Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2014, 03:04 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax Q10 for portraits / HSS flash

I have been looking to get faster flash sync speed out of my K5ii when i noticed Qs have leaf shutter lenses. Unfortunately i am unable to find many portrait/ studio work samples from Q and was wondering if its good enough.

I will use the Q mainly outside (sometimes studio) just to get that HSS, even without that flash sync speed bonus the small package is appealing. VERY Appealing.

I can get a Q10 + kit zoom for 120£ or a DA 40xs but can't really decide ( considering leaf shutter bonus and smaller package but loss of image quality)

My photos are mainly for facebook/dvds and small prints (12x8 most) but is image quality good enough.

(Qs looks sexy)

12-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
It'd be easier to just use a ND filter on the K5ii
12-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think the Q system is well-suited for portraiture because of bokeh issues. The image quality is certainly going to be good enough for web-sized images, but it'll be very difficult to get that creamy bokeh.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-14-2014, 04:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ecem Zekai Quote
Unfortunately i am unable to find many portrait/ studio work samples from Q and was wondering if its good enough.
If you are in a studio and have some backdrops that you like, DOF is not a problem. Here is one from the Fuji X10 shot in the studio.

Regards!

12-14-2014, 04:14 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ecem Zekai Quote
I have been looking to get faster flash sync speed out of my K5ii when i noticed Qs have leaf shutter lenses. Unfortunately i am unable to find many portrait/ studio work samples from Q and was wondering if its good enough.
The fast (1/2000) flash sync is only with the built in flash though, external flashes are 1/250 or something like that.
12-14-2014, 06:40 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Another, and better exposed, studio shot of the same girl with the X10 in the studio with a dark background. Outside shooting, the X10/X20 will sync with flash to 1/4000, which can be very useful for outside shooting.
X10

These little cameras are not the best choice for portrait shooting, but I have had some very good results with them at times.
X20

The key is patience in getting the exposure right....these little cameras seem tricky on that point.

Regards!
01-01-2015, 12:01 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I kinda think the Qs are as capable as you want them to be. Focus in on the eyes, use the correct lighting and do the right post processing and it works great.

Take a look at this portrait captured by Heinrich Lohman's wife. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/284171-given-up-old-q-q7-q-s...-improved.html

Check post #13,
11-04-2015, 02:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

it seems to be possible to trigger an external dumb flash or P-TTL Flash that is set to slavemode SL2. with the internal flash.(that indeed syncs up to 1/2000)
i havent tried yet, but i will in a few minutes.

11-04-2015, 05:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

seems to work up to 1/1000 - Q-S1 , Camera Menu, C1, 1., option 1(only leaf shutter) , mounted AF 540FGZ directly on the Q-S1 with a dumb "hotshoe spacer"... , popped up the internal flash. worked like most of the times...2-3 out of 10 times it did not work in the end battery got low, i dont know if that mattered but then things went dark
11-05-2015, 07:20 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
While I would also suggest using the K-5II for such work that is not your question so.... I'm not sure about the Q10 but I have used the Q7 for some portraits. This is about a 75% crop of the original shot which was done in color then Lightroom 2 was used to strip of color and incorporate the vignetting to get this B&W version. In the second shot you will see that it was printed at 16x20" and framed as the deliverable. There is a lot of glare in the glass, only because of the conditions under which I took the shot of the deliverable.

11-05-2015, 01:42 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CWRailman Quote
While I would also suggest using the K-5II for such work that is not your question so.... I'm not sure about the Q10 but I have used the Q7 for some portraits. This is about a 75% crop of the original shot which was done in color then Lightroom 2 was used to strip of color and incorporate the vignetting to get this B&W version. In the second shot you will see that it was printed at 16x20" and framed as the deliverable. There is a lot of glare in the glass, only because of the conditions under which I took the shot of the deliverable.
I think this question has been asked before, but I've also encountered reflections so I'll ask it again:
have you tried a polarizer to eliminate reflections like this?
11-05-2015, 10:10 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I think this question has been asked before, but I've also encountered reflections so I'll ask it again:
have you tried a polarizer to eliminate reflections like this?

The glare of the framed portrait was no big deal. It was just a grabbed shot to show the large size of a Q7 portrait shot and record hanging it on her wall. You know how some folks are. They don't believe you produced that size print from a Q7 unless you show them the proof. There is no glare in the portrait itself and the glare could have been eliminated if I thought it was necessary.