Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-30-2014, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sometimes this board reminds me of the movie Ground Hog.Day. How many times we going to beat that view finder thing to death?
Let it go already. The Q does not have one so move on.

11-30-2014, 09:15 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Did anyone saw a deal on the Q - K adapter (Genuine ?)

---------- Post added 2014-11-30 at 23:31 ----------

Also note that you can choose different colors from the Pentax Store Q menu
11-30-2014, 09:49 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
Sometimes this board reminds me of the movie Ground Hog.Day. How many times we going to beat that view finder thing to death?
Let it go already. The Q does not have one so move on.
I have been serious in photography for over 40 years. I am not a pro, not an artist, but I am reasonably good at what I do. It took me a number of years to become whatever it is that I am, but by now I know how to be it. For some of those years, I used Pentax SLRs; in recent years I have been using Canon, but I am looking at partially coming back to Pentax; the current sale on the Q7 is very tempting. However, the lack of a viewfinder is a problem for me. I understand that the Q does not currently have a viewfinder, and if they released a new one with an EVF, their past policies mean that most likely their initial price would be more than I would want to pay, so I have been looking for a way to get the current Q7 to work for me. I am sorry that bothers you.
12-01-2014, 12:17 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just too bad I can't place any order in the Pentax Store, as it doesn,t accept any Canadian billing addresses for Crerdit Card, not it would accept a Canadian Paypal Accoutn, (I have a US shipping address I can choose)
very disappointed !
When you chat with them, you can even get free shipping promo code btw!

12-01-2014, 01:40 AM   #20

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input. Seems as if those of you who are encouraging me to go "Q" think that I should just get the basic kit with the 02 lens rather than the 02 and 06 lens kit. The 06 does bring more telephoto and the 2.8 across the zoom range. Sells separately for @249-299 new, maybe find it for less used but seems that it's a money saver to just get it w/ the kit. Hmmmm?? As for the lack of a viewfinder I've been dealing w/ that with my K-01 and the only time I have a problem is when it's very bright outside. However, I just line up the camera taking my best guess, take the photo and more often than not it comes out fine. I would prefer a viewfinder but the lack of one does not affect the quality of the photos.

---------- Post added 12-01-14 at 12:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Did anyone saw a deal on the Q - K adapter (Genuine ?)

---------- Post added 2014-11-30 at 23:31 ----------

Also note that you can choose different colors from the Pentax Store Q menu
Don't see the color configurator on the U.S. site and the color combos that are offered other than the yellow one and the red one are more money.

---------- Post added 12-01-14 at 12:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
If you do get a Q then play around with it as-is. Don't go crazy buying extra lenses or adapters. The 02 lens is surprisingly good. Just be sure to shoot at its sharpest, which is wide open. Shoot RAW. Nudge the sharpness, contrast, vibrancy, and saturation sliders together just a bit. The image will bloom before your eyes. You can probably set all of this in the camera and get a nice 8-bit per color channel JPG. I prefer saving all the data, 12-bits per color channel. Decimate it later.
6BQ5...Thanks for the tips. I don't mind a challenge and would be willing to take a chance with the camera. I was amazed at the quality of some of the photos I saw. I didn't expect that.
12-01-2014, 05:21 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iamwhoiam Quote
Thanks for all the input. Seems as if those of you who are encouraging me to go "Q" think that I should just get the basic kit with the 02 lens rather than the 02 and 06 lens kit. The 06 does bring more telephoto and the 2.8 across the zoom range. Sells separately for @249-299 new, maybe find it for less used but seems that it's a money saver to just get it w/ the kit. Hmmmm?? As for the lack of a viewfinder I've been dealing w/ that with my K-01 and the only time I have a problem is when it's very bright outside. However, I just line up the camera taking my best guess, take the photo and more often than not it comes out fine. I would prefer a viewfinder but the lack of one does not affect the quality of the photos.

---------- Post added 12-01-14 at 12:40 AM ----------

Don't see the color configurator on the U.S. site and the color combos that are offered other than the yellow one and the red one are more money.

---------- Post added 12-01-14 at 12:43 AM ----------

6BQ5...Thanks for the tips. I don't mind a challenge and would be willing to take a chance with the camera. I was amazed at the quality of some of the photos I saw. I didn't expect that.
I do not recall the price on the two lens kit but if it is less than $200 more than the one lens kit you should consider it. The 06 is without doubt my most used lens on the Q. the new 08 is giving it a run but I think the 06 will stay on top. It you plan to use the camera for any kind of distant work the 06 is not only essential but is just a fine lens. 01 is hard to find but is probably the best over all IQ. You can sometimes pick them up used for ca$150. But that can wait.
12-01-2014, 10:04 AM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I do not recall the price on the two lens kit but if it is less than $200 more than the one lens kit you should consider it. The 06 is without doubt my most used lens on the Q. the new 08 is giving it a run but I think the 06 will stay on top. It you plan to use the camera for any kind of distant work the 06 is not only essential but is just a fine lens. 01 is hard to find but is probably the best over all IQ. You can sometimes pick them up used for ca$150. But that can wait.
It's exactly $200 more...$399 as opposed to $199 for the 02 only kit.

12-01-2014, 10:12 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by iamwhoiam Quote
It's exactly $200 more...$399 as opposed to $199 for the 02 only kit.
If you are just checking out the Q system and are not sure you will stay it would probably be best to go with the $199 kit. You should be able to find a used 06 for $200 or less later, if you decide to keep the system. On the other hand $200 for a new 06 is a very good price. You will almost certainly be happy in either case.
12-01-2014, 03:45 PM   #24

Original Poster
Appreciate everyone's guidance but looks like I waited too long and the sale is over. Maybe they will offer the Q7 kit again some time in the future at a reduced price. I was shopping online for my birds (cyber Monday bird store sales) and wound up spending money on them and no new camera for me.