Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #1

Any chance of a Q S-1 grip accessory?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Well I like my Q S-1 but really find it an uncomfortable camera to hold!
How are other people finding it?

It got me thinking can't Pentax make a snap on accessory that just attaches around the button grip? I know space is limited but anything would help.

I know there are a few company's making custom grips for mirrorless cameras, I hope one of them takes up the challenge.

12-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe someone from the community can 3D print a grip, like they did for the K-01
I doubt Pentax will make one, since the Q series is meant to be as small as possible. Something slightly bigger would be a DSLR. K-50 and K-S1 are still very small (and the K-01 even more so)
12-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sapporodan Quote
Well I like my Q S-1 but really find it an uncomfortable camera to hold!
How are other people finding it?

It got me thinking can't Pentax make a snap on accessory that just attaches around the button grip? I know space is limited but anything would help.

I know there are a few company's making custom grips for mirrorless cameras, I hope one of them takes up the challenge.
I don't have a Q camera yet, but I do have a (very small) Canon Elph. I have to hold it differently from how I hold a more standard camera, but after playing with it for awhile I learned to hold it with my right finger on the shutter button and my right thumb under it, so I can take a picture by just squeezing down. I use a very similar method with my iPhone, which does have a button on the edge, so I'm hoping that something similar would work with a Q.
12-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You could always try Sugru if you want to build it up a bit.

Or get a hand grip strap.

12-04-2014, 12:45 PM   #5
owl
Forum Member

Get any of the "leather" form fitting camera cases, that probably increases the size just enough to improve handling, and it protects the camera as well. There are lots of them on eBay starting at around $12 shipped.

Last edited by owl; 12-04-2014 at 12:56 PM. Reason: complete the thought
12-04-2014, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Q7 had a perfect grip. I don't know why anyone thought that "button" thing was a design breakthrough.
12-04-2014, 02:20 PM   #7

It's a pity that you can't unscrew the button and use the hole to attach a more useful grip, like the old Super A and LX had.

Maybe polycaprolactone might be a solution?

12-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dangermouse Quote
Maybe polycaprolactone might be a solution?
Just don't leave it in your car on a hot day. It could reach its melting point.

Sugru won't let you build up sold mass like that will, but it can still give you a decent gripping point, and it handles a wider range of temperatures than you're likely to encounter.
12-05-2014, 03:57 AM   #9

Original Poster
Sounds silly, but I wonder if we could get a grip that attaches to the tripod mount like the one Fotodiox made for the Nikon V1?
Ok it will make the Q bigger but it would be easily detachable.

Fotodiox Pro, All Metal Black Camera Grip for Nikon 1: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

You know I might have to send them and email and ask.
12-05-2014, 08:31 AM   #10

That button on the Q-S1 was one of the two reasons I went for a Q7 instead (the other being the price difference). I haven't handled one but it looks uncomfortable; I've always been happy with the ergonomics of my Q10 and Q7.
12-05-2014, 09:26 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Just don't leave it in your car on a hot day. It could reach its melting point.
True, but you could use it to make a mould from plaster or silicone and cast a grip in something more robust once you were happy with the shape. Maybe try making a small batch and selling them?
12-05-2014, 09:28 AM   #12

Original Poster
I've noticed a gentleman called Richard Franiec makes good looking custom grips for cameras, does anyone have any experience with them?
12-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sapporodan Quote
I've noticed a gentleman called Richard Franiec makes good looking custom grips for cameras, does anyone have any experience with them?
I added one of Franiec's add-on grips to a canon s-95, which was a bar of soap without it. Nicely machined aluminium, goes on with double-sided tape. pricey but it improved handling of that particular cam. I seriously doubt that he will make one for the Q-S1.
12-06-2014, 07:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Just ran across this while looking for optech's black rapid clone. I've never seen anything like it before, and wonder if it might help for people wanting a better grip for the Q:

OP/TECH USA Finger Cuff QD
12-06-2014, 02:33 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
OP/TECH USA Finger Cuff QD

Easy enough to build one to try it for suitability for yourself from a length of cord -- or tie off a wrist strap from a P&S to fit a finger. I found that the intended place to attach it, the at the right-side neck strap attach fitting, didn't work for me. Regardless of which finger I chose to use it made access to the shutter button and the back controls way too awkward (or impossible) to be convenient. It does provide a somewhat secure feel if carrying is your only intent though.

However, you can try one of the sling attach plates that screw into the tripod socket as an alternative attach point. Tethered to your ring-finger it allows better camera control and security but still not a perfect solution.

eBay shows a little thumb rest do-hickey that inserts into the flash shoe that looks like a useful aid -- but it isn't, it's too short and there's no opposable surface for fingers.

There's just not enough gripping area in the right places on the Q bodies to make finger, wrist or thumb aids/straps feel useful to me.