Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2014, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What is the final output of your photographic endeavors?

I do not know if this has ever been discussed but in the recent conversation on image ratio the topic of making hard copy prints arose. As related to the Q series only, I am wondering what is the end product of most photo sessions? Are you making prints? Are they larger than the usual 4x6 or is the final usage of your images social or published media such as Facebook or WEB sites etc. Maybe someone can put this together in the form of a survey.

Personally about 99% of my images produced by my Q series cameras are used for WEB sites or social media and never get printed. Then again, most of the images shot with my DSLR’s are used for company product brochures, business cards, WEB sites, social media or displayed at home on my viewing screen. I seldom make prints. (see the Photographing Models Page of my WEB site to see how I display the images at home.)

11-17-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I keep telling myself I should be Printing at least my say favourite 10% of my output, at at least 5x7 (on the off chance I have multiple catastrophic failures of drives and other storage. ) . Reality is I print if I manage to arrange a show, or for gifts. I print for my own space as well but between my own work and the various art I've collected I'm pretty much out of space to hang them. I will have a new office at work come the new year and will manage a few for there (just can't decide what to print for the office)
11-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
I do not know if this has ever been discussed but in the recent conversation on image ratio the topic of making hard copy prints arose. As related to the Q series only, I am wondering what is the end product of most photo sessions? Are you making prints? Are they larger than the usual 4x6 or is the final usage of your images social or published media such as Facebook or WEB sites etc. Maybe someone can put this together in the form of a survey.

Personally about 99% of my images produced by my Q series cameras are used for WEB sites or social media and never get printed. Then again, most of the images shot with my DSLR’s are used for company product brochures, business cards, WEB sites, social media or displayed at home on my viewing screen. I seldom make prints. (see the Photographing Models Page of my WEB site to see how I display the images at home.)
After processing the photos from each gig/outing, they are uploaded to flickr and google+ as well as saved in the hard drive. The photos are then shared and the viewers (usually in group photos) can download and save a copy. I also use Dropbox and Onedrive for sharing. Then some photos are used to make photobooks, some are printed in various sizes (up to poster size) depending on needs. The trend is of course more for web-viewing and less for printing - except may be for photobook.
11-17-2014, 10:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

My "work" photos (all are digital) either get published on the web or filed away for documentary purposes.
My "art" photos (mostly film) get developed and printed for the client. If they're for me, I just scan the negatives I want to use.

11-17-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I keep them organized with catalogs and careful tagging.
I often browse through them (digitally).
I post some to my (general, not photography-specific) blog.
Some I give to my GF, who prints them.
11-17-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Mostly I do (college) theatre photography, and while there is a need for prints and (realistically even more so) shared jpg's, my criteria is how the print looks if/when I print. I select a small number of them for printing and then print (and reprint) till they are realized.

I assume this is generational in part, but I also think one looks at, and handles, and values a printed image, differently than a slide, and now differently than a computer screen image--at least I hope so!
11-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #7

I have a Qnap NAS running a DLNA server. I use an old 10" tablet as a viewer in the living room so my wife and I get all our pictures randomly rotating. It's wonderful.
Every few months or so an online printer has an offer going for an 80x60cm print. We choose one of these and remove the oldest one in use, usually giving it to a friend.

J

11-17-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I've been on a tear getting 4"x6" prints from Snapfish. Larger prints like 8"x10" and 8"x12" are done by my local camera store. The actual percentage of what I print compared to what I shoot is quite low.
11-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Mostly just my computer screen. Sometimes flickr or my (general) blog, occasionally prints. Never printed any Q image bigger than 20x30 cm.
11-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Several kinds of output, depending on the purpose of the photo shoot:

