Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2014, 04:49 AM   #1

Nikon 1 Or Q for telephoto?

The Pentax Q to K adaptor is a decent enough bit of kit, but I have always been put off by the lack of autofocus. I know the mighty Q cameras have a huge depth of field which helps, but it would be so nice to have it. Manually focusing lenses is something I can do but honestly never really enjoyed.

Nikon, Canon, Sony and I think Samsung have adapters that keep autofocus, and sell for around the same price as the Q-K adapter. I really hope Pentax can release one.

Which gets onto my question, does anyone have experience using the Nikon 1 system with the Nikon adaptor so it can use DX/FX lenses (I cant remember the Nikon Lens names!)
I have noticed The original Nikon 1 cameras are selling for next to nothing nowadays, and combined with a 70-300 it can reach 810mm with the benefit of keeping the autofocus (with Nikon lenses) and being able to shoot a hell of a lot faster the the Q.

Just curious!

11-24-2014, 06:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think there are three questions that will help you decide.
a) what is the focal length equivalent that you want to reach?
b) which system is cheaper or has better IQ for that focal length?
c) what gear do you already have? If you already have a good K-mount telephoto, then buying a Q adapter might be better than going for a whole new system.
11-24-2014, 08:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think there are three questions that will help you decide.
a) what is the focal length equivalent that you want to reach?
b) which system is cheaper or has better IQ for that focal length?
c) what gear do you already have? If you already have a good K-mount telephoto, then buying a Q adapter might be better than going for a whole new system.
Well, first I need to buy an 08 lens then Q S-1, after that I can think of other cameras

I was more curious than anything, The two systems have both advantages and disadvantages. the Nikon 1 has less crop factor, but your getting autofocus, the Q your getting a much higher crop factor but lacking autofocus.

I don't have any telephoto lenses apart form the Q 06, so at some point I want to get a longer telephoto lens.
And as I was thinking in the future getting a second hand Nikon 1 so I can to play with the high speed video, I was just wondering what people thought of it for telephoto shooting?
11-24-2014, 08:36 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I was looking at the legacy zoom lenses I have, including the zoom I used with my Super Program. I noticed that in each of them, most of the focus twist covers the area before 100' ... only a small part of the focus twist covers 100' to infinity. I'm not sure what you would be photographing with a telephoto lens, but my interest is mostly wildlife, and I was thinking that in many cases, autofocus would be unneeded - that in many cases setting the focus near to infinity would put the object within the dof.

11-24-2014, 08:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Do you have samples photos of telephoto with adapted lenses on the Nikon camera?
11-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I tried the Nikon 1 V1 with the FT-1 adapter and a 70-300mm DX lens. The reach was impressive (~800mm) but I wasn't in love with the setup. IIRC, AF only worked in the center and it was not as quick and positive as the native 1 lenses. To be honest, I didn't spend too much time with it and ended up returning it. Now that the native 70-300mm CX lens is out, I may give it another try, because the 1 series AF is as good as I've ever experienced, faster and more confident than the K-3.

For example, here's a shot where I simply lifted the camera and clicked as the action unfolded. The 1 V1 nailed the focus:

Goal
by john m flores, on Flickr

And here, I mounted the 1 V1 on the lead motorcycle and let it AF as we were both riding.

Acadia National Park, Maine
by john m flores, on Flickr

If AF is important to you, the Nikon 1 series is quite impressive.
11-24-2014, 09:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I do wonder why Pentax doesn't make a native Q mount extreme telephoto. It should be much easier than something for K-mount (where we have even 300mm and 560mm!)
11-24-2014, 10:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Well any kind of AF is great on these types of setups as long it is accurate. Nice shots John.

11-24-2014, 01:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I do wonder why Pentax doesn't make a native Q mount extreme telephoto. It should be much easier than something for K-mount (where we have even 300mm and 560mm!)
I think it would be a very specialized product that only a few would buy. The price would be high. Maybe Ricoh is afraid of releasing a premium lens like that.
11-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #10
Pentaxian

There's really no point to something like that. If I had a k-mount to q-mount adapter, my legacy k-mount 75-205mm lens would act like a 349-954mm lens on the film camera I used it on ... get an even longer k-mount lens and receive even more telephoto. Yes, I would have to use manual focusing (the lens never provided autofocus in the first place), but that would be a minor cost.
11-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian

But I think that exactly is the point - to sell new, native lenses rather than get people to adapt older ones. Its money for Pentax. It could be a relatively simple design, with small image circle. Oh well. I am still waiting on the macro telephoto
11-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #12
Pentaxian

But I think that exactly is the point - to sell new, native lenses rather than get people to adapt older ones. Its money for Pentax. It could be a relatively simple design, with small image circle. Oh well. I am still waiting on the macro telephoto
The problem I see is that the Q has relatively unique optics (and including a shutter would make it even more complex), so it might be difficult to use expected income (only so many users would buy the lens) to justify development costs.
11-25-2014, 01:42 AM   #13

Original Poster
I cant believe creating a superzoom would be all that hard, 50-200 and 70-300 lenses are cheap to produce, and although they will have to shrink it, people will be forgiving of the size because of the zoom range.
I am sure people would buy it, the Q system isn't exactly overflowing with lenses.

I would also be happy if Sigma released their 60mm F2.8 with a Q mount!
11-26-2014, 08:15 AM   #14
Pentaxian

In searching Amazon I discovered that they carry a Q-mount listed as 420-1600mm f/8 by Opteka. The listing wasn't very informative - I believe it does include a doubler (but even then the basic lens would go out to 800mm). Presumably it doesn't include a physical shutter, so you'd be using the electronic shutter only. I found it while wandering around yesterday, and then they pushed an ad to me today - the pre-black-Friday sale price in today's pushed ad was something like $270.
11-30-2014, 07:21 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In searching Amazon I discovered that they carry a Q-mount listed as 420-1600mm f/8 by Opteka. The listing wasn't very informative - I believe it does include a doubler (but even then the basic lens would go out to 800mm). Presumably it doesn't include a physical shutter, so you'd be using the electronic shutter only. I found it while wandering around yesterday, and then they pushed an ad to me today - the pre-black-Friday sale price in today's pushed ad was something like $270.
Very likely the same one that's been around for years, this time with a T2 to Q adapter. It's f/8 at 420mm, but f/16 at 800mm, so f/32 with the doubler. It's not going to be usable on the Q. (Plus it has a reputation for being crap.)