Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2014, 04:11 PM   #1

Q-S1 RAW dev and WB problem

Hello! I'm a longtime Q user, and just unwrapped a new Q-S1 today. As I settle in with the camera, I've noticed a few anomalies vs the original Q and I'm hoping someone here has experienced them and knows a workaround.

Firstly, I shoot raw+jpg and often re-develop Raws in the Q. This still works similarly, but I noticed whenever I develop a raw it crops the new image. I can't seem to keep the original as-shot image crop. I usually shoot 3:2, so I thought this might be an issue with the new QS1, but even swapping back to 4:3 and developing a raw to 4:3 as-shot results in the slight crop. Anyone know what's going on here?

White Balance: I often use custom WB in the Q, as my favorite color mode (reversal film) needs accurate WB. In the Q-S1, I can't get the custom WB to work, no matter what I point it at. As I've been using this same process with my Q for years, there has to be something different about the QS1; I only occasionally get the "operation could not be completed successfully" on the Q, but get this every time I try to set WB on the new model. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks, all, for your thoughts. Still love my original Q, I've been using it quite a bit lately. Here's my Q shots to date, if you're interested in seeing the work I do with it
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ndjedinak/tags/pentaxq/

12-26-2014, 07:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ndjedinak Quote
I can't get the custom WB to work, no matter what I point it at
Are you using a gray card or some other kind of white balance device? What are you pointing it at?
12-26-2014, 08:23 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Are you using a gray card or some other kind of white balance device? What are you pointing it at?
I usually use a white piece of paper. I also tried a gray piece of paper, which also didn't work.

My Q will WB on the same piece of paper OK. (I tried both side by side)

Interestingly, i was able to get A custom WB to work outdoors, as long as I didn't point at a highly shaded white object. I wonder if the QS1 custom WB has a smaller range than the Q, I did notice in the manual auto WB only balances from 4k to 8k; indoors you will often be in the 2500-3000 range.

For now, I'm using Tungsten preset and tweaking to taste with additional Amber. It works OK, but it's not as handy as point and set, nor as accurate.

Thanks for the response!
12-30-2014, 08:12 PM   #4

Original Poster
I established an OK workaround for the WB issue: I use the tungsten preset, and tweak the color to taste. It's not as accurate in certain light (I can't get enough Amber at times), nor as handy, but it's good enough for now.

I still have now figured out why re-developing a raw is causing a forced crop (no matter what the selected aspect ratio is). A firmware bug, perhaps? It makes in-camera raw development fairly useless, as I rarely crop my images and compose in camera... Bummer.