Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #16
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yup. I guess everyone else got the memo... except pentax.

12-01-2014, 09:49 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The Pentax Webstore was very tempting and it met my $199.99 price threshold but there are just too many customer service issues with that site. I couldn't bring myself to do it. Sites like woot.com, newegg.com, and buydig.com will be blowing these kits out soon too. It's just a matter of time. If not them then someone on Amazon. If not Amazon then someone on eBay. If not on eBay then ... well, you know what I mean. No matter what it will be someone with better customer service.

Last edited by 6BQ5; 12-01-2014 at 10:19 PM.
12-01-2014, 10:17 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I do not know about the other sites you mention however I have had experience with Buydig.com through their Ebay site and it was not a pleasant experience. As it turns out they were selling camera’s, specifically Pentax Q10’s that they did not have in stock. According to some of the feedback on Ebay that I read at the time of that transaction (July 2014) they have a tendency of doing that. They finally did refund my money but after I missed other opportunities. I have been buying and selling on Ebay since 1999 and that was the first time I ever had a problem with a seller. By the way while they sell under the global name of Buydig, apparently they also sell on Ebay under other names and when you try and contact the company they redirect you to Buydig.
12-02-2014, 06:56 AM   #19
Site Supporter

A number of companies are having longer events that go under names such as "Cyberweek" and "Cyber Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday", but they seem to issue a new list of deals each day. At least I think they are new lists; when I got emails this morning from Nikon, BestBuy, Amazon, etc, I trashed them after not seeing the word Pentax anywhere (no, I did not search through the Nikon ad).

12-02-2014, 10:10 AM   #20
Site Supporter

BTW - After exchanging emails with the guy at Clearviewer, I was basically convinced that one of his devices plus a baseball cap would probably enable a Q7 to meet my needs ... but by then the sale was over. I would be very surprised if we see prices like that before next summer (assuming that another model is released next August).
12-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe the Pentax Webstore sold out their stock of merchandise, so they closed the deal rather than endure the complaints* of other people who would have been Backordered (if they even could ahve gotten the merchandise from Ricoh).

*See the other thread about Backorders.
12-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #22
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
The Pentax Webstore was very tempting and it met my $199.99 price threshold but there are just too many customer service issues with that site. I couldn't bring myself to do it. Sites like woot.com, newegg.com, and buydig.com will be blowing these kits out soon too.
I guess I'll have to take your word for these being good places to buy a camera. I followed your links, and both woot.com and newegg.com were so chaotic that I had no idea how to buy a camera there, and my only thought was to get out of there before I was permanently stuck there ... I guess I kind of thought I had followed Alice into Wonderland or Dorothy into Oz.

BTW - based on past Pentax practice, can we expect them to discontinue the Q7 when the next variation is released (next August, perhaps)?
12-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
BTW - After exchanging emails with the guy at Clearviewer, I was basically convinced that one of his devices plus a baseball cap would probably enable a Q7 to meet my needs ... but by then the sale was over. I would be very surprised if we see prices like that before next summer (assuming that another model is released next August).
I find that Clearview and a hat works great for me, just watch you don't fry your LCD like I did.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/268824-cooked-my-q7-lcd.html#post2887285

I purchased my last Q7 from an E Bay store new with out problems about a month ago to replace the one above, didn't quite get a $199 deal but close, most credit cards have purchase protection plans in case you run across a poor seller so why not use E Bay

12-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
I find that Clearview and a hat works great for me, just watch you don't fry your LCD like I did.
Are you using the standard lens rather than the premium one?
I was wondering whether the standard one gives an adequate view of corners, or whether I should spring for the extra $22.

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
I purchased my last Q7 from an E Bay store new with out problems about a month ago to replace the one above, didn't quite get a $199 deal but close, most credit cards have purchase protection plans in case you run across a poor seller so why not use E Bay
Oh, I've been looking at eBay.
I'm a methodical, deliberate buyer, and part of my strategy is to look now, when I don't have to make a purchase. I could easily stretch this out until next summer.
12-02-2014, 03:54 PM   #25
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Maybe the Pentax Webstore sold out their stock of merchandise, so they closed the deal rather than endure the complaints* of other people who would have been Backordered
Some items were already backordered to begin with
12-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not to hijack this thread but since we are talking about Pentax sales etc, any of you who have ordered from the Pentax WEB site may know the answer to this. They emailed us order confirmation numbers for the Q7's we ordered. Do they email us tracking information once the item is shipped or do we have to go to their WEB site to track it? How do we know when the items are shipped?

Someone mentioned that they were back ordered on some items. How do we know what items were back ordered?
12-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Are you using the standard lens rather than the premium one?
I was wondering whether the standard one gives an adequate view of corners, or whether I should spring for the extra $22.

Oh, I've been looking at eBay.
I'm a methodical, deliberate buyer, and part of my strategy is to look now, when I don't have to make a purchase. I could easily stretch this out until next summer.
My Clearviewer uses the premium lens. I like it a lot but I cannot compare it to the regular lens. Do not expect same view you get with the plain LCD but I find it completely acceptable for the way I shoot which is outdoors, on the move, often using the far end of the 06. It works well with the 01 and the 08 but is not as critical with these.
12-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
Not to hijack this thread but since we are talking about Pentax sales etc, any of you who have ordered from the Pentax WEB site may know the answer to this. They emailed us order confirmation numbers for the Q7's we ordered. Do they email us tracking information once the item is shipped or do we have to go to their WEB site to track it? How do we know when the items are shipped?

Someone mentioned that they were back ordered on some items. How do we know what items were back ordered?
I placed my order through the Ricoh/Pentax website yesterday morning. My first choice, black+silver Q7 with 02 lens, was on back-order so I changed to the all black model. I noticed the back-order when I tried to use PayPal and found that is not allowed for a back-order item. I have my fingers crossed that there are no problems filling/shipping the order.
12-02-2014, 05:59 PM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bencason Quote
I placed my order through the Ricoh/Pentax website yesterday morning. My first choice, black+silver Q7 with 02 lens, was on back-order so I changed to the all black model. I noticed the back-order when I tried to use PayPal and found that is not allowed for a back-order item. I have my fingers crossed that there are no problems filling/shipping the order.
Most places I normally deal with tell you when you're looking at the choices which are in stock and which are not.
12-02-2014, 07:49 PM   #30
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
How do we know what items were back ordered
it says "backordered" on the page before you click buy... at least it did for the lenses. It said "backordered - ships in 10 days"