Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2015, 01:57 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Video performance Q7 & S1?

Hey guys, I know there's a bump in still image quality with the newer larger sensors on the Q7 & S1.......how has this affected IQ in video mode?

Upon checking Quicktime I see the standard Q records with a data rate of 14 mbps or so-(which isn't too good) anyone know what the data rate of Q7/S1 videos are?

I'm curious to know if the video captures are also improved or data rate increased.
Cheers guys~

(If you want to know the data rate of videos played with Quicktime on a Mac- just press "command + I" for "info" and it will show a window with video stats.......check "Data Rate")

01-02-2015, 02:08 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveNunez Quote
Upon checking Quicktime I see the standard Q records with a data rate of 14 mbps or so-(which isn't too good) anyone know what the data rate of Q7/S1 videos are?
The same- just checked. The Q-S1 does have one new video feature compared to the Q7, and that's continuous video AF. The Q7 also has some improvements over the original Q as noted in our in-depth review.

Review: Pentax Q7 - Movie/Video Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews
Review: Pentax Q-S1 - Movie/Video Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-02-2015, 02:50 PM   #3

Original Poster
I knew about the AF with the S1- but a YouTube reviewer said it missed tracking allot and wasn't really impressed.......was just hoping for better data rates like AVCHD 24mbps.........at least 17mbps .mov would have been nice.....hopefully the sensor produces better dynamic range in the videos.
Thanks for the reply!
01-04-2015, 06:32 PM   #4

Original Poster
I tried lowering the fps to 24 with the Q7 hoping it would keep the 30fps data rate but instead the video data rate dropped to just slightly over 10mbps which is sad.....It would have been great if the Q7 could maintain the 14mbps data rate at 24p.....we would have seen a qualiy jump at 24p!