- I photograph frequently (couple of sessions a week, on average) for various animal welfare groups. I email them the files, which they post on social media, Pet Finder etc. One organization (farm sanctuary) prints some of the photos and gives them to people who sponsor the animals.
- I also make prints (5x7) of some of the best farm sanctuary images and donate them (enclosed in 8x10 mats) for sale by the sanctuary. It doesn't cost me a lot (I've probably spent about $100 this year) and I get a kick out of seeing people want to buy my images as a memory of the animals they've met.
- I post the better images from this volunteer work and other photo shoots on my website, and sometimes post the images on FB or 500px for feedback or just for fun.
- I've made some books through mypublisher.com, mainly for my own pleasure and to give as gifts to family members. But I also have donated a couple of the books to the animal welfare groups mentioned above for them to use in silent auctions, etc.
- Last year, I also made some very inexpensive desk calendars (Vistaprint) and gave them to colleagues, family, friends and the volunteers I know well at the animal welfare groups mentioned above. I'll be doing the same again this year, and I might sell some as a fundraiser.
- I've made some greeting cards (Valentine's Day, Christmas) and have sold or will be selling them as a fundraiser.
- I have a rotating gallery of small, framed prints in my office, sitting on a couple of floating shelves. I usually change the images once every month or so.
- I've had a couple of photos included in juried exhibitions run by the photography to which I belong. It was pretty exciting the first time to see my photo hanging on the wall in the National Arts Club in NYC.
- Finally, I have to print 10-20 images every couple of weeks for class critique in the photography program I'm taking at the International Center of Photography. I keep some of them and I give some of them away to colleagues.

Generally, I keep my prints fairly small: 5x7 or 11x14.
11-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote
I have a Qnap NAS running a DLNA server. I use an old 10" tablet as a viewer in the living room so my wife and I get all our pictures randomly rotating. It's wonderful.
Every few months or so an online printer has an offer going for an 80x60cm print. We choose one of these and remove the oldest one in use, usually giving it to a friend.

J
Interesting solution...
Do you keep everything always on (NAS, router, tablet), even at night?
I'd like to have something along those lines, but I fear I'd look at it only sporadically, hence reason that it would better be kept off, hence I would not bother turning it on when "needed"!
11-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jethro10 Quote

J
That is similar to the idea I had for showing my images. Have you ever thought of using a flat screen TV mounted on the wall like you would hang a large painting or framed picture to show your images. That was the main reason I bought my flat screen as I showed on my WEB site. Of course since then that is not entirely what it is used for.
11-18-2014, 02:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm making a yearly photo book documenting the past year's family life. I'm working on this year's edition for christmas right now. It's a lot of work but it's also quite fun.
I also print the good shots of my friends and family and give them away or hang them on the fridge door for a while.
I email sets of shots of family outings to the participants. They seem to enjoy it.
Sometimes on holidays in rental cottages I compose slideshows and run them by hooking up the camera to the TV.

Regards,
--Anders.
11-18-2014, 06:52 AM - 1 Like   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
Interesting solution...
Do you keep everything always on (NAS, router, tablet), even at night?
I'd like to have something along those lines, but I fear I'd look at it only sporadically, hence reason that it would better be kept off, hence I would not bother turning it on when "needed"!
The NAS is on 24x7 as it's in use often for various purposes - it was not bought for this, I just figured out it would work this way, so there was a Zero cost investment for this really. My tablet was getting old and slow and frustrating, so I bought a new one. This left me with an old Motorolla Xoom so I could argue it's cost nothing really.
the NAS uses between 20-24W depending on what it is doing. It has 3Gb memory and is quite clever ,it can often cache a lot of data and power down disks.
Router is always on, most ISP's recommend this as well.

The tablet is plugged into it's charger which is plugged into a timer in the mains socket, and we now know how long to have the timer running to keep it charged. We just press the tablet power button to switch it on/off from standby when required and it continues rotating the pics immediately without any further intervention.
It's almost square front in the living room and get looked at loads. it's usually on from early evening to bed time most days. Even watching Tv, you see it now and then, or when off to make a Cuppa or similar.

I wouldn't be without it
J

Last edited by jethro10; 11-18-2014 at 06:59 AM.
11-18-2014, 06:56 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Good question. I haven't printed a photo yet. I should get around to it some day.