Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Speaking of grips for the Q-S1. Back in this thread I showed how I hold my Q7, which also worked for the &10 and Q when I owned them. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/277983-holding-q-reducing-lcd-glare.html
Saturday I finally got my hands on a Q-S1 and found that this hand hold does not work. Pentax/Roach had to mess with perfection and put that dumb knob in the way where the second finger of my right hand naturally falls. If you check out Blunty’s review of the Q-S1 he shows some funky grip that squeezes the Q-S1 between his finger tips. I really hope he was not suggesting that as a serious means of holding the camera while using it. Anyway my hands are a bit large and while the Q7 configuration fit my hands perfectly, the Q-S1 does not feel at all comfortable. The owner of the camera looked a bit disappointed when he tried my Q7 as he seemed to prefer that body style. PS, I had previously told him to get a Q7 but did he listen to me……. Noooooooooo!!

12-08-2014, 09:50 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
Speaking of grips for the Q-S1. Back in this thread I showed how I hold my Q7, which also worked for the &10 and Q when I owned them. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/277983-holding-q-reducing-lcd-glare.html
Saturday I finally got my hands on a Q-S1 and found that this hand hold does not work. Pentax/Roach had to mess with perfection and put that dumb knob in the way where the second finger of my right hand naturally falls. If you check out Blunty’s review of the Q-S1 he shows some funky grip that squeezes the Q-S1 between his finger tips. I really hope he was not suggesting that as a serious means of holding the camera while using it. Anyway my hands are a bit large and while the Q7 configuration fit my hands perfectly, the Q-S1 does not feel at all comfortable. The owner of the camera looked a bit disappointed when he tried my Q7 as he seemed to prefer that body style. PS, I had previously told him to get a Q7 but did he listen to me……. Noooooooooo!!
Years ago, when I took driver education, we were taught to hold the steering wheel by the outside of the rim, partly because you're sure that will always work (no, I don't always do it that way). I didn't buy into your grip for several reasons, one being that I needed a third hand free to focus and otherwise adjust a legacy lens, but another one being that my method of holding the camera with my right index finger on the shutter button, my right thumb supporting the bottom of the camera, and my left hand supporting a legacy lens or otherwise gripping somewhere, will work for any smallish camera (as far as I am aware). If Pentax decides not to provide an EVF for me, I'm now comfortable with using either a ClearViewer or Hoodman type of device to provide that shading ... so the only thing now between me and actually buying a Q7 or later is a price low enough to leave $$$ in my wallet to pay for the additional stuff (I reached my conclusion just as CyberMonday ended at the web store or I would have made the purchase a week ago).
12-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Up size for comfort

Another possibility? Scrounge around in your medium format closet. This grip intended for a Mamiya medium format body, which hadn't see daylight in 15 years, is so secure all controls can be easily manipulated with the right hand only. The DA* 300's quite comfy on it too.

It's a shame they don't still provide for the old fashioned mechanical cable release with a threaded shutter release button. I may try to add a bracket to the mount plate to position a cable release over the Q-body. It sure would be nice to trigger from the grip. It'd be even easier if there was provision for an electric remote cable as well as IR.

Note: I had to "delete" the positioning pins for the TLR on the mounting plate.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by pacerr; 12-08-2014 at 11:30 AM.
12-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pacerr Quote
Another possibility? Scrounge around in your medium format closet. This grip intended for a Mamiya medium format body, which hadn't see daylight in 15 years, is so secure all controls can be easily manipulated with the right hand only. The DA* 300's quite comfy on it too.

It's a shame they don't still provide for the old fashioned mechanical cable release with a threaded shutter release button. I may try to add a bracket to the mount plate to position a cable release over the Q-body. It sure would be nice to trigger from the grip.

Note: I had to "delete" the positioning pins for the TLR on the mounting plate.
I have a very similar grip designed to hold a flash above and to the side of the camera ... but it doesn't have a shutter button, of course. I guess someone could hold the grip in left hand, focus/adjust a legacy lens with right hand (that would feel really odd at first since I have done that with my left hand for 40+ years) and then move might right hand to the shutter button on the camera.

12-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Years ago, when I took driver education, we were taught to hold the steering wheel by the outside of the rim, partly because you're sure that will always work (no, I don't always do it that way).
You were taught that because it is the only way to assure that you have complete control of the steering mechanism. You can easily recover from a skid or other less than desirable situation with your hands positioned on the outside of the steering wheel. This is impossible to do when you have your hands on the inside of the steering wheel as some drivers do when negotiating a turn. Take any defensive driving course and this will be drilled into you. By the way, if you have your hands on the inside of the steering when when you hit something, it has been proven that as with cars that have manual steering, such as my former 57 Chevy or the truck I owned for a while, the steering wheel may spin in the opposite direction and break your wrist. Anyone who has driven at performance speeds or in high volume traffic where quick reactions are required knows the importance of hand positioning on the steering wheel. Others learn this lesson by accident.

I didn't buy into your grip for several reasons, one being that I needed a third hand free to focus and otherwise adjust a legacy lens,
AH!! There's the difference. Using a legacy lens. I have no such issues.

but another one being that my method of holding the camera with my right index finger on the shutter button, my right thumb supporting the bottom of the camera, and my left hand supporting a legacy lens or otherwise gripping somewhere, will work for any smallish camera (as far as I am aware). If Pentax decides not to provide an EVF for me,
That sounds a bit shaky for those of us of a certain age. Pentax/Roach does have an available EVF of sorts. It's called a K-5 or K-5IIs or K-7, depending on the size of your pocketbook, camera.

I'm now comfortable with using either a ClearViewer or Hoodman type of device to provide that shading ... so the only thing now between me and actually buying a Q7 or later is a price low enough to leave $$$ in my wallet to pay for the additional stuff (I reached my conclusion just as CyberMonday ended at the web store or I would have made the purchase a week ago).
Well, that was unfortunate timing however I am sure someone that suits your criteria will hold another sale. As I recall when I listed other options for buying a Q7 at a reasonable, near Black Friday price, you had specific requirements as to whom you would and would not purchase from.
12-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

(that would feel really odd at first since I have done that with my left hand for 40+ years)
40+? Me too, and it certainly does feel bas-ackwards at first but it doesn't take long to "re-train" once you get the feel of that big, smooth ol' grip in your left hand.