Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
Forum Member

How do the dynamic range settings work?

I'm trying to understand when I should have the highlight and shadow corrections on, and when off.

HC Restricts minimum ISO to 200. That should explain what the mechanism involved is, but I'm not sure of any of my interpretations. And SC does make some shadows become lighter, but I don't know how it does it, the overall contrast doesn't seem changed.

Does anyone know?

12-13-2014, 05:23 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Antonio Marques Quote
HC Restricts minimum ISO to 200. That should explain what the mechanism involved is, but I'm not sure of any of my interpretations. And SC does make some shadows become lighter, but I don't know how it does it, the overall contrast doesn't seem changed.
When highlight corrections are enabled, the camera underexposes by a stop in an attempt to eliminate clipped highlights, then boosts the shadows to correct the exposure. You'd get the same results by shooting a RAW file at ISO 100 with a shutter speed/aperture combination that's 1 EV below the program line, and then recovering the shadows in post.

Shadow correction, on the other hand, simply boosts the shadows without changing the exposure at the time of capture.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks!
12-15-2014, 02:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Antonio Marques Quote
I'm trying to understand when I should have the highlight and shadow corrections on, and when off.
Turn them on in high-contrast situations, such as sunny outdoors, snow or backlight.
regards,
--Anders.