Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2014, 06:27 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
SpeedBooster for Pen Q?

Hey guys, I'm not sure if you guys are familiar with "SpeedBoosters" but they're somewhat popular with micro4/3 users as well as Sony Nex shooters........in essence they're adapters that have optical glass that projects a full frame image onto the smaller sensored m4/3 and APS-C Sony cameras. They actually increase the light projected onto the sensor via concentration and give the same focal length of the lens without the sensor crop due to the projected image onto the sensor.............couldn't this be done with Pentax Q adapters? Imagine the extra light speed to adapted lenses as well as intended focal lengths of lenses.......this would open up a world of focal lengths not currently available to Pen Q users.
Because the Pen Q is small- I would imagine this adapter is quite possible and would be an amazing addition to the Pentax Q enthusiast.

~~~ Just thoughts ~~~~ would be awesome if someone made one!

Old video........there are now AF adapters for Canon with Nikon coming and now they're on version II......so the video is slightly dated towards the end- but still impressive to watch~

Video:

Metabones®

Last edited by SteveNunez; 12-30-2014 at 06:37 PM.
12-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is the first time I have heard of these. Certainly an interesting idea.
12-30-2014, 07:38 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Pioneer, yeah they're basically a magnifying glass that projects a reduced lens image onto smaller sensors; concentrating light and producing faster adapted lenses- this is taking the video world by storm- super popular amongst film guys and now photo guys are using them to great effect!
12-31-2014, 05:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

It would be excellent: I love the idea of transforming my FA 50mm f/1.4 into a 50mm f/0.25 on my Pentax Q.

12-31-2014, 05:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They are called retro focus adaptors. Retro focus lens elements have been employed for a very long time, since Angenieux first patented the design.

These elements allow for wide angle lenses to be attached to cameras where the focal length of the lens is smaller than the registration distance of the lens. All wide angle SLR lenses use these elements.

Essentially they are the opposite of teleconverters.
12-31-2014, 07:12 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Judging by this table, it should be relatively trivial to make a strictly mechanical adapter to fit one of the existing focal reducers to Q-mount. Say, Nikon F to Sony E focal reducer, then Sony E to Pentax Q 'dumb' adapter. Sadly, such an adapter cannot be used with most native E-mount lenses since these are controlled electronically from the camera body; this is true for all modern mirrorless systems.

Ideally, we'd have a K-Q 4x focal reducer with built-in leaf shutter and aperture control. It would cost an arm and a leg, and Petax would be doomed.* The DA* 55 would become a 13.8 mm f/0.35 lens.

*Pentax was always doomed.

Last edited by Jens Lyn IV; 12-31-2014 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Now with added nonsense!