Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2014, 08:04 AM   #1

Does the 02 zoom make the 04 Wide superfluous?

Just wondering if anyone has both of these, and do they find that there's anything the 04 lens can do that the 02 lens can't? Other than "be smaller"!

I'm definitely after the Fisheye and the Telephoto but the Wide seems to be a bit lost really, the standard zoom covers the same range and has AF along with a mechanical shutter. However, I sometimes see ex-demo ones for sale from a very reputable dealer for not a lot of money, so if I don't ask I'll always wonder.

12-01-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
02 Standard Zoom 5-15mm F2.8-4.5 >> Mount Zoom Lenses
vs.

04 Toy Lens Wide 6.3mm F7.1 >> Q-Mount Prime Lenses

Unless the smaller size or cost is a critical factor for you the 02 would most certainly suffice.

Last edited by pacerr; 12-01-2014 at 10:27 AM.
12-01-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I think the intended appeal and purpose of the 04 is its 'toy' effect. I don't own the 04 so can't vouch
for its uniqueness in that respect.

That said, if Pentax ever released a fast wide prime for the Q in the 5-7mm, I would be interested in it.
I rarely ever use the the 02 because it makes the Q too big to be easily pocketable.
12-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I think the intended appeal and purpose of the 04 is its 'toy' effect. I don't own the 04 so can't vouch
for its uniqueness in that respect.

That said, if Pentax ever released a fast wide prime for the Q in the 5-7mm, I would be interested in it.
I rarely ever use the the 02 because it makes the Q too big to be easily pocketable.
So what lens do you use to make the Q "pocketable"?

12-01-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
A lens cap.
12-01-2014, 10:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Primarily the 01. I also have the 03 but haven't yet found a love for it. Focus throw is way to short
and the screen resolution, (with my eyes), makes it difficult to focus in all but the best light
conditions.

I also use a number of D-mount and C-mount lenses which are small enough to keep the
camera small enough to pocket without creating an overly large "T" shape.

---------- Post added 12-01-2014 at 11:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
A lens cap.
Indeed! I have also made a pinhole lens cap which is the ultimate pocketable combination.
12-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
nostalgic image similar to photographs taken through a traditional toy camera. It is perfect for photographers looking for a toy camera effect, without having to simulate it in post-production.
If you're not looking for a toy effect, then the 08, 02, and 06 cover the 35mm equivalent of about 21-252mm on a Q/Q10 and 18-211 on Q7/Qs1.
The fisheye fills in the rest of the wide end. The K adapter easily covers more telephoto than anyone is likely to need (1680mm equivalent on the Q/Q10 with a 300mm lens, which is just about perfect for shooting the moon with some sky around it for context; throw a teleconverter on it and you can get the frame basically filled completely with moon).

And wow, was that off topic. Sorry. Goofing off at work seems to send me off on tangents.

---------- Post added 12-01-14 at 01:22 PM ----------

There was a thread on this from someone a couple weeks ago.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/276931-can-q-series-consider...le-camera.html

I've carried the Q with the 01 and 02 and 03 lenses in the pockets of my cargo shorts, winter coat, suit jacket, and one pair of jeans (my wife teases me about my "photography jeans" - they're custom jeans from Makeyourownjeans.com, Custom Jeans | Designer Jeans -- I picked the heaviest fabric that had added lycra for stretchiness (which still feels weird since I'm male and usually only women's jeans use stretch denim), and added the $10 gusset option that reinforces the groin -- I always make sure to wear those when I'm expecting to photograph flowers, pets or kids, and as an added benefit, they have roomy pockets and since they stretch I don't have to worry about them damaging my camera as long as I don't have my keys or phone in the same pocket. I ordered them after I crouched down to photograph... I forget if it was a kid or a flower, but it was at the zoo and there were kids around... and the jeans I was wearing tore right down the center seam.).

I still want to try a pinhole lens cap for it. Just... not the expensive one Pentax sells.
12-01-2014, 01:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't own the 04 or 05 lens but I seriously investigated it. Thankfully there were plenty of image samples to look at online. Their appeal is not in the focal length but in the lens design itself that renders a "toy" or "lo-fi" look to your images. This style does not appeal to me so I passed on them. If I really wanted that kind of effect I think I would pursue it in digital post processing first with the tools I already have. I'll add that I am willing to change my opinion of these lenses if the prices changes first. If these lenses were $15-$25 then I would pick them up just for grins even if they end up sitting on my shelf more than being mounted on my Q.

On a tangent I will say that the 03 lens is unique and offers something special. Center the horizon with the center of the frame and you can negate a lot of the perceived distortion. You can achieve super wide angle shots like this. My only gripe is the fully manual focus.

12-01-2014, 01:30 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Indeed! I have also made a pinhole lens cap which is the ultimate pocketable combination.
Would that be a body cap you're talking about? A lens cap needs a 'lens' on the camera first
12-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Duh! Noted.
12-01-2014, 03:41 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Would that be a body cap you're talking about? A lens cap needs a 'lens' on the camera first
A body cap it is. Thanks for the correction, obviously I wasn't paying attention.
12-02-2014, 05:34 AM   #12

The q7 with 08 has been in my pocket non stop for 4 days on a holiday to Nuremberg. Took other lenses but never got past the 08

J
12-02-2014, 08:47 AM   #13

Original Poster
I should be able to report on the "Mount Shield Lens" before too long, as I think mine may finally be on its way!

I too would love to see an AF prime which was equivalent to something around the 35mm-40mm mark. Maybe have it equivalent to 40mm on a Q/Q10 as that way you'd get a wider field of view on the Q7/Q-S1?

The images I've seen from the "toy" lenses suggest that they're not as soft and lo-fi as the name suggests. I'm certainly thinking the 05 lens could be excellent for street photography, and the fisheye looks like a good way of trying it out without spending huge amounts of money on a K-mount fisheye lens.
12-02-2014, 09:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I owned the 04 and 05 for a while but found I preferred the auto focus of the 02 and 06 so never took them out.

The only toy lens I have is the 03 which should be in every Q owners list.
Focus peaking helps with this lens.

A member here made some 3d printed focus lock attachments and being able to click the focus and have it stay there is very convenient.
12-03-2014, 06:29 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Dangermouse Quote
Just wondering if anyone has both of these, and do they find that there's anything the 04 lens can do that the 02 lens can't? Other than "be smaller"!

I'm definitely after the Fisheye and the Telephoto but the Wide seems to be a bit lost really, the standard zoom covers the same range and has AF along with a mechanical shutter. However, I sometimes see ex-demo ones for sale from a very reputable dealer for not a lot of money, so if I don't ask I'll always wonder.
The 04 seems to let you focus a lot closer, and is ok for sharpness as far as I can tell.