Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Unplanned benefit to the Q Series

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

As I have documented in other threads, I originally got involved with the Q series of camera’s to explore it’s depth of field capabilities when shooting images of model railroads. Some of those images can be found on my WEB site or in my albums. However, I have begun to include the Q7 on my daily out of house excursions. The bag on the left in this photo is my “small” bag for my K-5IIs with Sigma 18-125 lens. There is no room for additional lenses but with that focal range I have found no need for anything else. I do have larger bags which hold extra equipment for specific shoots. On the right is the Vivitar bag I procured for the Q series. I showed this bag in a separate discussion on cases. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/270190-cases.html Note that a 06 and rubber lens hood is stored in this bag below the camera which has the 02 lens and a polarizer mounted.

While I would not consider leaving the house for a trip on my bicycle with one of the K series cameras and even taking one on a around town motorcycle errand running trip is inconvenient, I often slip the Q7 bag onto my belt. In addition when my lady and I go out for the evening I often throw the Q7 into the car. It has come in handy several times when our “night out” with friends turned into the celebration of a memorable occasion. In other words as a result of it’s portability and unobtrusive size, this little camera has become more of a companion and witness recording my daily experiences than my larger K series cameras ever were. Another benefit to owning a Q series camera.

12-08-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a similar arrangement for my Q, although my bag is a wee bit bigger than yours (in my defense it was free). I find myself taking the Q on the off chance or when space is at a premium.

Are you sure its a
Vivitar VIV-DKS-5 and not a VIV-DKS-4? Can't find the 5 listed anywhere but there is a 4 listed by several sellers.
12-08-2014, 12:58 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
i am tempted by the q7, to have a camera with me all the time, although i still have to convince myself that the image quality is "enough".
i have read only superficially some reviews; please, tell us, does it have the same colours as the dslr's? i have a k5 i enjoy, i can even disregard the wb errors, but the magenta in the files drives me nuts. is it the same with the q7?
12-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have four small, semi-pocketable cameras, a Canon G12, A Nikon 1 J1, a Pentax Q, and a Canon EOS-M. With all but the G12 I have to make room for lenses or hoods or adapters or deal with a long-ish protruding lens. The G12 gets to go more places by virtue of its size, and image qualitywise it's almost equal to the Q, slightly behind the 1 J1, and quite outclassed by the EOS-M, which is only barely "small" in comparison to the others.

Everything in life is a tradeoff or compromise.

12-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dragunr1 Quote
i am tempted by the q7, to have a camera with me all the time, although i still have to convince myself that the image quality is "enough".
i have read only superficially some reviews; please, tell us, does it have the same colours as the dslr's? i have a k5 i enjoy, i can even disregard the wb errors, but the magenta in the files drives me nuts. is it the same with the q7?
While I am sure there are other members of this forum better qualified to answer that question, colors to me are not a serious issue unless they get way out of whack and when that happens I find it is usually OE. I generally focus on image detail which is very important to my type of photography. However in social situations, as I described, or when running errands, I am just looking at capturing a moment in time that might otherwise be missed and doing it with something better than what my cell phone can give me. (While that is not why I purchased it, my Windows based Nokia cell phone was ranked as having one of the best cameras when it was released.) I’ve got the Q7 on my belt right now as I prepare to make a bicycle run to the bank. While not a replacement for my “serious” K cameras, I find the Q7 nicely complements my K series cameras.
12-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #6

If you look in my thread about the Mount Shield Lens you'll see some straight-from-camera JPGs from my Q10 using the default settings, which might give some idea.

I have one of the genuine Pentax "Multi-Bag"s, which fits the Q10, 02 zoom, 07 lens, spare battery and memory card (could easily get another of each in), lens hood, remote control, and has enough space for either a couple of the primes or the 06 zoom. Can't fit the battery charger in but there wouldn't be a lot of point in taking that out and about anyway!
12-08-2014, 01:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The photo of mine in this thread
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/226555-06-day-night-use-exam...ml#post2404308
Is with the 06 and is very mildly tweaked and cropped. Some descent photos in the thread.

12-08-2014, 09:35 PM - 1 Like   #8
Staff Writer

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
In other words as a result of it’s portability and unobtrusive size, this little camera has become more of a companion and witness recording my daily experiences than my larger K series cameras ever were.
This, exactly, is why my fav rig when I was a pro was my Auto 110, not my bag full of LXs. It's exactly why I loved the Q, and now the Q7 best of all. I've never been a compact camera fan; my vision tends toward ultra-wides and, to a lesser extent, telephotos. So the vast majority of compacts have lenses covering all the focal lengths I find most boring.

