR for video.
And what is "..sensor-shift image reduction" !?

Sorry, this review is garbage imho..

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 11-18-2014 at 07:03 PM.
11-19-2014, 02:16 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
I think you are confused with the K-S1. This thread is about the Q-S1.. No Disco LEDs

Has the reviewer actually used the camera..? I doubt it. He's likely reading from a script written hurriedly. He mentions Sensor Shift stabilization being used in video mode ("..to sharpen images" wtf!?.) Well, I think we all know about PENTAX's SR for video.
And what is "..sensor-shift image reduction" !?

Sorry, this review is garbage imho..
I agree, I was not impressed with the review. All the utterly fake shots of people using it just looked stupid! and the presenter just seemed to lack personality.

If I was not so fat and angry looking, I would try making my own reviews

11-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sapporodan Quote
If I was not so fat and angry looking, I would try making my own reviews
Don't let that stop you - Blunty does reviews all the time
11-19-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sapporodan Quote
Always good to see more reviews for it, even slightly biased ones!
Yep, though I'm sure DPR will review it, and their review will offset this positive one. I guess it all balances out in the end.
11-19-2014, 04:54 PM   #10
Forum Member

What is wrong with the review posted on this site recently? I t gave it a 7.3, just slightly higher than the q7.
11-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Yep, though I'm sure DPR will review it, and their review will offset this positive one. I guess it all balances out in the end.
Neither DPR nor Blunty will review the Q-S1 because except for the cosmetics, there is no significant difference between it and the Q7. Note that DPR waited for the Q7 to be released before they did a review on any of the Q series. Blunty did not review the Q10 because as he said during the review of the Q7, except for a change in body material, there was no change between the Q and the Q10. (He ignored the upgrades in image processing the Q10 had which slightly improved IQ when shooting JPG. but then he may not have been aware of those slight improvements.)

When a photography related site that relies on it’s reviews of new camera’s to bolster their on line traffic and increase their visitor and hit counts which impacts their on line rating does not jump on a new camera model as soon as it is released that usually indicates they have little good or supportive to say about the camera.

Remember that many of these sites have nothing new to say about the product but they regurgitate what others have said in the hopes of increasing their on line presence.
11-20-2014, 06:44 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
By the time DPReview get around to producing a review of this, the Pentax Q S-846 will be out
12-01-2014, 07:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
Neither DPR nor Blunty will review the Q-S1
Actually, Blunty has just reviewed the QS-1

12-01-2014, 11:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well shut the front door! I am humbled and surprised that Blunty did another review of the Q series but it’s always good to get his enthusiastic appraisal of the Q's. Unfortunately not everyone will hear his tempered cautions about using the LCD screen in sunny conditions or that the Q-S1 probably should not be considered as a replacement for your “serious camera”. I’ll go out on a limb here and guess that he means a DSLR.
12-01-2014, 11:26 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
Unfortunately not everyone will hear his tempered cautions about using the LCD screen in sunny conditions or that the Q-S1 probably should not be considered as a replacement for your “serious camera”.
I don't like speaking for everyone but it really doesn't matter what others hear or don't hear, that's their business.
Personally I think the Q is quite serious, for a little fella