Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2014, 04:35 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
This is off topic to your original question, but

Is that The Little Mermaid wielding two ninja swords?
Why yes it is.

12-29-2014, 04:57 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by murrelet Quote
So, if I forced a slower exposure time, perhaps using an ND filter, could that help ensure the overall light output hitting each pixel is consistent?
It should work. And if you don't have the means to take a single longer exposure you could stack a number of short exposures (where the banding will be randomly placed, one assumes).

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Well, of the tube. But I have a million shots taken under such lamps -- they don't have banding like is shown here.
The mechanical shutters are usually much faster than the electronic shutter on the Q, but all mechanical focal plane shutters have this problem if the lamps are fast enough. (I would guess your shutter is in the ballpark of 1/500, call it 30 times faster. That should still be slow enough that you get some inconsistency between top and bottom on some pictures (with the same lamp), but it won't be anywhere near as noticeable. And of course often you use a slow enough shutter that the effect disappears completely.)
12-30-2014, 10:10 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
The mechanical shutters are usually much faster than the electronic shutter on the Q, but all mechanical focal plane shutters have this problem if the lamps are fast enough. (I would guess your shutter is in the ballpark of 1/500, call it 30 times faster. That should still be slow enough that you get some inconsistency between top and bottom on some pictures (with the same lamp), but it won't be anywhere near as noticeable. And of course often you use a slow enough shutter that the effect disappears completely.)
For my tabletop setup, I was using slow shutter speeds under such lights as I was normally shooting at ISO 100 and f/11 or f/16 for such shots. Flickering fluorescents was always something that had to be dealt with back in my film cinematography days, but never gave it a thought with stills (other than just a color temperature problem) -- guess it just hasn't come up. (Probably because those type of lights don't put out nearly enough to ever be shooting at high shutter speed without supplemental lights.)