Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2015, 03:32 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tony Belding Quote
I understand what you mean, and that's cool as far as it goes. Just don't forget that walking back-and-forth doesn't have the same perspective effect as zooming. With a zoom you can shoot a close-up of a subject, then walk away and shoot the same subject at a longer focal length for a different perspective.

Primes aren't going away, nor should they. However, zoom lenses today are fantastic. It isn't just because they don't have to be parfocal anymore (as you alluded), but there's a whole raft of other reasons why zoom performance has improved by leaps and bounds: They're computer designed now. They use more exotic lens elements (ED, AS). They have improved multi-coatings on all those (many) optical surfaces. Digital cameras can correct distortion and CA. Ever-improving high-ISO performance has made cameras more tolerant of slow zooms. It all adds up.
Yeah, but wide-angle zooms remain a big problem for all size sensor. Until my Canon Rebel died last month, the most expensive lens I was using was a Sigma 10mm-20mm which I got because taking pictures in museums (where rows are too close for me to take the pictures I want) has always been a problem for me. I'm not sure I want to buy another wide-angle zoom for the K-30 which has replaced the Rebel, nor an 08; for the short-run, I may "get by" in museums with a 0.45X adapter I bought to use with the 01 lens (it is actually a 52mm adapter with a 52-40.5 step-down ring); I had tried a similar adapter with the Rebel just before I got the Sigma lens, and I found the Sigma to be just marginally better (literally, since most of the difference was on the margins/edges of pictures).

06-08-2015, 03:49 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cjfeola Quote
. . . I keep the 08 on my Q7 at all times, and the 06 in my pocket . . .
I agree. The Q7 has three roles in my bag. Every day carry, desktop close-up and extreme telephoto tasks. I have the 01, 02, 03, 06 and 08 lenses plus a whole slew of adapted alternatives.

For routine carry it's the 08 + 06 -- which one is mounted depends on anticipated circumstances. With only the rear screen for focusing I prefer to depend on AF lenses and AE or P modes and the Q7 proves very satisfactory in that role. I'm quite willing to fill in any perceived field-of-view gaps with shoe leather . . . just as I did in the Spotmatic era.

Means of viewing and focusing with the LCD screen are much more important to success for me when using the Q(s) than having any particular lens. I can accommodate or compensate for FOV, perspective and composition, but if I can't see what I'm doin' . . . it ain't gonna end well come PP time.