Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Q10 or Q-S1

It seems that the Q7 has vanished off the face of the earth around here so I'm left with a choice between a special offer Q10 body at £79 or the Q-S1 body at £279.

I know the Q7 / Q-S1 have the improved sensor etc over the Q10 but £200 $314 €252 is a big difference and I am wondering if it is worth it.

I also believe in Murphy's Law which says that if I buy the Q-S1 today the Q-S2 or whatever will be announced tomorrow with a built in viewfinder and upgraded this, that and the other so I'm inclined to go for the Q10 but am wondering if there is a snag I haven't spotted.

I am looking at a Q for it's small size low weight and long lens capability, I was thinking of using it with an M150 or M200 for wild life - birds mostly - as I really don't want to spend all day wandering around weighed down with a K7 and a 500mm etc etc which would be the approximate equivalent.

Advice appreciated

CD

12-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For that price I'd go for the Q10. There are some features that have apparently been deleted fromthe QS1 and the sensor, for me, is not worth $300+ more. Good luck.
12-03-2014, 06:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote
It seems that the Q7 has vanished off the face of the earth around here so I'm left with a choice between a special offer Q10 body at £79 or the Q-S1 body at £279.

I know the Q7 / Q-S1 have the improved sensor etc over the Q10 but £200 $314 €252 is a big difference and I am wondering if it is worth it.

I also believe in Murphy's Law which says that if I buy the Q-S1 today the Q-S2 or whatever will be announced tomorrow with a built in viewfinder and upgraded this, that and the other so I'm inclined to go for the Q10 but am wondering if there is a snag I haven't spotted.

I am looking at a Q for it's small size low weight and long lens capability, I was thinking of using it with an M150 or M200 for wild life - birds mostly - as I really don't want to spend all day wandering around weighed down with a K7 and a 500mm etc etc which would be the approximate equivalent.

Advice appreciated
I'm a tad surprised that you can't get a Q7 via Amazon - but I have to admit ignorance as to how those company's methods have to vary based on national boundaries.

I have already decided not to intentionally wait for the Q-S1++. Based on recent history, the next Q would most likely be released next summer; I figure that its eventual price will be higher than the Q-S1's current price, and Pentax practice seems to be to start at a higher price, so we'd have to wait a year or so to get it at that eventual price, and I'm not sure that I want to wait that long (although I could, I don't have any particular pressure to buy anything right now).
12-03-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
For that price I'd go for the Q10. There are some features that have apparently been deleted fromthe QS1 and the sensor, for me, is not worth $300+ more. Good luck.
Agree. And everything else is a downgrade. Body construction in particular.
I still pull amazing images out of my original Q. Never seen a reason to upgrade.

12-04-2014, 03:32 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by PenPusher Quote

Advice appreciated

CD
Bet your looking at SRS website

A shame they were doing a deal of a Q10 plus the 5-15 + 15-45, and when you deduct the price of the lenses the Q10 cost £30! They might sill have some cameras on their eBay site, or if you contact them they might do you a deal.

I honestly don't think the difference in image quality between the Q10 and Q S-1 is big enough to justify paying that much extra for the new version, but the Q7/S-1 focal range for me is much better.
I disliked the focal range of both the 01 (50mm) & 02 (28mm-80mm) lenses on my original Q. But with my Q S-1 the 01 (40mm) & 02 (24mm-70mm) just feel so much more useful, and I use them a lot more now. For that alone its made the upgrade worth it.
12-04-2014, 08:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have to agree I like the wider view from the Q7 better than from my Q, but the reach of the Q is better, so I kept both. If your plan is wildlife then the Q10 would work for you
12-04-2014, 08:58 AM   #7

I'd go for the Q10 (I did). Move fast though as the only Q10s SRS still have listed on ebay are those with the pink grips, which you probably don't want! I'd imagine stocks of the black ones are probably very low if not depleted.

SRS were clearing the original Q for the same price a year or two ago, and I suspect remaining stock of the Q-S1 will probably go the same way eventually. Those of us who're not worried about having the latest camera bodies can do very well from this strategy!

12-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Dangermouse Quote
SRS were clearing the original Q for the same price a year or two ago, and I suspect remaining stock of the Q-S1 will probably go the same way eventually. Those of us who're not worried about having the latest camera bodies can do very well from this strategy!
Couldn't agree more, I picked up my original Q form SRS for £60! Unbelievable value for money
12-04-2014, 10:49 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all for your input, yes SRS is what can be considered my local camera shop for Pentax equipment, only 411 miles between airports which more or less explains why I shop on line.

I have a Ricoh CX1, 9Mp compact which has the same size sensor which I find quite satisfactory so the much newer Q10 with raw should be fine.

I had been wondering about getting the 1.4x converter but I have tried two cheapish 2x converters for my K7 and was not really happy with the operation and I have this feeling that in general they don't work that well so I think I'll settle for the Q.

Just wondering did you all rush out and buy the Pentax K to Q converter or did you settle for some particular brand X version, I don't do video so the Jelly roll effect is not a problem.

Kind regards,

CD
12-04-2014, 02:25 PM   #10

I may well buy the genuine adapter at some point as the mechanical shutter sounds worth the price. Only thing is that I only really have two lenses worth using on one, the DA* 50-135mm f2.8 and a K 120mm f2.8. I quite fancy using the latter for some astrophotography on the Q as it has a solid infinity stop, so should be very handy.

SRS are great. After-sales service without equal and prices are sensible too, often you end up picking one of those two but not in this case!
12-05-2014, 08:34 AM   #11

The Q7 (and presumably the Q-S1) have nicer image quality but, more significantly, are much, much faster to power on, autofocus and to shoot than the Q10 and Q. I would (and did) get a Q7 online; however my Q10 body is currently on auction on eBay UK so you could swipe that ... currently at £10.49 =)
12-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #12

SRS were advertising an ex-demo black Q10 body for £69 on their ebay shop about 10mins ago, if you move fast you may be lucky.
12-07-2014, 08:27 AM   #13

Do we have any more feedback on Q-S1 or is it just a Q7 with some additional body color options?
12-07-2014, 11:12 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zubati Kit Quote
Do we have any more feedback on Q-S1 or is it just a Q7 with some additional body color options?
The firmware has apparently deleted some funtionalty.
12-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Zubati Kit Quote
Its just a Q7 in a uncomfortable body.
The only extra is autofocus in video mode, but that’s just a firmware update that Ricoh are too cheap to add to the Q7