Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2015, 01:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Wireless Triggers for the Q

Earlier this year, I saw an IndieGoGo campaign for a set of miniature flash triggers and decided to take a chance on them. They looked like they would be a perfect match for my Q7 and would allow me to more easily bounce flash off the ceiling. I actually received the triggers back in November.

Based on some early testing, they seem to work quite well. The trigger and receiver are both small and work well on the Q7. I actually tried my larger Cactus triggers and they blocked the power button and shutter release on the Q7. Here's a picture:

Paired with my Canon 270EX II flash, it makes for a really portable kit. Below is a sample picture of the only model in the house that would cooperate with me. Shot in Manual mode and bounced the flash off the cathedral ceiling in my living room.

Overall, these have been working well with no issues or misfires (only when I accidentally set my shutter speed to fast for it to sync). I would recommend these for anyone looking for triggers for their Q. It also has the perfect name: FlashQ.

Dave

01-02-2015, 03:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very cool, and very small! Fits the Q-aesthetic perfectly.

How is the build quality? Could they get smooshed in a camera bag with no problem? (Not asking you to try this out... just how do they feel.)
01-02-2015, 04:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Very cool, and very small! Fits the Q-aesthetic perfectly.

How is the build quality? Could they get smooshed in a camera bag with no problem? (Not asking you to try this out... just how do they feel.)
Build quality feels good. It's pretty solid plastic that doesn't feel chinzy. I keep them in a thick pouch in my camera bag to protect them...but they feel like they'll handle normal usage well...but I certainly won't be throwing them against any walls. 😃
01-03-2015, 04:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Great idea, definitely interested.
Price is very reasonable too.
FlashQ Kit (MIDNIGHT BLACK) – LightPix Labs

Well I can't buy one yet because they don't show shipping costs and their Checkout and PayPal buttons go to PayPal HongKong where everything is in Chinese. Sadly I can't read Chinese

Re edit: Well I missed seeing the tiny Language selection menu, still - I see no indication of shipping.

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 01-03-2015 at 05:59 AM.
01-03-2015, 05:52 AM   #5
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Great idea, definitely interested.
Price is very reasonable too.
FlashQ Kit (MIDNIGHT BLACK) – LightPix Labs

Well I can't buy one yet because they don't show shipping costs and their Checkout and PayPal buttons go to PayPal HongKong where everything is in Chinese. Sadly I can't read Chinese
Funny you should say that because I took a look l ast night and came to the same conclusion, but then I noticed an option at the top right of the screen to display in English (there's a little drop down arrow next to some text at the very top right) . I still couldn't see what the shipping was though. Having said that, other sites I've bought from recently show the shipping as the next step in the checkout process. Shipping from most Hong kong eBay sellers is very cheap but personally I'd rather know what I'm going to have to pay before committing to buy.

Anyway, a quick look on eBay found a set in blue from a UK seller for £15 including postage. I would have preferred white to match the Q, or black to match my DSLRs and Canon G9, but for that price I live with the colour.
01-03-2015, 06:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Response from FlashQ

QuoteQuote:
Worldwide shipping cost is US$6, including ship to Australia.
Shipping is added after you go through the PayPal checkout and after you sign in to your PayPal account and after you confirm to buy.. Never seen this procedure before.
So, final cost to me inc shipping AUD$55.63

Last edited by Steve.Ledger; 01-03-2015 at 06:06 AM.
01-03-2015, 05:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Response from FlashQ
Shipping is added after you go through the PayPal checkout and after you sign in to your PayPal account and after you confirm to buy.. Never seen this procedure before.
So, final cost to me inc shipping AUD$55.63
Either that's a lot of shipping for a very short distance, or the AUD has lost some value against the USD. It was $6 USD to ship the two receiver kit to me via Hong Kong Post (and yes, i bought a kit for two flashes just for kicks).

01-04-2015, 01:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Either that's a lot of shipping for a very short distance, or the AUD has lost some value against the USD. It was $6 USD to ship the two receiver kit to me via Hong Kong Post (and yes, i bought a kit for two flashes just for kicks).
As mentioned in post#6, $6 shipping (worldwide).
Yes the US dollar has got stronger recently.

39 US Dollar equals 48.21 Australian Dollar

6 US Dollar equals 7.42 Australian Dollar

48.21+7.42 = 55.63 Australian Dollar
01-04-2015, 08:13 AM   #9
Pentaxian

As mentioned in post#6, $6 shipping (worldwide).
Yes the US dollar has got stronger recently.

39 US Dollar equals 48.21 Australian Dollar

6 US Dollar equals 7.42 Australian Dollar

48.21+7.42 = 55.63 Australian Dollar
Pedantic much?
01-04-2015, 01:17 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveInPA Quote
Earlier this year, I saw an IndieGoGo campaign for a set of miniature flash triggers and decided to take a chance on them. They looked like they would be a perfect match for my Q7 and would allow me to more easily bounce flash off the ceiling. I actually received the triggers back in November.

Based on some early testing, they seem to work quite well. The trigger and receiver are both small and work well on the Q7. I actually tried my larger Cactus triggers and they blocked the power button and shutter release on the Q7. Here's a picture:

Paired with my Canon 270EX II flash, it makes for a really portable kit. Below is a sample picture of the only model in the house that would cooperate with me. Shot in Manual mode and bounced the flash off the cathedral ceiling in my living room.

Overall, these have been working well with no issues or misfires (only when I accidentally set my shutter speed to fast for it to sync). I would recommend these for anyone looking for triggers for their Q. It also has the perfect name: FlashQ.

Dave
Since the trigger is mounted on the hot-shoe, are you putting the flash on some kind of stand?
01-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Since the trigger is mounted on the hot-shoe, are you putting the flash on some kind of stand?
I could have...but in my tests I have been hand-holding the flash with one hand and shooting the Q7 with the other, doing my best to stabilize the Q7.

I shot manual so I was able to ensure a good shutter speed.
01-04-2015, 02:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Pedantic much?
What? Why the insult!?. I was responding to your query..
Geezsh.... Talk about friendly.