Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2014, 06:40 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Finally Replaced The Q I Sold

Last year I sold my Q and lenses to help fund a micro four thirds kit. I convinced myself that the new camera would replace my Q. I have never missed a camera so much! Even though the Olympus is technically superior, it does not share the charm of the Q.

I finally bought a Q7 with 02 zoom and then found an 01 lens on fleabay. The camera is new and the lens is like new (not received yet). Its been a long time since I've been this excited over new gear!

Lee

11-28-2014, 06:47 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Quirky Quote
Last year I sold my Q and lenses to help fund a micro four thirds kit. I convinced myself that the new camera would replace my Q. I have never missed a camera so much! Even though the Olympus is technically superior, it does not share the charm of the Q.

I finally bought a Q7 with 02 zoom and then found an 01 lens on fleabay. The camera is new and the lens is like new (not received yet). Its been a long time since I've been this excited over new gear!

Lee
Great story. I did something similar. Coming back to the Q7 is an added bonus since it is a significant improvement over the original, very lovable Q. Welcome back!!
11-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It's hard not to love the Q - the controls are well thought out and seem to be in the right place. Just lets me shoot without having to think through the gear so much. And though other camera systems are small, the Q just takes it to another level - enough so where carrying it around is easy and it doesn't seem to get in the way. If you ever get the 06 and 08, it is such a complete kit in terms of focal lengths. I really love the Q system and would not think of getting rid of it anytime soon. Hope you enjoy it when your arrives!
11-28-2014, 11:42 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I, too, have a m4/3 camera (Olympus E-P1). In theory it should be better than the Q - dual control wheels, bigger controls, bigger sensor (and bigger body of course), but in actual use it really isn't. Very disappointed, but at least it was cheap. These days I pretty much only use it when I want to use one of my K mount lenses with tilt.

11-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Could those or you who have been disappointed with 4/3 compared to Q give some more details or examples? Thanks.
11-28-2014, 03:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I also have been tempted to go to the dark side M4/3 that is but just enjoy the Q too much. Still looking for more lenses to adapt
11-28-2014, 06:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Glad everyone is moving back to the Q. I have a bunch of 4/3 and 1 micro 4/3. They just are not as fun to shoot. The menus are not as logical. The conrols are not as natural. Olympus never recovered from the loss of Maitani.
Q is the real deal. Some times I wonder if Pentax knows how right they got it?
thanks
barondla

Q is the one.
11-28-2014, 06:50 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, the Pentax web store has the Q7+02 for $199. Pretty good deal!

11-28-2014, 08:18 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Could those or you who have been disappointed with 4/3 compared to Q give some more details or examples? Thanks.
Well, my disappointment is with a specific camera (the E-P1) and not the system, but sure. While the problem is really that I just never managed to like the camera I can give some specific examples of what sucked:
  • The second control wheel is unusable: It's a Canon style rotating disk, and unlike Canon it's also the four way controller (clickable in four positions). It's complete rubbish, spins when you don't want it to, clicks when you try to spin it. I had to disable the spin function.
  • Zooming live view is stupidly inconvenient: Press info many (many!) times until you are in the zoom mode, and you can select an area with the four way controller and zoom with ok. The problem is not just that you pressed info many times to get here, now you can't do anything else (like adjust ISO or so), because that was the four way controller too. Swear, and then press info again.
  • Shake reduction focal length for adapted lenses is buried somewhere deep in menus. Always takes me an age to find it, if I even remember that I need to. I also don't get the selected FL in the EXIF data. (Or technically it's there in an Olympus makernote, but not in the normal FL field.)
  • The camera looks quite small, but it's all a trick. It's huge, and heavy.

And no doubt a million other little annoyances that I forgot about. It's just not a nice camera. (Even Canon does better user interfaces, and I say that even though I'm continually perplexed by my 5D.)
11-29-2014, 06:57 PM   #10

I've used Olympus cameras in the past. Mut admit I always found their menus confusing. Glad it's not just me. Their microscopes are pretty good though.
11-29-2014, 07:54 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I ave the Olympus EPL1. Thankfully no rotating 4 way controller, but the menus are rough to navigate. Lots of dead ends. Thought I wanted the add on evf. It is a pain half the time. Flip it on to compose, shot shot. Can't review pic on evf. Have to switch to screen. Then back to compose nextt shot. It drives you nuts.
11-30-2014, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #12
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I really enjoy shooting with Olympus m43 cameras. As noted earlier, the menus are pretty bad but the cameras and image quality are excellent. My statement was intended more as a compliment to Pentax for the Q than a complaint about Olympus.

The Q is a special camera that liberates me while taking pictures. I don't fret over the rule of thirds and level horizons. I just shoot what I feel and enjoy the moment, event, and people I'm with. I've never owned another camera that inspires this behavior or feeling. The Q is just a special camera that blends into my life without being intrusive.

Lee