Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2014, 02:17 PM   #1

zoom focus assist with manual lenses

Is it me or zoom focus assist is only available with Pentax lenses? What the point of focus assistance with lenses that already autofocus and no assistance with actual manual focus lenses?
Seems totally backward.

12-10-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
When using full manual lenses I push the center "ok" button on my K30 when in live view and it zooms in until I take the photo. You can also set the camera to zoom different amounts, and stay zoomed for different amounts of time. I think you also have to turn this feature on in the menus. What camera do you have?
12-10-2014, 02:36 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you mean "live view magnification" then stillshot2 is right.
If you mean "focus assist" then it's the green hexagon that pops up in the viewfinder when you achieve focus, and it's also available with manual focus lenses.
12-10-2014, 03:12 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
There is also the Pentax exclusive amazing " Catch in Focus " with manual lenses.
Like semi auto focus, fantastic for macro.

12-10-2014, 05:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
If you mean "live view magnification" then stillshot2 is right.
If you mean "focus assist" then it's the green hexagon that pops up in the viewfinder when you achieve focus, and it's also available with manual focus lenses.
QuoteOriginally posted by Spare Tire Quote
Is it me or zoom focus assist is only available with Pentax lenses? What the point of focus assistance with lenses that already autofocus and no assistance with actual manual focus lenses?
Seems totally backward.

What Spare Tire is asking is why the focus assist light beam doesn't work with manual lenses. I believe that it only "assists" the auto focus function to focus properly when the available light is too low and that is why the lens has to be AF capable.

---------- Post added 10-12-14 at 17:21 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
There is also the Pentax exclusive amazing " Catch in Focus " with manual lenses.
Like semi auto focus, fantastic for macro.
"Catch in Focus" is a great feature but what Spare Tire wants is to be able to focus in first place. Only then one can really use that catching ! As for the "for macro" advantage maybe for moving characters, not still subjects.

Last edited by RuiC; 12-10-2014 at 05:23 PM. Reason: wrong quote for Bobpur
12-10-2014, 10:28 PM   #6

Original Poster
I'm using the Q7. So I'm asking about live view focus assist that zooms in the live view, and the particular context of C-mount lenses used with an adapter.
12-11-2014, 02:41 AM - 1 Like   #7

Spare Tire - I assume you're referring to the way that the better Q lenses will automatically zoom the live view screen when you manually focus, whereas others don't.

The reason is simple - the camera doesn't know when you're manually focusing the other lenses, because that information isn't communicated from the lens to the camera. However, you can still zoom live view to assist focusing by pressing the 'OK' button.

Last edited by NeilGratton; 12-11-2014 at 05:36 AM.
12-11-2014, 04:53 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks Neil, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

12-11-2014, 07:06 PM   #9
Forum Member

I presume you're talking about K cameras? In relation to the Q10,

1. Where can one learn about that catch focus thing?

2. Is there a way to have the zoom last longer?

3. Is there an indicator of some kind on the LCD that there is something in focus?

All I have is the 'focus assist' meaning focused edges are highlighted. (which has nothing to do with the AF assist light)

---------- Post added 12-12-14 at 02:09 AM ----------

Rats, I meant focus peaking, not focus assist!