Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by sapporodan Quote
Its just a Q7 in a uncomfortable body.
The only extra is autofocus in video mode, but that’s just a firmware update that Ricoh are too cheap to add to the Q7
I think it would be deliberate for the most part. Unless there is a hardware limitation keeping them from adding this feature they may be doing this to distinguish the Q-S1 from the Q7. Remember how Apple "forced" people to upgrade their iPhones in order to run Maps? They claimed older phones weren't capable enough. I don't think that was true. Google Maps ran just fine before it seems. To Apple's defense, retiring old hardware means there's one less product to maintain documentation and support for internally.

12-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
To Apple's defense, . . .
Least we forget, all these wonderful technological advances are attributed to a profit motive, not altruism. If a "cosmetic" upgrade helps fund the next real advance, let us allow those so inclined to buy into the 'bling' to help pay the cost of developing useful future advances.
12-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #18

It's a shame as Ricoh had a good reputation for supporting cameras with firmware, I suppose the Q has changed so little they really need to drip feed the updates to keep it fresh.
12-10-2014, 08:31 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I went mad and bought the demo Q10 For £69, should come any day now, I also ordered a PK to Q adapter from someplace in the states,just hope it doesn't get bogged down in customs.

Has anybody used a C mount lens and if so what to look out for when buying, do they have the same aperture control etc and is there a difference with those meant for CCTV rather than Movies.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards

CD

12-10-2014, 08:54 AM   #20

I've resisted the urge to try C or D mount lenses as the reviews I've seen aren't great.

I will, however, be looking for a C mount adapter and a C mount telescope adapter. The Q10 is small enough to fit to my little Celestron Firstscope Dobsonian without overbalancing it, and the resulting combination would be small and light enough to put in the car and take to a location near me which is currently going through the paperwork to be an official "dark skies reserve".
12-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
Has anybody used a C mount lens and if so what to look out for when buying, do they have the same aperture control etc and is there a difference with those meant for CCTV rather than Movies.
I've got a 25mm f/1.4 C-mount (probably the most common you'll find), which goes for about 15-20 pounds or 20-25 dollars. It's much better than you'd expect for the price - corner sharpness doesn't really exist, but that adds character to images as long as you use it for suitable subjects. It gives good shallow depth of field despite the Q series' small sensor - I usually shoot it at or close to wide open.

I took the following using it, both on my old Q10 (I've since upgraded to a Q7)

Charlotte Campbell Busking
by Neil Gratton, on Flickr

Cabo de Peñas
by Neil Gratton, on Flickr
12-10-2014, 09:47 AM   #22

Those are better than I expected!

Is there any specific brand name to look for with the 25mm?

12-10-2014, 12:06 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've been looking at the Cosmicar 8.5mm F1.5, seems to come up fairly frequently on e-bay, I think it's made by Pentax, as a cheap-oh substitute for the 01 Prime, as the widest Pentax lens I have with manual aperture settings is the M28 which is around 158mm on the Q and I'd Like something more like a 50mm as a walk around.

The thing that puzzles me is that there seems to be a number of movie mounts - Camflex and Arriflex for instance - which I can't figure out if they are C mount themselves or something else altogether. Both these camera brands have some really nice lenses, ie expensive, made by the likes of Angenieux and Schneider.

Regards CD
12-11-2014, 02:36 AM   #24

Mine's unbranded - it's identical to this one CCTV 25mm f/1.4 C Mount TV Camera Lens + Micro M43 M4: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo though I bought it without an adapter
12-12-2014, 12:49 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dangermouse Quote
Those are better than I expected!

Is there any specific brand name to look for with the 25mm?
He got a good copy. Quality control on these lenses probably doesn't exist at all. My copy is basically useless. If I unscrew the front element and leave it pushed in place (so still there, but further away) it's somewhat acceptable. Mine is branded CAMDIOX, but I doubt that matters.

My copy of the big brother 35/1.7 is decent (branded FUJIAN), but with a pretty bad aperture diaphragm. (Even worse on the 25mm actually.) Others have the same lens with a nice diaphragm (obviously a different model, but probably the same optics, and same outer body).

And then there are old high quality C mounts that are excelent. (My 25/1.4 SWITAR is lovely.) But they usually aren't cheap.
12-21-2014, 03:02 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I have my Q10 and Kiwi adapter but it's been very overcast and raining pretty solidly since it arrived so no chance to test it. This morning looks slightly more promising so maybe I'll get a chance to give it a go, if I'm not dragged off to the shops AGAIN

CD
12-21-2014, 06:21 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
Well I have my Q10 and Kiwi adapter but it's been very overcast and raining pretty solidly since it arrived so no chance to test it. This morning looks slightly more promising so maybe I'll get a chance to give it a go, if I'm not dragged off to the shops AGAIN

CD
I feel your pain. Good luck.
12-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
He got a good copy. Quality control on these lenses probably doesn't exist at all. My copy is basically useless. If I unscrew the front element and leave it pushed in place (so still there, but further away) it's somewhat acceptable. Mine is branded CAMDIOX, but I doubt that matters.

My copy of the big brother 35/1.7 is decent (branded FUJIAN), but with a pretty bad aperture diaphragm. (Even worse on the 25mm actually.) Others have the same lens with a nice diaphragm (obviously a different model, but probably the same optics, and same outer body).

And then there are old high quality C mounts that are excelent. (My 25/1.4 SWITAR is lovely.) But they usually aren't cheap.
That sounds like the problem with an old M42 mount "Hanimex" 28mm f2.8 I have (made by Tokina). I've read that its hopeless softness is caused by needing to screw something in properly, but I have no idea what!
12-22-2014, 09:53 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NeilGratton Quote
Mine's unbranded - it's identical to this one CCTV 25mm f/1.4 C Mount TV Camera Lens + Micro M43 M4: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo though I bought it without an adapter
We may be talking about two different lenses.

I bought the following one, partly for fun and partly because my 01 lens is literally on a slow boat from Japan,
Cosmicar Television Lens 8 5mm 1 5 C Mount Holiday Weekend Pricing | eBay

It arrived on Saturday, so I don't have any actual experience in using it, but it feels solidly built. When I "play" with it indoors (we are sitting under a large rain cloud right now - which is much better than our usual snow cloud) I have been able to focus it very easily.