Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2015, 06:33 AM   #1
Site Supporter

How strong is the Q10 mount ?

I'm looking at my Tamron 70-300mm and my M200mm, neither lens is exactly light in weight and I'm wondering if I mount the Q10 on a tripod and attach one of these to it will it put too much of a strain on the camera mount.

I thought I'd ask before I found out the hard way.

I've been looking at both these lenses to see where I could put a tripod collar on them and I can't see any place which will not interfere in some way with the operation of the lens.

I have the Kiwi Foto's on/off mount which does not have a tripod mount and as far as I can see adapters that do have tripod feet don't have the on/off switch and I really don't want to lash out at this time for the Pentax K to Q adapter.

There are quite a number of gadgets on e-bay for steadying long lenses but they don't appear to receive the pressure on the Q's mount.

Advice appreciated

CD

01-01-2015, 07:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd avoid it personally, which is why my non-Pentax K-to-Q mount with Aperture control has its own tripod foot.
01-01-2015, 11:20 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have used both your lenses on my Q and I wouldn't use the Q tripod mount with them. If your adapter doesn't have a tripod mount try a lens ring mount like this

Tripod Mount Ring for Canon EF 70 200mm F 2 8 L F2 8 | eBay

You will have to search for the right Inside Diameter
01-01-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

The only one I can think of that supports the camera and lens both is this manfrotto thing:

Manfrotto 293 Telephoto Lens Support with Quick Release 293 B&H

Another DIY option would be to just to somehow mount a platform on your tripod and then just put a beanbag on it (or skip the tripod and just find something you can throw the beanbag on). Depends how maneuverable you want it to be.