Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2014, 09:49 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had fun taking this picture a few minutes ago. If you look in the yellowish ball to the right, you can see my distorted reflection. I took this at ISO=1600 with my Q7+01.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q7  Photo 
12-31-2014, 10:18 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
That portrait is really good, probably the best portrait I've seen from a Q, well done......just wondering how much processing went into getting that look.

Thank you all for the replies, I appreciate them all.

I do really want to keep the Q7 and am waiting for the pair to arruve, just can't decide which to keep, the all black or silver/black edition.

Please continue to comment if you can add anything.
Happy New Years everyone!
12-31-2014, 11:34 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I'm not sure what lens(es) you were shooting with before, but certainly the 01 was the only one with top-quality IQ until the 06 and 08 came out.
12-31-2014, 11:36 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Original Q, 01 lens wide open:
Terrific portrait work Heinrich. I can tell I still have a lot to learn but it is certainly nice to know what I'll be able to do once I do learn.

12-31-2014, 11:44 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveNunez Quote
That portrait is really good, probably the best portrait I've seen from a Q, well done......just wondering how much processing went into getting that look.

I do really want to keep the Q7 and am waiting for the pair to arruve, just can't decide which to keep, the all black or silver/black edition.

That image was just a snapshot taken by my wife the day she got her Q, no special lighting, just whatever light came in through the living room window. Standard procession of the raw file.(we shoot everything in raw) Once you get your head around the Q and or Q7 it is a fine camera for what it was designed to do. It most certainly will never replace my K3 or for that matter the K5 but I do think that it is a better performer than the K100 was.(technology keeps marching on) On a trip to Germany last year I just took the Q and a couple of lenses and did just fine. Now that I have the Q7 it has become my travel camera and I sure do like it. Here are a couple of examples:

We just returned from a Caribbean cruise, on board ship I did use the K3 a lot but rarely took it on shore. The Q7 and 5 lenses in a waist belt work just fine and it's a lot less to carry and at my age (82) you'll know the difference.

Take care,

---------- Post added 12-31-14 at 11:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Terrific portrait work Heinrich. I can tell I still have a lot to learn but it is certainly nice to know what I'll be able to do once I do learn.
Thanks for the kind comments but I can't take credit for that one, my wife took it the same day that she got her Q. Mind you I did do the processing.

Take care,
01-01-2015, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the original Q & I think it's just dandy.

It doesn't take the place of my K-x, but then my K-x doesn't take the place of my Q, either.

---------- Post added 01-01-2015 at 12:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Heinrich Lohmann Quote
Now that I have the Q7 it has become my travel camera and I sure do like it. Here are a couple of examples:
LOVE that mountain scene! Great portrait, too! :-)

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 05-10-2015 at 05:46 AM.
01-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #22

Original Poster
That old car photo is just astounding- well done!!!!!!!!!

01-02-2015, 09:04 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
I have the original Q & I think it's just dandy.

It doesn't take the place of my K-x, but then my K-x doesn't take the place of my Q, either.

-
Another person who understands that every tool has it's use. Nice shots.
02-14-2015, 08:16 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally I have not noticed that much of a difference between the Q, Q7 or Q10 in good lighting conditions.
The Q7 may have a slight edge when it comes to lower light situations.
Regardless of the technical merits, or lack thereof, one reason I love my Q (as well as my Q10 and Q7) is that I always have with me and can capture unplanned shots like these

Original Q

Q-10

and the detail that I get with shots like these

Original Q

Q-7

Last edited by robwill; 02-14-2015 at 08:25 AM.
02-15-2015, 07:47 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robwill Quote
Regardless of the technical merits, or lack thereof, one reason I love my Q (as well as my Q10 and Q7) is that I always have with me and can capture unplanned shots like these
Those are awesome! :-)
05-03-2015, 02:27 PM   #26
Forum Member

to me it looks like it was the flash. Of course I am just getting into flash.

---------- Post added 05-03-15 at 05:31 PM ----------

aww shucks, I guess this is an ancient thread. I am still interested in the Q as having bought a few more lenses. The only one i don't have is the 08 now. I did discover off camera flash and the yongnuo560IV I bought is bigger than two Q's. I do like the idea of using flashes though.

---------- Post added 05-03-15 at 05:32 PM ----------

To me it looks like a Q-S1 body costs about the same as a Q7 body.
10-10-2015, 11:20 AM   #27

Hey guys, I've just about given up on the original Q as I just don't like the image quality- is the new sensor in the Q7/S1 much improved over the original Q?
When I bought a Q-S1 I took it out along with an original Q to compare using the S01 prime (which is pretty much all I use other than the occasional legacy lens). The difference in IQ was noticeable, even without pixel peeping. But the IQ was not as good as on 4/3 sensor with a decent lens (so not as good as on FF sensor either, I'm sure). Close, though.
11-04-2015, 02:58 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I'm not sure what lens(es) you were shooting with before, but certainly the 01 was the only one with top-quality IQ until the 06 and 08 came out.
wrong. i dont want to upset someone, but it is very important to look at your cameras inside before you mount a lens(hairs floating to the air etc.) and to have a look that the lenses front and rear elements are clean.
When i had my first Q i missed the point that those lenses are just so incy wincy tiny things, you leave thumbprints and such so easily on it.
And ... sidelight also often plays bad tricks on you, believe me... Use hoods, your results will look much better.

like this shot of my rusty raven in the garden... i made it with a Q-S1 with a Q02 Standard Zoom at 5mm...WIDE OPEN!!!
it its straight out of cam... i wouldnt call this a bad shot.(yeah i maybe should have used a corrected flash to lighten up the raven a bit but i like atmospheric images...)

look:
Attached Images

11-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I've never seen a compelling reason to upgrade from the Original Q. It can deliver impressive results which in many ways rival those I got from the K-7.
I don't care much about sensor size - it's not the limiting factor in my world. I care about results and the original Q always surprises me.

11-05-2015, 03:38 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I like your results, but if you get your hands on one, why not take a try? High ISO is better on the new ones...(and they look a bit cleaner - nonedited and straight out of cam... ) :P - Just like those you do, with your MX-1...
so i understand why you think the upgrade wouldnt be worth the cost.. though the Q lenses are a bit more capable then the MX-1's optics...

but in the end it is all like "Potayto, potahto!"...