Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2014, 04:05 AM   #1

Q S-1 high ISO when using internal flash problem

I've noticed there seems to be a problem on my Q-S1 when using the internal flash.

If I am taking a shot in low light and my camera is set to auto ISO (100-1600), I have noticed the camera uses an unnaturally high ISO setting.
For example, the camera was telling me I was at ISO 1000, I pop up the flash to take the shot, the ISO then shows AUTO, I then take the shot and for some reason the camera still keeps it at ISO 1000! My original Q does not do this it (like every other camera I have ever owned) it drops the ISO to compensate for the flash.

So I just wanted to check is this a problem on this camera or have I got a setting wrong?

Cheers,

Dan

12-08-2014, 05:22 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What mode is it in?
12-08-2014, 06:35 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michael Barker Quote
What mode is it in?
I tried in P and Av, and made sure the effect dial is set to off and tried the different flash modes with no luck!

It's strange, if reproduce exactly the same thing with my original Q but it drops the ISO!
12-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is probably exposing for the background. Although you don't seem to see that with your original Q, it is the kind of behavior I have seen with my DSLRs, both Pentax and Nikon.

12-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Does it work OK when you set ISO manually? I like to be in control of ISO most of the time; I say that is because ISO is so crucial to image quality, but some of that is probably an artifact of my having been a film photographer for a big majority of my life.
12-09-2014, 02:47 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spodeworld Quote
It is probably exposing for the background. Although you don't seem to see that with your original Q, it is the kind of behavior I have seen with my DSLRs, both Pentax and Nikon.
I've tried shooting the same subject with 3 cameras in the same position and the other cameras seemed fine!
It's strange.

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Does it work OK when you set ISO manually? I like to be in control of ISO most of the time; I say that is because ISO is so crucial to image quality, but some of that is probably an artifact of my having been a film photographer for a big majority of my life.
It seems to be OK when I set the ISO myself, but iv'e become too lazy and usually keep auto ISO

Just got a reply from someone on the Ricoh US community website. Very nice of them to reply so quickly.

"Greetings Dan. In auto mode, the Q-S1 automatically measures ambient light and selects an appropriate ISO for the situation. In weak or low-light situations a high ISO may result; as your camera may use the highest ISO in the selected range for the shortest exposures. Only if your camera is not properly exposing when using flash; you may wish to have it examined. Thanks!"

If I am the only one with this problem, it may well be a broken camera. I may be sending my Q-S1 back to Amazon. Tempted to get a refund and pick up a Q7 if I do (Still can't stand the feel of the Q-S1!).

Ill reset the camera and see if that fixes it.
12-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #7

Original Poster
Well I returned my Q S-1. I don't know it this weird ISO thing was a fault or a feature, but I was fed up with it thinking ISO 1600 is fine when my old Q is happy to use ISO 125!

I thought I would be sad, but I really could not get on with the feel of the body!
After using the Q S-1 for a while then going back to the original Q I was shocked how good the Q felt! It just moulds into my hand while the Q-S1 just stuck sharp points into it

I'll miss the wider focal ranges, but ill be picking up a Q7 at some point when I find a cheap one.

Dan