So these days I carry my Q7 with the 08 -- just a stupid good lens -- with the 06 in a pocket. Makes me happy.

Cjf
12-09-2014, 12:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Yes same reason why I love my Q.

Heck I road 700km's yesterday and the Q came sans case, with strap around my neck under my motorcycle jacket. It was perfect! It's just to dam light to be noticed on the bike and it was perfectly located for when I wanted it.

Oh, I found a 40.5mm "Waltz" branded skyline filter to screw over the top. Now I don't even bother with a case nor lens cap.

The map did say there should have been tar here.. but it was wrong. I was late, and it was damp, and not liking the regular logging trucks I had passed previous to this point I chickened out and turned back finding more tar.

I like to think the cows thought I was a distant relative dressed in cloth similar :P

Now, I wish the 08 prime was a little wider...... what are those wide angles like again :P
12-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
Yes same reason why I love my Q.

Heck I road 700km's yesterday and the Q came sans case, with strap around my neck under my motorcycle jacket. It was perfect! It's just to dam light to be noticed on the bike and it was perfectly located for when I wanted it.

Oh, I found a 40.5mm "Waltz" branded skyline filter to screw over the top. Now I don't even bother with a case nor lens cap.

The map did say there should have been tar here.. but it was wrong. I was late, and it was damp, and not liking the regular logging trucks I had passed previous to this point I chickened out and turned back finding more tar.

I like to think the cows thought I was a distant relative dressed in cloth similar :P

Now, I wish the 08 prime was a little wider...... what are those wide angles like again :P

While your form of transportation differs slightly from my preferred rides we get to enjoy similar experiences. Your images prompted me to start the Touring by Motorcycle Group. . Touring by Motorcycle - PentaxForums.com
You might consider reposting your images to that group as I am sure others will appreciate sharing in your two wheeled adventures.

I liked the shallow depth of field in photographing your Q camera. The shot of it on the cup immediately reminded me of what we all get after a chilling ride and the other shot made me feel that the camera was awaiting it’s next adventure in much the same manner as the photo documentarians of old. The damp/wet cloudy conditions with the bike set off to the side with what appears to be a wet rear tire represents the decisions those of us who encounter such conditions must face. Should we continue.

Well done!!

Grabbing my Q7 and heading out on the Magna to run a few errands.
12-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
On the right is the Vivitar bag I procured for the Q series
Do you have a link for that little case? I have a case I use for the Q but this looks like a proper mini camera case.
12-09-2014, 02:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Do you have a link for that little case? I have a case I use for the Q but this looks like a proper mini camera case.
The OP says its a Vivitar VIV-DKS-5. But I can't find the 5 listed anywhere but there is a 4 listed by several sellers (VIV-DKS-4).
12-09-2014, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Here is a link to the current listing for the Vivitar bag. As I recall shipping took about one week but that was not during the busy Holiday shipping season.
Vivitar VIV DKS 4 Small Camcorder Case | eBay
While I paid about $5 each when I made my first purchase of two bags from this seller, the current price is $8.99 which is much less than what you pay for similar bags in stores however shipping is still free. I ordered two more for my acquaintances that recently ordered Q7’s.

In this thread I showed another bag that I purchased. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/275176-pentax-holster-case-o...06-lenses.html
Mine had the Pentax logo on the outside and is about 25% larger than the Vivitar bag however the padding does not seem to be as thick and as a whole, this bag seems more flimsy. Here is the current listing which does not show the front of the bag so I do not know if it has the Pentax logo. Bag Case for Pentax Camera Optio K 01 WG1 WG2 X70 x90 43WR W10 W30 W90 RZ18 VS20 | eBay

Last edited by CWRailman; 12-09-2014 at 03:16 PM.
12-09-2014, 09:14 PM   #14
Staff Writer

Check out a Q7! Your 21.3mm (equivalent) 08 will suddenly be a 17.5. Can't take that lens off mine...

Oh, and nice ride!

Cjf
12-09-2014, 09:39 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you mean the 08 zoom? I thought it was a wide zoom - your pic shows an 01 prime?