Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
In order to carry the Q in a sports jacket pocket--the 02 is too large. Either the 01 or the 04 (wide) allow it. I use the 04 taped to yield infinity to about 4 feet to be in focus. Or the 01 and set the focus w/ the green button. I think my preference is the 04 wide (but I really like equivalent 35mm FL)--unless you are shooting at night/in doors--where the speed of the 01 wins.

Incidentally both my 04 lenses seemed best (if you want 4 feet to infinity in focus) if the focus is set at the 2nd left most mark (and it changes a lot with a small movement).

Oh--nothing about the 04 images suggest a "toy lens."
I want to be sure I understand correctly.
The 04 lens is wider (6.3mm) but slower (f/7.1) - and you feel that the image quality is OK
The 01 lens is less wide (8.5mm) but faster (f/1.9) - and image quality is better

From the pictures, the 04 lens appears to be longer physically.
Is that true?

12-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #32
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes to all except the 04 and 01 seem to be about same in length--and the 04 is quite a bit less in diameter,
Also the 04 has quite a bit more distortion--but they both have so much that you need to correct for it.
01 has more resolution and is coated so less flare--nevertheless for moderate size prints they are (effectively) similar.
12-21-2014, 03:02 PM   #33

Original Poster
I'd be amazed if they're completely uncoated?

It may not be a full SMC coating but there must be something, surely? The only Toy Lens I have so far is the 07, I've not been able to check as the front element is too tiny and deep-sunk to do the "hold it up to the light at an angle" trick.

I should be opening the fisheye and the telephoto on the 25th, assuming Santa's courier service is keeping up with delivery dates!