Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2015, 06:35 PM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Interesting...I have never had lag, with the MX-1 and all I shoot is RAW.
What speed SD card are you using?
I'm quoting from the In-Depth Review here:

Review: Pentax MX-1 - General Performance | PentaxForums.com Reviews

They were using "a professional 95Mb/s SD card from SanDisk".

01-12-2015, 09:17 PM   #62
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
I'm quoting from the In-Depth Review here:

Review: Pentax MX-1 - General Performance | PentaxForums.com Reviews

They were using "a professional 95Mb/s SD card from SanDisk".
Hmm..I guess maybe, but since I shoot only raw, at worst, it's a second to do anything?

It's an MX-1 not one of my K3 cameras.

I can't honestly say I had a problem.

01-13-2015, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #63
Loyal Site Supporter

You ever think that sometimes test results are more important to the testers?

If it weren't for them we wouldn't know what was wrong with out favorite cameras.
01-15-2015, 06:54 PM   #64
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveNunez Quote
My biggest gripe is the rather mediocre LCD, which we need to manually focus adapted lenses.....and when used with LCD magnifiers the poor LCD quality becomes apparent making manual ficus difficult......obviously the lack of an eye viewfinder is really tough.
Agreed

01-15-2015, 07:04 PM   #65
Site Supporter

Image quality was the biggest disappointment.

I now use an MX-1, which is almost the perfect travel camera.
Fast lens, flippy screen and all the modes.

The MX-1 is definitely the camera that is always on me.
The Q7 has the same sensor as the MX-1 does. Are you saying that it works better on the MX-1 than on the Q7?

The Q series had promise to me, but back to having a load of lenses with me, and no flippy screen really limits how I can use it as a travel camera.

The Q is a nice toy however.
The MX-1 has a 6mm-24mm lens built in. The 02 lens is 5mm-15mm, and the 06 lens is 15mm-45mm, so carrying just two lenses with you (hardly "a load" in my view), gives you a lot more flexibility with the Q7 than you get with the MX-1. I guess that is why the same company will make both a "compact" camera and a "mirror-less" camera - each one speaks to a different "market".
01-15-2015, 10:37 PM   #66
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The Q7 has the same sensor as the MX-1 does. Are you saying that it works better on the MX-1 than on the Q7?

The MX-1 has a 6mm-24mm lens built in. The 02 lens is 5mm-15mm, and the 06 lens is 15mm-45mm, so carrying just two lenses with you (hardly "a load" in my view), gives you a lot more flexibility with the Q7 than you get with the MX-1. I guess that is why the same company will make both a "compact" camera and a "mirror-less" camera - each one speaks to a different "market".
I'm comparing the MX-1 to my original Q.
I've not gotten a Q7.
Maybe I should pick one up and get my Q lenses out!

01-16-2015, 08:22 AM   #67

Lauren, highly recommended- the larger sensor is definitely better!
01-19-2015, 09:44 AM   #68

Original Poster
Again, thank you all for your comments. I can see the Q system is neither an alternative to a DSLR, nor really a mirrorless CSC (given its uniQue size).

There was only one way to know for sure......I've taken the plunge and ordered a Q-S1 (a deal on Amazon that undercuts all the others, including the Q7). I'll let you all know how it goes!

01-19-2015, 10:45 PM   #69
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kentishrev Quote
Again, thank you all for your comments. I can see the Q system is neither an alternative to a DSLR, nor really a mirrorless CSC (given its uniQue size).

There was only one way to know for sure......I've taken the plunge and ordered a Q-S1 (a deal on Amazon that undercuts all the others, including the Q7). I'll let you all know how it goes!
Is the deal still live and do you mind sharing it?
01-20-2015, 12:31 AM   #70

Original Poster
The prices seem to change daily. I got a Q-S1 with twin zoom kit for 328 GBP. That one seems to have gone now, but there is a single zoom kit for around the same price right now - which is good in itself. I just watched for a few days and then, when the obvious bargain appeared, pressed the button.
01-20-2015, 05:35 AM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveNunez Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I bought a similar device via eBay, but I had to modify it to fit my Q7, because the Q7's LCD is off-center.
The description of this is a tad unclear; are you saying that it will work with the Q-family without any modification??
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Thanks for the link. For $28 it's certainly worth a try, though it looks absolutely massive.
You can get a Nikon V5 knock off for about $10 that does the same thing, but I would agree with most,moth my previous bridge camera and DSLRs have eye level view finder, which is very important for serious work, especially telephoto, but also in bright sunlight
01-20-2015, 08:28 PM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
You ever think that sometimes test results are more important to the testers?
You could ask the PF staff who did the review about that.
01-21-2015, 12:59 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
You could ask the PF staff who did the review about that.
My point was that most camera test results rarely tell me what I need to know for my own use. I have read glowing recommendations only to find the camera doesn't work for me. The opposing is also true.

I personally think that some, (no one here of course), place too much reliance on camera reviews. Of course it is a rare thing for people to buy a camera or lens based on what they need to improve their own work, rather they buy based on a few unsubstantiated promises that it will certainly improve anything that is wrong with your work.

If you do decide that a Q7 or QS1 may be worthwhile, then it is useful to decide in advance how it will fit into, and improve, your current way of working. Or how it may promote a completely new type of photography for you. But to just buy one based on a review and hope that you will be equally impressed may not be the best way to buy things.
01-21-2015, 01:21 PM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
But to just buy one based on a review and hope that you will be equally impressed may not be the best way to buy things.
For the Q and Q7, I hope that Blunty's reviews did not have that kind of effect.

Earlier, we were discussing the MX-1.
I found the PF test very helpful,
where they pointed out the slow start-up, response, and read times with RAW.
Those were show-stoppers for me personally.
01-21-2015, 03:27 PM   #75

Original Poster
The hope is this will fill a gap for me. I can see the Q-S1 providing the telephoto option for me (I'm not a fan of those bigger Pentax DSLR lenses, and don't get me started on Sigma!). It will be good too for an easy-carry zoom in any case. I'm looking at it as a more fun option. I wanted to know the potential pitfalls before I pressed the 'basket' button!