Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2014, 03:20 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Given up on old Q- is Q7/Q-S1 much improved?

Hey guys, I've just about given up on the original Q as I just don't like the image quality- is the new sensor in the Q7/S1 much improved over the original Q?

I've read the occasional comment where people state the newer sensor is improved but is the improvement that much better?
I know this is a subjective question and I've seen a few "comparison" photos but they weren't as telling as I'd like.
I primarily shoot portraits (occasional wildlife) and I've never been happy with the images the original Q captures.

I've gone ahead and ordered a new Q7 and a bunch of Pentax Q lenses and am hoping I'll be impressed by the new sensor- just hope I don't get disappointed....and end up dumping everything on eBay at a loss.

Anyone own both for long enough time to really gauge the differences.......any comments?
(Main gripes are color tonalities and dynamic range- & sharpness!)

(I'm a pixel peeping Sony A7 full frame shooter and am a bit spoiled by the superb IQ of the A7 and adapted lenses.)

Thanks guys~~

Cheers and Happy New Years!!!!!

(I ordered both an all black Q7 and a silver/black Q7- which do you guys like better- I'm torn between them!)

12-31-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Wow, I get great results from my original Q with either the 01 or 06 lens. But then I always shoot RAW and tinker in LR for important pics.
I was blown away when I bought it as I was literally getting better photos from it than the K-7 I had at the time.
I've never seen any image form the Q7 that would cause me to consider upgrading, the original Q still surprises me.

But if you are comparing the Q to a Sony A7 full frame?? Well, I think you might have missed the point of the Q.
12-31-2014, 03:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
Steve, thank you for the reply. I wasn't comparing the Q to the A7, I know they're totally opposites in many respects..........just have never been impressed with Q captures and am wondering just how much more I'd be impressed with the Q7 IQ..............I'm crossing fingers; there's always eBay or this forum's "Classifieds" if I decide to leave the Q realm..........but I'm holding on to hope for improved IQ!
12-31-2014, 03:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Shot the Q7 on my trip to Paris Great IQ see link below, I have been more than happy with it., I also shoot a K30 but when traveling I bring the Q7 kit and my Canon S100 it has almost the same IQ

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/172196-lets-share-shots-q-281.html#post2990389

Last edited by hnikesch; 12-31-2014 at 04:05 PM.
12-31-2014, 03:59 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveNunez Quote
Hey guys, I've just about given up on the original Q as I just don't like the image quality- is the new sensor in the Q7/S1 much improved over the original Q?

I've read the occasional comment where people state the newer sensor is improved but is the improvement that much better?
I know this is a subjective question and I've seen a few "comparison" photos but they weren't as telling as I'd like.
I primarily shoot portraits (occasional wildlife) and I've never been happy with the images the original Q captures.

I've gone ahead and ordered a new Q7 and a bunch of Pentax Q lenses and am hoping I'll be impressed by the new sensor- just hope I don't get disappointed....and end up dumping everything on eBay at a loss.

Anyone own both for long enough time to really gauge the differences.......any comments?
(Main gripes are color tonalities and dynamic range- & sharpness!)

(I'm a pixel peeping Sony A7 full frame shooter and am a bit spoiled by the superb IQ of the A7 and adapted lenses.)

Thanks guys~~

Cheers and Happy New Years!!!!!

(I ordered both an all black Q7 and a silver/black Q7- which do you guys like better- I'm torn between them!)
At the end of the day the image quality of the Q7 is in the same class as that of the Q, though it's without a doubt a step up thanks to the larger sensor.

What really makes the Q7 a better camera in my eyes is the improved user interface. Not only does the camera feel more responsive, but you get faster AF, an electronic level, and more options in the control panel. Those features make everyday shooting easier, and that's what it should all be about in a camera this small.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-31-2014, 04:29 PM   #6

Original Poster
Adam so you feel the IQ of the original Q is very similar to that of the Q7?
12-31-2014, 04:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I feel it is much better than the Orig Q to a point that I don't shoot my Q any more, I did some testing and the Q7 when shooting the same lens as the Q then crop the Q7 image to the same field of view as the Q image the Q7 image is still better. Now it is not as good as my K30 but when traveling I take the Q7, what do you think check out my Paris shots in the above link

12-31-2014, 04:53 PM   #8

Original Poster
Hope lives!
Bought the 01, 03. 04, 06 and 08 lenses......the 02 lens was bundled......so if this doesn't go well they'll all be up for sale (& 6 batteries)......if IQ is much improved then I'll get the DA300 lens and k adapter and have fun!
12-31-2014, 05:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hmm... I'm able to squeeze out some very good IQ from my little Q thanks to the high quality lenses and doing my own post processing of RAW data. Are you shooting in JPG with too much compression perhaps?
12-31-2014, 05:24 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I have a MX-1, which shares the same sensor as the Q7, and it is impressive for its size. It's capabilities far surpass that of a smaller point and shoot sensor, which is the size that is in the original Q. Here is a sample

12-31-2014, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it's all a question of expectations... If you're wanting a small easy to carry kit while accepting the compromises over a large sensor cam, you'll be fine. If you pixel peep and hope it's the same level as your large sensors, it won't be. I like the Q series because it's a complete system from ultra wide to insane telephoto AND it's super portable. Take away the "and" in the last sentence and I would not own it. Expecting less from this kit than a DSLR, to me, lets me be more playful and more willing to experiment. When using the Q because of it's weight and size, I can shove my arm out and take a pic from angles where I'd need wardrobe changes if I was using a DSLR. And people don't freeze uncomfortably nearly as much as when I point a DSLR at them either. So there's some definite advantages with the Q system beyond being leaps beyond the pic quality of my cell phone.

I think the outlook of Blunty on youtube best summarizes my feelings about the Q system at around the 6 minute mark:
12-31-2014, 05:54 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the Q and the Q7. I now only ever use the Q for its extra crop factor with my DA*300.

The Q7 is better in lower light, it's more responsive in general use, it has better ergonomics and most importantly it makes every Q system lens I have better (for me) by allowing a wider field of view. I imagine it is a little like using a K-mount lens on APS-C and then on full frame.
12-31-2014, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Q, 01 lens wide open:

12-31-2014, 06:51 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Original Q, 01 lens wide open:
That is showing them. The Q takes fine pictures if the photographer knows how to use it.
12-31-2014, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveNunez Quote
Hope lives!
Bought the 01, 03. 04, 06 and 08 lenses......the 02 lens was bundled......so if this doesn't go well they'll all be up for sale (& 6 batteries)......if IQ is much improved then I'll get the DA300 lens and k adapter and have fun!

May I suggest that you give yourself at least a year before contemplating "...doesn't go well...". The Q7 has a learning curve as do each of the lenses you've acquired. Also, be prepared to do the work needed to up your post processing skills. For a while you'll be juggling lots of balls, but once you catch the 'groove', you are in for a ton of fun.

Cheers... M